OAUSA Net - November 21, 2019 - Camping Repair Kit

A preview of future nets
toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

OAUSA Net - November 21, 2019 - Camping Repair Kit

Post by toms » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 pm

CAMPING REPAIR KIT

For the net this week, we plan to discuss tools, supplies and skills you need to repair your camping gear and clothing.
The ability to repair a tent, sleeping bag , boots, pants, or a camp chair while in camp can make a huge difference on your comfort for the remainder of the trip.

What do you take? -- to handle breaks, tears or holes in your camping gear, clothing or bedding?
Are there any skills you need to practice at home before going?
Where do you store these items?

Post up your camping repair kit list, pictures, and stories of repair you made!
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member

Re: OAUSA Net November 21, 2019 - Camping Repair Kit

Post by toms » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Any Suggestions

You are camping 4 miles from the hole in the rock in the Escalante National Monument. There have been high winds all day and they are forecasted to last another 36 hours.

When you get back to camp, you find that the wind has broken a section of one of your aluminum poles, the zipper on the tent fly will no long keep the teeth together and your air mattress was blown into a sharp object in the tent and has a hole in it.

What items do you have in your camping repair kit, that will allow you to use your tent and get a full night of sleep?

Let me add, You do not have the option of sleeping in your buddy’s tent or car.

Post your suggestions!
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com

TheNothing
Call Sign: W7BSB

Post by TheNothing » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:55 pm

1- Gaffers Tape. IME gaffer's tape has been much more durable than standard duct tape. It doesn't stretch, but it's also about double the price. It will likely prove better at repairing the tent pole (tape it together as you might would a splint for a broken bone using a spare tent stake or small branch). Gaffer's tape will also prove useful with the tent zipper allowing you to remove it without residue. I may or may not help with the air mattress though

2- Marine Goop. Marine goop, with patch material, will fix the air mattress, it'll also fix leaking waders, leaking inflatable kayaks, busted shoes, and more.

I'll see if i can't get photos of some of this stuff before thursday! I'll check in with you then!
~isaac

toms
OAUSA Board Member

Post by toms » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Pictures of some of the stuff I carry
20151111_111206ML.jpg
20151111_111206ML.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 775 times
SAM_0902ML.jpg
SAM_0902ML.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 775 times
SAM_0297ML.jpg
SAM_0297ML.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 775 times
Storage Options
In small bag / box
In Camp box
With the camp item

Repair Supplies
Tape
Rescue Tape
Tenacious tape
Gorilla tape
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Glue
Seal All
Goop
Terma-rest patch kit
Super glue
JB Weld
Para cord, rope / 550 cord
Dental floss
Bailing wire
Bungie cords
Zip Tie
Safety pins
Split ring key rings
Needle & Thread & buttons
Velcro
Alligator clips
Tent pole ferrules
Tarp clamps
Small hose clamps
Inner tube rubber bands
Ratch tie downs
Nuts & bolt, washers
Anderson power pole connectors
Wire nuts

Spare Parts
Clip for Spyderco pocket knife
Extra tent pole
Heat shrink
Buss fuses for radios
Mantels
Stove/ Lantern generators/ cap

Repair Tools
Speedy Stitcher
Leatherman
Leather punch
Needles
Vice Grips
Metric, SAE & Torque Allan wrench set
Crimper for Anderson power poles
Soldering iron uses AA batteries

Tricks
Oil from dip stick for Colman stove leather
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:29 pm

STUFF I HAVE USED

My camping list is a mix of tools, redundancy stuff, vehicle repair items, camp repair items, survival ITEMS, comfort equipment, and more. The list below is part of my camping repair kit, although it is spread throughout the vehicle, which serves as my "kit." Tese items are carried in the vehicle at all times (with a couple of exceptions), which is the reason why I regard my daily driver as my mobile bug out bag.

1. Speedy Stitcher

We've covered this previously, so this discussion will be brief. Anything made from fabric to plastics (and a lot in between) can be repaired with a proper sewing kit, including shoes, belts, tents, backpacks, clothing, sleeping bags, hats, rain suits, seat covers, chairs, cots, tarps, and in an extreme pinch, your hide. The Speedy Stitcher is not just a convenience, it is an absolute essential.

