Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

Let's discuss our amateur radio net here, including suggestions for net topics.
BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Re: Keller Peak Repeater IRLP

Post by BlueFJ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:34 am

Any update on a total?
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 pm

BlueFJ wrote:Any update on a total?

On the total, not yet. I don't have the full details but I do know that OAUSA met its share. Numbers should be out soon.

UPDATE:

The IRLP equipment arrived and is being installed.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Good to hear! Thanks, Dave!
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 am

UPDATE:

The IRLP equipment has been setup and everything is working. The last step of getting it permanently installed on the hill will happen in the next week. You can go to the IRLP website and view the details of the Keller Peak IRLP - www.IRLP.net. KRPA is node ID #3216.
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Dave - I think we will need some training on using IRLP. If you hear of any plans, let us know. This might be a good topic for a net once the testing is done.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:19 pm

toms wrote:Dave - I think we will need some training on using IRLP. If you hear of any plans, let us know. This might be a good topic for a net once the testing is done.
From what I gather, the use of IRLP, at least for the Nets, will be something over which we will have little, if any, control. As I understand it, once we have determined which repeater systems will be hooked up for the Nets, the IRLP will automatically be turned on at the time we designate and automatically turned off at the time we designate.

To the extent that individual use is an option, I agree that this would be a good net topic.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:32 pm

DaveK wrote:UPDATE:

The IRLP equipment has been setup and everything is working. The last step of getting it permanently installed on the hill will happen in the next week. You can go to the IRLP website and view the details of the Keller Peak IRLP - http://www.IRLP.net. KRPA is node ID #3216.

Great news...Looking forward to sharing the OAUSA net with a larger audience :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

From what I have read, there are some important aspects to even using it. A lot of which revolves around the time lag and the need to pause. It would be interesting to hear what an experenced net control could tell us.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:50 pm

toms wrote:From what I have read, there are some important aspects to even using it. A lot of which revolves around the time lag and the need to pause. It would be interesting to hear what an experenced net control could tell us.

Yes, it would be interesting to see what they have to say. You can get a pretty good idea of the difference between the two by comparing how Echolink sounds on Keller and what you will hear on the Win System. The difference is day and night, to this untrained ear! On IRLP, the lag is virtually nil and the clarity is exceptional.

You can also check out the Sunset repeater to see how well IRLP works.
DaveK
K6DTK

taugust
Call Sign: KG6WFV

Post by taugust » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:06 pm

While I am no expert, and have only limited experience with IRLP, and I don't know the plans of KPRA, the use of IRLP commonly works this way: You probably have a local repeater with an IRLP node. At any time that the repeater is not in use, you can "turn on" a link to any other IRLP enabled repeater by dialing in a code (the node number of the desired repeater) on your mic keypad. This opens a direct link from your local repeater to the destination repeater. When you key up, you are heard on the local and the destination repeaters. More info is available for reading and to find a local node repeater on IRLP.net. The access codes and the disconnect codes are individually designated by the repeater owner. Reflectors are available to allow a "party line" type of connection. This may be how the nets will be conducted. The automatic connection will connect the KPRA repeater to a reflector and everyone will 'dial in' to the reflector. Just speculation on my part though.
Tim
KG6WFV

"It wasn't me... I didn't do it... Nobody saw me do it... You can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extra Cab

Tuff Country 5" Lift, King Coilovers, BFG MT's on Black Steel, Onboard Air, Dual Batteries, High Output Alternator, Engel Fridge, Yaesu 857D All Band Amatuer Radio, Custom Skid and Sliders

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET GENERAL DISCUSSION”