I turned off the net last night

Let's discuss our amateur radio net here, including suggestions for net topics.
FishPOET
Call Sign: KI6YXR

I turned off the net last night

Post by FishPOET » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 am

*rant on*

There was a lot of static early in the net last night. If you aren't in range, if you don't have your radio set up right, if you can't articulate the English language in a manner that others can understand....why do you feel the need to talk on the net for minutes on end when none of us can understand the point you are trying to get across? Speak for 30 seconds and BREAK. When net control informs you that your transmission is not clear either fix it or become a listener for the rest of the net.

*rant off*
Doug N1DUG
2004 WJ
1996 ZJ locked on 33's, Claytons LAs
1999 Ford F250 V10 4x4 19.5s, 1988 Lance ES3000
Life Member CA4WD, CORVA, BRC
over 2000 hours volunteered with the SBNFA
CASSP
TreadLightly! Trainer
ForestAid Reforestation Supervisor

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: I turned off the net last night

Post by OLLIE » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Doug,

I wasn't able to listen to the net last night but I understand your concerns/frustrations. I don't know who you are referring to having the issue. It does get frustrating when we can't understand what's being said. One thing to keep in mind though is that some of us are relatively new to the amateur radio world, and there are some who have been at it for years that it is just second nature to. Maybe the person having the issues isn't as up to speed on protocols yet as some, or maybe there were other issues at hand. We are sorry you got frustrated to the point where you felt the need to turn off the net. The amateur radio world is supposed to be a place for us all to learn together, and that's what we're trying to promote. We will see what we can do about these occurrences during future nets.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

KX6D
Call Sign: KX6D

Re: I turned off the net last night

Post by KX6D » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 pm

The biggest problem is that most users don't know how to talk into a microphone! This isn't Nextel folks! If the mic isn't touching your lips (or very near to doing so), then you are too far away!

Once you get the mic where its supposed to be, just talk normal! You don't have to yell! Hopefully someone will let you know when you sound horrible, so you can make the proper adjustments.

Try not to ramble...try not keep talking while you figure out what you wanted to say. You are Radio Amateurs with skills! Develope them and USE them! 8-)
Dino - KX6D
562-665-6286
ARRL Life Member
SBNFA-OHV Radio Coordinator
All Around Great Guy!

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET GENERAL DISCUSSION”