OAUSA Net - October 10, 2013 - Comfort Camping

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA Net - October 10, 2013 - Comfort Camping

Post by DaveK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:22 pm

This week we will be discussing gear that makes for a comfortable camp. This doesn't mean pulling a 35 foot trailer or an RV, but stuff you can easily carry into a wilderness camp over a road that often needs 4WD to navigate. Camping in remote locations(or even not-so-remote locations) doesn't mean that you have to "rough it". With some clever planning, the right equipment and a need to get away, your camp can be very comfortable and pleasant. And, there's no better way to introduce new campers to the outdoors.

Join us with your suggestions for comfort camping.

Here are a few of ours:

Springbar Tents (http://www.kirkhams.com/deluxe-tents/ca ... gbar-tent/)
Instant Camp Kitchens and Tables
Wishy Washy (http://partnersteel.com/prod03.htm)
Wine Glass Carrier (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... UTF8&psc=1)
PETT Toilet () (http://www.basspro.com/The-PETT-%28Port ... uct/45413/)
Zodi Hot Shower (http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihottap ... hower.html)
Attachments
Zodi shower.jpg
Zodi shower.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Springbar Tent.jpg
Springbar Tent.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Camp Kitchen #4.JPG
Camp Kitchen #4.JPG (554.54 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Wishy Washy.JPG
Wishy Washy.JPG (10 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Wine Glass Carrier.jpg
Wine Glass Carrier.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
PETT Toilet.jpg
PETT Toilet.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: OAUSA Net - October 10, 2013 - Comfort Camping

Post by toms » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Heater2.jpg
Heater2.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Heater1.jpg
Heater1.jpg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Table4Ft.jpg
Table4Ft.jpg (3.34 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Towel roller.jpg
Towel roller.jpg (126.22 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Thermarest.jpg
Thermarest.jpg (3.34 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

dlichterman
Call Sign: KD6DL

Post by dlichterman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:52 pm

I can vouch for the toilet - it's well built and sturdy enough to hold my fat ass. Makes camping where there are not bathrooms much more enjoyable.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Attachments
5 lb. blanket.jpg
5 lb. blanket.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Coleman Oven.jpg
Coleman Oven.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Port-a-Privy.png
Port-a-Privy.png (133.98 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I have a bad back and I've tried all kinds of sleeping pads and cots over the years. Here are a few that I've found work well for me (your mileage my vary). Unfortunately none of them are inexpensive but they pay for themselves if you can avoid just a few nights in a motel and in general you get what you pay for -

Luxury Lite a.k.a. High Tech Cot

http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html

This is a great cot if your tight on space or concerned about weight. I use it for motorcycle camping. It's quite firm but resiliant enough to avoid pressure points. You're up off the ground far enough that you can slip shoes and other items under the cot for storage. The draw back are that it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to assemble and about 10 minutes to disassemble and pack. The comfort it provides, small storage space, and lightness offsets the time it takes to assemble. This cot is made in the U.S.A.

OZ Tent King Goanna Streacher

http://www.oztent.com/oztent-furniture/ ... ldu50kzmXk

These cots are extra long, extra wide, and contain their own padding which also provides a level of insulation underneath. The drawback is that they are heavy and bulky to pack. OZ Tent is an Australian company and most of their products are made in China.

Froli Sleep System

http://www.frolisleepsystems.com/

I haven't actually spent a night on this yet but everyone I've talked with who has one really likes it. I got one for the Pinzgauer since my current mattress system, while comfortable at first, always causes me to have a very stiff back in the morning. I think some of this is due to having the mattress directly on the hard metal surface of the truck bed which produces pressure points and conducts heat away from your body. This system is designed for boats and can be configured to fit oddly shaped sleeping spaces. It works well for RVs, roof top tents, or other applications where you have a permanently mounted mattress. It keeps you up off of whatever surface it sets on. This allows air circulation underneath which can be important for boats and other applications that are damp.

I finally tried the Froli mattress in the Pinzgauer with a 4" pad of memory foam over the Froii. It is very comfortable without any pressure points. With just some old towels between the Froli and the foam I could feel the individual springs but it was not annoying or bothersome. It definitely fixed the pressure point and heat conduction problem. I had a Swiss Army surplus wool blanket on top of the foam for added insulation. I can certainly recommend the Froli mattress for permanent mattress applications.

Pluses are that its very light, can fit odd size spaces, and the firmness is adjustable by changing the spacing between the plastic springs, using different plastic springs and applying tension clips. The drawback is that its only useful in permanent installations. The Froli sleep system is made in Germany.
Last edited by NotAMog on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Here is information for those curious about the ARB Roof Top Tent I discussed:

ARB Simpson III Roof Top Tent
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Comfort camping usually requires night lights for guests or those not fond of wilderness darkness. The Harbor Freight 36 Solar Security Light with motion detector (69644) is the answer. It runs all night with a day long charge and comes on automatically at dusk and shuts off at dawn. It has a low setting at rest (they claim 6 lumens) but when it detects motion it jumps up to almost double that brightness. I have put a few around the house but the first use was during a week long camping trip this year. I hung the led light head unit in a tree using a very small bungee and with the 10-15 foot of cord put the solar panel in a location were all day sun was possible. This was a hang it and forget it light. It was great as a security light for the entire trip. Time will tell how well the unit does over the long hall. HF sends out coupons for $17.99 but normal sale price is $19.99. I think the regular price is $22.99.
Attachments
36 LED Solar Light SM 03.JPG
We use this instead of the front porch light now.
36 LED Solar Light SM 03.JPG (263.36 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
36 LED Solar Light SM 02.JPG
Sales packaging.
36 LED Solar Light SM 02.JPG (286.51 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
36 LED Solar Light SM 01.JPG
Two pieces. Light can be used unmounted as handheld as soon as you pull the charge cord out (on/off toggle switch).
36 LED Solar Light SM 01.JPG (111.14 KiB) Viewed 3607 times
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Cold weather gear for a good price, although not necessarily Gucci. In the Army we called the old field jacket liner a "smoking jacket" and it was great as another layer of insulation. In addition to the "smoking jacket" the field pant liners were good but the newer model with button down sides is even better convenience wise. You can pull your pants down and put the pants on without taking off your boots. Or you can simply put them over your normal pants and use them for those moments you are stationary and need a little warmth before you move again. They have "loft" so they are good insulation and they are light. They don't fair well around sparks or flame but they are really a nice comfort item that can be found at just about any military surplus outlet.

The USGI poncho liner is also a very good blanket to have along. All these items continue to give some form of insulation even when wet. Of course they lose a lot of their qualities when wet but they still hold some properties and they do dry very quickly compared to other gear.
Attachments
USGI Field Pants.jpg
Both the field jacket and pant liner are great for layering (top and bottom)
USGI Field Pants.jpg (154.65 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”