Speedy Stitcher-4.jpg
Speedy Stitcher-4.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 769 times
Speedy Stitcher-2.jpg
Speedy Stitcher-2.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 769 times
Speedy Stitcher-3.jpg
Speedy Stitcher-3.jpg (756.79 KiB) Viewed 769 times

2. Duct Tape

No need to belabor this one, but if you follow the golden rule, you will not be disappointed, That rule is - if duct tape is not working, you are not using enough! The uses for duct tape are endless, but one extreme example ought to suffice. It seems that a hunting party, in the wilds of the Alaskan outback, left their ice chest in the plane while it was parked at the hunting camp. A Bear, having a good smeller, zeroed in on the plane, and as bears are wont to do, this bruin peeled back the skin of the plane and dined on the contents of the ice chest. This is what it looked like after dinner:

Airplane Repair1.jpg
Airplane Repair1.jpg (44.72 KiB) Viewed 769 times

This is what it looked like after the "duct tape" repair:

Airplane Repair2.jpg
Airplane Repair2.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 769 times

They made it back home safe. Nuff said!!!

3. Disc grinder / sawzall / drill and bits / extension cords

Part of the necessary process of being prepared is giving serious consideration to the mishaps and disasters that can happen on the trail. The more trips you take and the more miles that your rig racks up really increase the odds of something bad happening. This particular category of repair tools involves ones that all require electricity, thus making it necessary to have an inverter (and one that can handle the power needs of the tools you plan to use.)

With an eye on always carrying gear that is as small as possible, the tools which I carry are capable of fitting in a relatively small tool bag. In this bag I carry the following:
  • power drill and a large selection of bits
  • power grinder with large selection of grinding wheels
  • Sawzall with a selection of blade types
  • 100 feet of large gauge extension cord
Time permitting, there may be a few recovery tales on the net.

Tool bag-2.jpg
Tool bag-2.jpg (934.99 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Tool bag-3.jpg
Tool bag-3.jpg (876.67 KiB) Viewed 737 times

4. Ham radio repair kit

This category is especially important as your Ham radio is your life line to help in the event of an emergency. For this kit, redundancy is vital. All too often, we have found that trail obstacles, like low hanging trees or brush choked trails, will damage antennas, or in the worst case, destroy them altogether. So, your repair kit must include the following:

a complete antenna assembly, including the base, the whip, and the connector (maybe two if you are prone to trail damage)
sufficient co-ax to replace the damaged portion
various hardware items like NMO connectors, PL259 connectors, washers, nuts, and anything unique to your set-up
an extra whip, as these are the most commonly damaged items (and a spring, if you use one)

Redundancy also demands that you have more than one radio and a HT (or two.)

5. Readers (magnifying glasses)

This is an item for everyone, regardless of whether you need glasses or not. There are a huge number of camp needs where seeing the tiniest details of some repair project are important, like that electrical repair, or finding that little screw that you dropped in the dirt One of the most common uses I have found for a good pair of readers is splinter removal. Sure cuts down on unnecessary gouging and cutting. Keep an extra pair (or three), just in case!

Readers.jpg
Readers.jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 765 times

6. Manuals for tools, computers, and equipment

These days, there is an instruction manual for just about everything we own. Having these manuals on the trail, regardless of the device, is never a bad idea, especially for Ham radios, computers, antennas, vehicle repair, computer programs, and the like. While keeping paper copies of EVERYTHING, may be a wee bit too much, there is a solution which will allow you to have it all. That solution is to put everything on an SD card, a flash drive, or your computer. This is an ideal solution for bulky documents, like vehicle repair manuals.

Living by the rule of redundancy does require you to keep paper copies of at least some of your stuff, so that if the computer breaks down, you are not screwed. This concern is not as important as it might have once been, as most of the campers in our groups are carrying computers these days. If one breaks down, there will always be another who can help. Just one of the many benefits of traveling in groups.

For very little money, you can have a storage device that can easily carry even the largest manuals. Flash drives and SD cards are now past the 250GB range and in the unlikely event that you need more than one, the cost is minimal.

SD Card.jpg
SD Card.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 763 times
256 GB San Disk Flash Drive.jpg
256 GB San Disk Flash Drive.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 763 times
7. Alternate light sources

Aside from the repair needs around camp there are definitely some others that deserve to be mentioned. While we usually reserve night time for good food and drink, around a relaxing campfire, there are times when it is necessary to be in the vehicle, traveling. If you are unfortunate enough to break down on the trail, at night, (or even while at camp) having a good light to perform repairs is invaluable. Flashlights and headlights are good, but there is no substitute for a good 360 degree light bulb. This solution is available only for those who have an inverter in their vehicle. With the great popularity of LED bulbs, it is possible to run a light for a considerable time, with little effect on the battery.

