OAUSA Net - 3/26/15 - Extra Gas Alternatives (on the trail)

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA Net - 3/26/15 - Extra Gas Alternatives (on the trail)

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Sooner or later, your 4WD trips will require more fuel than your tank carries. This is when it becomes necessary to explore the different ways to safely carry more.

If you are planning long term trips into remote wilderness areas, the need for extra fuel becomes even more important. Even weekend trips often require extra fuel. This net will cover the many options that are available to carry extra fuel, safely.

Tom and I will be posting information and pictures all the way up to the start of the net, so check back for all of the topics that we will discuss.

1. Classic Jerry can with DOT certification, made by Wedco
Wedco gas can.jpg
Wedco gas can.jpg (98.37 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
2. Dual can holder for Wedco-style Jerry cans
Nato Can Carrier (Large).JPG
Nato Can Carrier (Large).JPG (123.66 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
3. Wedco Jerry Can with Wedco pour spout
wedco-red-spout-all (Medium).jpg
wedco-red-spout-all (Medium).jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
4. Roof rack Jerry can holder
IMG_0618 (Large).JPG
IMG_0618 (Large).JPG (146.92 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
5. Lockable Jerry can holder
IMG_0620 (Large).JPG
IMG_0620 (Large).JPG (99.22 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
6. Jiggler gas siphon
Jiggler.jpg
Jiggler.jpg (144.53 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

odomandr
Call Sign: K0WDE

Re: OAUSA Net - 3/26/15 - Extra Gas Alternatives (on the tra

Post by odomandr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Can I get on the roll call for net check in? I have not heard it yet the past two weeks and I feel like after the roll call a lot of pile up occurs from others trying...

I use a 4 gallon rotopax for extra fuel but I need a solution for mounting it on my swingout next to the tire. I had hoped the little plates that come with the mount packs would be thicker but when I received them I realized they were insufficient for my use. Gotta go to the fab shop Friday and see what they say, I also use 2 2 gallon rotopax water cans. I like the elongated flat shape better than standard cans I've used in the past... looking forward to the other options and the discussion however
K0WDE

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:23 pm

odomandr wrote:Can I get on the roll call for net check in? I have not heard it yet the past two weeks and I feel like after the roll call a lot of pile up occurs from others trying...

I use a 4 gallon rotopax for extra fuel but I need a solution for mounting it on my swingout next to the tire. I had hoped the little plates that come with the mount packs would be thicker but when I received them I realized they were insufficient for my use. Gotta go to the fab shop Friday and see what they say, I also use 2 2 gallon rotopax water cans. I like the elongated flat shape better than standard cans I've used in the past... looking forward to the other options and the discussion however
K0WDE

We've got you checked-in.
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 am

CONTAINERS
I use the Wedco cans but here are a few other alternatives for containers I have seen on the trail.
Most of these I do not own. I hope others on the net tonight can fill us in on their merits.

AEV fuel caddy holds 10 gallons
aev-fuel-caddy-on-the-back-of-a-jeep.jpg
AEV Fuel Caddy
aev-fuel-caddy-on-the-back-of-a-jeep.jpg (977.01 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
Roto Pac
They have 2 , 3 and 4 gallon containers that can be stacked and configured many ways.
Rotopac.jpg
Roto Pac
Rotopac.jpg (104.71 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
2GalPacks.jpg
2 of the two gal cans connected
2GalPacks.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
I added a picture of the Scepter military gas cans assuming it comes up in any discussion on containers. Here is the situation:
In the USA, the MFC, its accessories and parts are delivered and sold only for military, FEMA, or associated entities under an EPA exemption.

