OAUSA Net - 11/6 - KIDS

A preview of future nets
traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

OAUSA Net - 11/6 - KIDS

Post by traveltoad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:37 am

My son Evan came home from the hospital in our Land Rover. His first trip was just a few weeks later. In the following 10 years he has been all over the Southwest in the Land Rover... CA, NV, AZ, NM, UT, CO. Introducing kids to the joys of camping, passing our parents tips on to the next generation and enjoying time away from home as a family... just a few of the rewards.

So let's talk KIDS. Entertainment tips. Safety tips. Around camp tips. Culinary tips.

Anyone with kids, anyone who once was a kid or if your kids are awake have them give us some feedback. Everyone has valuable insights to add to the discussion.

2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R - gone, not forgotten
2010 KTM 250XCW
2018 Surly Karate Monkey
2016 Foundry Overland

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: OAUSA Net - 11/6 - KIDS

Post by toms » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Product Spot Light Hi-lift Jack Patriot
HiliftPatriot2.jpg
HiliftPatriot2.jpg (4.54 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Hi-Lift® ( http://www.hi-lift.com/) is helping give veterans a lift! Teaming up with Hope for the Warriors®, Hi-Lift Jack Company is donating a portion of its proceeds for every Hi-Lift Patriot Jack sold. As an American company, Hi-Lift Jack Company wants to provide the support for those members who have served and made tremendous sacrifices for the freedoms we enjoy on a daily basis.
The mission of Hope for the Warriors® is to enhance the quality of life for post-9/11 service members, their families, and families of the fallen who have sustained physical and psychological wounds in the line of duty. Hope For The Warriors® is dedicated to restoring a sense of self, restoring the family unit, and restoring hope for our service members and our military families.
http://www.hopeforthewarriors.org/

Source for a Hi-lift Patriot
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200 ... fgodMWQA3Q
$99.99 (includes the red handle keeper)
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:39 pm

PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT #2

Most of us have a favorite cause that we want to support. Support usually means $$$$$ and when things are tight, it is difficult. Amazon has come up with a way to solve this problem. Recently, they started a new program called Amazon Smile, which donates a portion of every sale to the cause of your choice. You have all the same products and prices as regular Amazon.

I was recently put on notice of Amazon Smile through the California Rifle and Pistol Association. I checked the Amazon Smile website and discovered there are many other organizations which you can select as your cause, including the following:

1. The NRA Foundation, Inc.

The NRA Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety........

2. Second Amendment Foundation

Education In Support Of Gun Rights

3. Crpa Foundation (California Rifle and Pistol Association)

The purpose of the foundation shall be to promote, advance and encourage firearms and hunting safety, to educate individuals with respect to firearms, firearms history, hunting safety and marksmanship and to assist in the legal defense of 2nd amendment issues.

American Radio Relay League Inc (ARRL)

The Promotion Of interest In Amateur Radio communication and experimentation, The establishment of Amateur Radio networks to provide electronic communications in the event of disasters or other emergencies, .....…
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

lrsrngr
Call Sign: KK6CTT

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Account of a Bad Experience:

About 15 years ago we went up to the San Gabriel Mountains and pulled into what seemed to be a "campground" with our then toddler daughter. It was late, we got a slow start that turned into a an "in the dark campground" search. While I was scanning the darkness under a nice stand of trees I thought would be a good campsite (no flashlight out yet), I thought, "Okay, we're here..." As my eyes adjusted to the darkness I noticed a few things that just didn't look right; several light colored dots that littered the area. To my horrible disappointment and disgust with the human race I looked closer and realized the light spots were "surface laid mines" with exposed toilet paper placed on/near the piles; unacceptable for a toddler to be camping around...they spend more time on their hands and knees than a drunk Sailor and they put everything in their mouth...grossed out, we headed for the barn and no camping that weekend.

Moral of the story: Do a thorough pre-camp reconnaissance. Check the area well and realize that the little ones spend a lot of time roaming around. Keep it safe by checking and rechecking your area for hazards. Take someone along that is close in age to your child and introduce them to the joys of the outdoors so they can carry on the family camping tradition.

Game: "Pass the Lantern/Flashlight" The host or leader of the group huddled around the fire pit starts off a "yarn" with a statement like, "One cold dark evening while walking through the woods..."
and then passes the lantern/flashlight to the next individual who adds their piece to the story and passes the light. If it is a good group the "lantern master" will retell the story once it has gone through everyone and "sum it up." The next lantern master will be expected to do the same and so on. It is only as fun and interesting as the group makes it.

See you on the trail.
Attachments
aDSCN8908.JPG
Hurkey Creek Group Camp (2014)
aDSCN8908.JPG (52.02 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”