This setup was constructed with 20 feet of 14 ga copper wire with some HD connectors at each end. It includes a 60 watt LED bulb, with a spare, in a rugged case.

AC Repair light.JPG
AC Repair light.JPG (119.28 KiB) Viewed 769 times
8. Solar panel repair kit

The essentials for long terms trips will vary depending on your needs. For many, these needs include equipment that requires electrical power, like refrigerators, Ham Radios, computers, charging stations for HTs, cameras, GPS units, air compressors, etc. Keeping the batteries charged when the vehicle is stationary is a task that we have turned over to solar panels. If something breaks on your solar panel, something else must give way or change. Carrying some repair items can help to avoid this.

Assuming that the solar panel itself is not damaged (broken glass or destroyed cells) then there are only a few parts that should be in your repair kit:
  • 1. Controller
  • 2. Connectors
  • 3. Wiring
  • 4. Fuses
  • 5. Soldering tools (including solder)
MC4_connector.jpg
MC4_connector.jpg (117.51 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Renogy PWM Solar Controller

Renogy Solar Controller PWM.jpg
Renogy Solar Controller PWM.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 766 times
9. Lantern repair kit

My favorite camp light is a Coleman lantern. Their reliability and durability are legendary, but things do break or just wear out. Common repair items that need occasional replacement are:

1. Generator
2. Fuel cap
3. Pump assembly
4. Pump washers
5. Mantles

All of these items are inexpensive and small enough to easily store in the vehicle. The only other repair item that sometimes breaks is the globe. Here, carrying a spare globe is a bit risky, because keeping a spare in a safe place requires a large padded container and a careful eye to make sure that it is kept out of harms way. Usually, a good travel case makes this repair unnecessary.

When they are at their peak, there is a lot of light for the camp!!!

Coleman 200A (Large).jpg
Coleman 200A (Large).jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 765 times

10. Stove repair kit

Most of us use liquid stoves when camping, and If you are planning on cooking your meals, you should be prepared to make repairs on your stove if something breaks. I use a Partner Steel stove for all my cooking needs and it is very well built and very rugged. Regardless, however, the smart chef brings a repair kit, just in case. No matter who makes your stove, a repair kit can be created by you, knowing what parts are likely to break.

Partner Steel makes a repair kit which includes all the parts that make the stove work. Oh yes, don't forget to carry extra fuel lines, a regulator, and connectors.

Cook Partner Repair Kit.jpg
Cook Partner Repair Kit.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 767 times

11.Gas can repair kit

Carrying extra fuel is a must on longer term trips. Making sure that the gas stays in the can is essential. Holes or rips in the can are a repair discussion for another topic, but for this discussion, we know that one of the most common losses of fuel are leaks resulting from a damaged or worn out spout gasket. Spares are cheap and should be in your repair bag. Available from Deutsche Optic, https://deutscheoptik.com/Militaria-Col ... -FIVE.html

Gas Can Gaskets.jpg
Gas Can Gaskets.jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 767 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KK6DYO
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Please check me in tonight.

I’ll second Dave’s recommendation about bringing manuals in electronic format. Virtually all product manufacturers provide product information (user manuals) in PDF format (most common) which matches the printed manuals that come with the product. These can often be found on product web pages or in “downloads” or “support” pages of manufacturers’ web sites.

If not, the product information can be scanned to a PDF format file, multi-page if desired. A picture can also be taken with enough resolution to enable easy reading.

In my opinion, a great way to manage, display, and print such files is by using a document management app, such as GoodReader, which unfortunately is only on Apple’s iOS.

I keep my iPad and iPhone synced, so if one fails—especially on a trip—I will have all information on the other.

In addition to product information, maps, checklists, magazines, reservations, tickets, passes, forms, ... any and all documents ... can be kept in GoodReader.

