Looking for a reasonably priced AED

The Definitive Source for Independent Reviews & Information
on Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment and Techniques
FunJunkie

Looking for a reasonably priced AED

Post by FunJunkie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:12 am

Well seeing as we are usually out away from any quick rescue on trail, I took a basic life support for medical providers class. Now I am certified beyond just CPR and am actually required by law to administer first aid and try to save life, and although it is highly unlikely I would ever need it, I would like to carry an AED with my med kit but the majority of them are over 1200 bucks. If anyone sees one for a reasonable price please PM me.
Thanks folks.

big dave

Re: Looking for a reasonably priced AED

Post by big dave » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:50 am

Gawd, maybe its because its so early, but i read that as IED. I was wondering what the heck you were planning on blowing up. Ok nevermind me, on with your day.
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

Frogeye
Call Sign: KI6LHP

Post by Frogeye » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:23 am

Hey Mike, that's cool news. I'll feel a lot safer with you on any run. Any chance you can find me a pair of the new style NVGs? Those things are insane! :ugeek:
Chris

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:16 am

FunJunkie wrote:Well seeing as we are usually out away from any quick rescue on trail, I took a basic life support for medical providers class. Now I am certified beyond just CPR and am actually required by law to administer first aid and try to save life, and although it is highly unlikely I would ever need it, I would like to carry an AED with my med kit but the majority of them are over 1200 bucks. If anyone sees one for a reasonable price please PM me.
Thanks folks.
That's great Mike. We can start calling you the trail paramedic :D

Phillips makes a really nice unit called the HeartStart. Is that the one you are looking at?

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:08 am

Frogeye KI6LHP wrote:Hey Mike, that's cool news. I'll feel a lot safer with you on any run. Any chance you can find me a pair of the new style NVGs? Those things are insane! :ugeek:
Shoot, I wish. I got a set of Omni II and thats as about as high tech as I can get from the DRMO (scrap n surplus shop) and I got them on total luck, came with a pilot helmet though so thats fun to wear runin around in the dark. :lol:

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:14 am

sdnative wrote:
FunJunkie wrote:Well seeing as we are usually out away from any quick rescue on trail, I took a basic life support for medical providers class. Now I am certified beyond just CPR and am actually required by law to administer first aid and try to save life, and although it is highly unlikely I would ever need it, I would like to carry an AED with my med kit but the majority of them are over 1200 bucks. If anyone sees one for a reasonable price please PM me.
Thanks folks.
That's great Mike. We can start calling you the trail paramedic :D

Phillips makes a really nice unit called the HeartStart. Is that the one you are looking at?
yeah the phillips is nice one. There are literally dozens of companies making different units. I'm looking to find a reliable DC charged compact one and wire it into the truck so it is always charged, I know the draw is low so I don't worry about draining the battery. Main thing is under 500 bucks and small but also I'd like to get one with the child/adult option.

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:18 am

big dave wrote:Gawd, maybe its because its so early, but i read that as IED. I was wondering what the heck you were planning on blowing up. Ok nevermind me, on with your day.
LOLcifer :twisted: :lol:

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 pm

I am certified as a Wilderness First Responder and would like to have one too if it was reasonable price.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:36 am

I've been watching ebay and the cheapest one I saw so far was 750. and it was a six year battery not a constant charge. it seems ok but I really like the phillips and the like. I doubt the price will drop and I'm afraid some of the ones in my price range are stolen. I refuse to buy something like that no matter the price.

Return to “EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE”