OAUSA Net - 1/29/15 & 2/5/15 - Cold Weather Camping

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: OAUSA Net - January 29, 2015 - Cold Weather Camping

Post by DaveK » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:02 pm

NotAMog wrote:Does anyone have experience with Propex heaters? I'm thinking of getting an HS2211 to mount in the back of the Pinzgauer. I like the fact that its forced air with separate combustion air intake and exhaust ports making it much safer than catalytic heaters. With some ducting to cab it should provide some much needed heat as well while driving. The exhaust heat exchanger, like on old VW, only provides enough heat to keep the edge off a little and is totally worthless when going down hill.

http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/heate ... air-heater

Bruce

No experience with this unit, but it is fascinating. I really like how compact it is and that it can be thermostatically controlled. If you do an installation, please do a write-up.

I've used a similar device for a large fully enclosed pop-up, for dining purposes at night when the outside temps were very low. The unit is made by Zodi and although it is marketed as a "tent heater", we found that it made the enclosed pop-up comfortable for evening dining. (See: http://www.zodi.com/tent-heaters/hot-vent-tent-heater )

This is a heater that is not particularly suitable for camping when you are changing camp sites frequently. But, when you have a base camp and it gets really cold in the evening hours (usually reserved for dinner), the heater can make for a very comfortable evening meal. This is the unit:

From the Zodi Website:
Attachments
hot-vent-tent-heater.jpg
hot-vent-tent-heater.jpg (41.38 KiB) Viewed 608 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin

Re: OAUSA Net - 1/29/15 & 2/5/15 - Cold Weather Camping

Post by DaveK » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Having a campfire when its cold can be a terrific part of any camping trip. While it is not strictly quantifiable, there is a sense of security and comfort about having a campfire.

Your preparations for cold weather camping must involve having several means to start a campfire (some of which you should carry with you at all times). Holland Guns offers an improved fire starter, known as the "Lightening Strike Fire Starter", that deserves consideration (http://www.hollandguns.com). They also have a You Tube video that shows how it works and is worth the few minutes it will take to view it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eQmknbvAAA

Also available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lightening-Strike ... B00QGKYKJA .

From the Holland Guns Website:
Attachments
Lightening Strike.jpg
Lightening Strike.jpg (34.44 KiB) Viewed 607 times
DaveK
K6DTK

KK6DYO
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Please check me in for tonight 2/5. Thank you.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Please check-in Bruce KD6GCO and John KN6VL.

Thanks,

Bruce
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Rhodes
Call Sign: KA0ABV

Post by Rhodes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Here's another snow cave pic form a different occasion. This was in emergency shelter where we dug a hole in the snow to the ground, then built a roof using skis as rafters, then an emergency tarp and pine tree branches to close it in. Pine tree branches also made the floor to insulate us from the cold ground. Took less than an hour to build and worked pretty well. The door is downwind to keep the cold out. It wasn't an idea situation, but we lived though the night and continued the trip the next morning.
Attachments
D4 storm Res Mtn-ss.JPG
D4 storm Res Mtn-ss.JPG (82.05 KiB) Viewed 597 times
D1 snow cave-22.JPG
D1 snow cave-22.JPG (103.1 KiB) Viewed 597 times

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:53 am

I would like a very late check-in, please...I seemed to have been dropped from the regular check-in list, and was out of range by the time missed check-ins were called...also the 440 Santiago link has not worked for several weeks - has it been removed from our linked repeater group?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:49 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:I would like a very late check-in, please...I seemed to have been dropped from the regular check-in list, and was out of range by the time missed check-ins were called...also the 440 Santiago link has not worked for several weeks - has it been removed from our linked repeater group?

Hey Larry.

We have you checked-in. You are definitely on the current check-in list. I think you were probably out of range.

The IRLP node for the Santiago Repeater is currently down. It may be back in action soon. I'll announce it here on the forum.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”