654C23E3-BF06-48B2-B46E-ED7FB01D2C67.png
654C23E3-BF06-48B2-B46E-ED7FB01D2C67.png (739.46 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Alternatives to GoodReader for Android

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Re: OAUSA Net - November 21, 2019 - Camping Repair Kit

Post by KAP » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Kevin
KK6DGL
734175BD-E974-4A59-B5D6-17F132702E95.jpeg
Tools and supplies to help complete the repair.
734175BD-E974-4A59-B5D6-17F132702E95.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 847 times
Attachments
2A997654-3C2E-43F1-9EF1-1795024D7A3A.jpeg
A small selection of adhesive to assist in your repairs.
2A997654-3C2E-43F1-9EF1-1795024D7A3A.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 847 times

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:11 pm

MORE KIT ITEMS

Tools

There is an old saying which has a lot of truth to it - "you can never have too many tools." For the vehicle dependent camper, this obviously has it's limitations, but be careful about not including everything you can reasonably expect to need.

No such thing as too many tools.jpg
No such thing as too many tools.jpg (68.17 KiB) Viewed 110 times

1. Multi- Tools.

The right tools are essential when it comes to camp repairs, and some of the best are the "multi-tools," like those made by Gerber and Leatherman. The best advise we can offer is to carry one on your belt, especially as you never know when you will need one. Some prefer Leatherman and some prefer Gerber, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is having one. Your camping style will dictate which one is best for your needs and it really is not a bad idea to have more than one. In fact, the multi-tool will probably be the most often used "repair" tool you will use.

Here is a little info from the Gerber website (https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/m ... asic-07550):
As the #1 selling multi-tool platform to the US military, the MP600 series has been to hell and back. Serving those who serve, this tool is built to be tough and accessible. A one-hand opening design is crucial, as is the durable stainless body, the variety of 14 tools, and multiple versions that are specialized for any situation.
Gerber Multi-tool.jpg
Gerber Multi-tool.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 109 times

2. Zip Ties,

There are some things that have risen to the top of the list of repair items, and it is the wise traveler that NEVER forgets to carry things like duct tape. Another item is zip ties. They are inexpensive, available just about everywhere, and suitable for a huge variety of jobs.

Zip Ties.jpg
Zip Ties.jpg (208.31 KiB) Viewed 109 times

3. Knives.

Really no point in listing the never ending repair used for knives. The only point here is reinforcing the need to carry more than one, and no need to break the bank.

Mora Knife.jpg
Mora Knife.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 108 times

4. Rescue Tape (https://www.rescuetape.com/)

Another product that needs little introduction. Somewhat like duct tape. The manufacturer says this:
Silicone Rescue Tape is an award-winning silicone repair tape for emergencies and all-purpose repairs. Rescue Tape creates an air-tight, waterproof seal in seconds.

You can instantly repair leaks on plumbing and hoses, make underwater repairs, use it on electrical wiring or as shrink-wrap, seal and protect hydraulic fittings or other exposed metal connections, make an emergency fan belt, o-ring gasket and so much more!
The Ultimate Multi-Purpose Silicone Repair Tape! Rescue Tape Seals Leaks Fast!
A road-side radiator hose repair with Silicone Rescue Tape
Rescue Tape is the Most Versatile & Strongest Emergency Repair Tape on the market.

Rescue Tape has 950 PSI Tensile Strength, Insulates 8,000 Volts per layer, and Withstands Temperatures up to 500° Fahrenheit (and as low as -85° F)

Silicone Tape was first used by the US Military. After significant improvements it is now sold Worldwide under the Rescue Tape brand. In fact, Rescue Tape is the only brand of Silicone Tape actively used by the US Military in Recovery and Battle Damage Assessment & Repair Kit (BDAR KIT) – we meet and significantly exceed military spec for silicone tape! ]

Millions of rolls of Rescue Tape have now been used for emergency and roadside repairs, household and plumbing repairs, electrical insulation, boating applications, home & garden, and so
Rescue Tape.jpg
Rescue Tape.jpg (39.34 KiB) Viewed 108 times

5. Boot Repair

Without spares boots, a failure of your favorite (and only) pair usually means a quick end to most hiking. But, it doesn't have to be that way, IF you do a little advance planning. While the best idea is to carry a spare pair, you can still save the trip, even if you have only one pair, by using some simple repair items. The easiest and most inexpensive item are shoe laces - carry a spare or two. The second item is an adhesive that will keep the soles attached to the boots, where they belong. And, don't think for a moment that this will not happen, and at the very worst time.

As a last (and somewhat temporary) solution for separating soles, you can always resort to the travelers best friend - duct tape!!!

This was was the result of a hike to the bottom of a canyon.

Departing Soles.jpg
Departing Soles.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 95 times

There are a number of "shoe repair" products on the market, but the best ones are those that work quickly, create a strong bond, adhere to the materials our boots are made from, and perhaps most importantly, that are durable and that last. My suggestion - Boot Fix Glue. It is inexpensive (about $10.00 from the website mentioned here), bonds almost instantly, extremely strong, and durable. See https://www.shoerepairglue.com/.

Boot Fix Glue.jpg
Boot Fix Glue.jpg (170.02 KiB) Viewed 95 times

OR bring out the roll of duct tape and make a fashion statement.

Duct Tape Boot Repair-3.jpg
Duct Tape Boot Repair-3.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 95 times

6. Wire, Solder, and Soldering Tools

It seems that as we continually equip and upgrade our vehicles, there is an ever increasing quantity of electrical connections, wires and related stuff. Even the ordinary wiring on vehicles can often require repairs. On a recent trip, one of our members suffered some significant trailer wiring harness damage. Watching him make the necessary repairs reminded us of the importance of having the right tools and materials necessary to make these repairs.

And, for those who rely on their Ham Radios for all forms of communication, having the means to make repairs to electrical connections, can be vital.

The choices for small or compact soldering irons are numerous, and a little research on your part will help you find the right one for your applications. For those with an inverter, the choices are many. Otherwise, a gas operated iron will be your best bet.

Gas Iron

Gas Soldering Iron.jpg
Gas Soldering Iron.jpg (771.12 KiB) Viewed 94 times

110 V Soldering Iron

Small Soldering Iron.jpg
Small Soldering Iron.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 94 times

Oh yes, don't forget the electrical tape.

Electrical Tape.jpg
Electrical Tape.jpg (118.61 KiB) Viewed 93 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Awning Repair- bent or broken arms
56752326-D6D3-4EE4-8FBD-0E8D25532D36.jpeg
Awning mechanisms are subject to binding and damage from normal wear.
56752326-D6D3-4EE4-8FBD-0E8D25532D36.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 105 times
BDA83D59-1A81-4DB1-8B1E-05F00645B2DA.jpeg
Bent arm. Thin steel bends easy.
BDA83D59-1A81-4DB1-8B1E-05F00645B2DA.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 105 times
I made this repair after the awning suffered damaged during high winds. This is a very common problem due to the high torque encountered on thin steel arms regardless of the size or quality of the awning. The fix is quite easy and produces a joint far stronger than the original.
9F4601AA-6F64-476E-B140-1F1A10E21302.jpeg
Damage
9F4601AA-6F64-476E-B140-1F1A10E21302.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 105 times
6F17263E-8D14-48AA-946B-DF3F3DDE523A.jpeg
Materials needed. Two part epoxy putty, latex gloves, drywall screws, pliers.
6F17263E-8D14-48AA-946B-DF3F3DDE523A.jpeg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 105 times
7BCEF4A8-6666-4375-8AE0-B50D47ED3702.jpeg
Use pliers or other tools to reform tube. Clean as needed.
7BCEF4A8-6666-4375-8AE0-B50D47ED3702.jpeg (726.02 KiB) Viewed 105 times
EC31BBF7-8856-4FD0-9EA4-5470FB22C15F.jpeg
Tear off some putty and thoroughly need using gloves. Stuff the putty in the end beyond the damaged area.
EC31BBF7-8856-4FD0-9EA4-5470FB22C15F.jpeg (736.99 KiB) Viewed 105 times
4A15D090-E82B-40A7-AE67-006AE7C522A6.jpeg
Use a large screw or rod to open the fastener hole that was filled by the putty. It is easier to do this now than waiting to drill it out after the epoxy hardens.
4A15D090-E82B-40A7-AE67-006AE7C522A6.jpeg (590.48 KiB) Viewed 105 times
B58E32AF-929D-4107-8926-2DF1BAE2D5DF.jpeg
If practical, drive screws or reinforcing rods into joint if the parent metal is badly damaged or completely broken in two.
B58E32AF-929D-4107-8926-2DF1BAE2D5DF.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 105 times
This repair was made at home but could have easily been made in the field without power tools with a little planning. All tools and materials needed should be in your field kit.

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Please check me in early.

WD6USA
Jeff
Highland, CA
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”