This does not apply to the water cans made by Scepter or by LC Industries which we can buy.
Septer fuel_containers.jpg
Scepter
Septer fuel_containers.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
Another option is to add an Auxiliary fuel tank. There are quite a few manufactures that can provide the tank for just about any vehicle on the road - Man-A-fre, Genright, Front Runner are just a few.
Genright off road JK Dual Tank.jpg
Genright aux tank for a JK
Genright off road JK Dual Tank.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
front-runner-62l-additional-fuel-tank-toyota-land-cruiser-100-FTTL001-1.jpg
Front runner - for 100 seies Land Cruiser
front-runner-62l-additional-fuel-tank-toyota-land-cruiser-100-FTTL001-1.jpg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member

Post by toms » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:55 am

TRANSPORT

Here are a few of the more common ways people transport cans. The next pictures are for after market bumper rack.
There are lots of bumper rack options for the more popular vehicle models.
Side of tire mount.jpg
2 cans beside the tire
Side of tire mount.jpg (409.01 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Behind tire-2.jpg
flat behind the tire
Behind tire-2.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Roto Pacs offer many options for carry in part of their size and in part all the accessories to stack them.
Roto Pac on Olympic 4x4 rack.jpg
Roto Pac
Roto Pac on Olympic 4x4 rack.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
This is one of several companies that make a box to put the can in and secure it. It can be bolted to any flat surface.
Adventure Trailer.jpg
Adventure Trailer makes this box
Adventure Trailer.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
Another version
Front Runner 2for 119.jpg
Front Runner
Front Runner 2for 119.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
From Front Runner - pads that attach to the sides of the can to stop rattle
Front Runner pads 11.jpg
Front Runner pads 11.jpg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Looks like a great topic and one that I have not yet come to solve outside of carrying the normal fuel can and planning top-offs before needed.

Please give me a check-in; KK6CTT, Rick; I will be monitoring.

Thanks
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:59 pm

For many reasons, the German designed fuel can, known as the Jerry can, has become the most popular and most copied fuel container ever made. And for good reasons!!! For all of these reasons, it has become my favorite and most reliable way to carry extra fuel. The history of the Jerry can is a fascinating one and easily found by a quick search on the internet. In particular, an excellent history can be found at Carryology (http://www.carryology.com/utility/carry ... -jerrycan/ ). Briefly, it began in the 1930' as the German Nation was preparing for it's many aggressions which would follow. From the Carryology website:
The Jerry can was developed in Germany in the 1930’s for military use. Wars are won and lost with resources. One of the most important resources being fuel. That fuel must be efficiently stored and transported to aide the soldiers and war machines on the front lines. No fuel and the tanks don’t roll. No tanks and the war is lost.
This picture offers some idea of the importance of the Jerry can in the war effort, (From the Carryology website):
German Jerry Can use.jpg
German Jerry Can use.jpg (242.6 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
The superiority of the Jerry can, as a fuel container, was recognized by the allies, who eventually adopted the design. It was easy to see why the design was adopted, especially when you consider the inferior containers that were in use at that time. The Brits fuel container was called a "flimsy", and for good and obvious reasons. They looked like this:
Flimsies.jpg
Flimsies.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
The advantages of the German designed Jerry can are numerous:

1. They held about 25% more fuel than the Flimsies
2. They were significantly more sturdy and robust than the Flimsies or any other fuel container of the time
3. No tool or other device was necessary to access the contents
4. The cam-lever lid mechanism was integrated into the can so it couldn’t be misplaced and was extremely efficient in preventing leaks.
5. Expansion of the can, in warm temps, is minimal due to steel construction
6. The design of the can allows for vapor and liquid expansion during warm temps.

Here is a excellent description of the benefits of the 3 handle design of the German Jerry Can (from the Carryology website) :
First, it had three comfortable rounded stamped handles. This allowed the cans to be passed down the line from one soldier to the next to the next in bucket-brigade fashion, as one soldier would use the far-sided handle to hand over the exposed free handle on the other far side, rapidly and easily exchanging hands down the line.

One soldier could use the single center handle to comfortably carry a single can with each hand, while maintaining their balance walking over the battlefield’s rough terrain.

If the soldier was strong, they could grab the two edge handles of two cans that were next to each other with one hand. Thus, allowing them to carry four filled Jerrycans at once. If they weren’t so buff, they could still carry four empty cans without any problem. Full or empty, it would have been impossible for one soldier to carry four flimsies – the Jerrycan allowed for both.
The most fascinating thing about the German design, is that these advantages still make this fuel carrier, the very best design, even today. There are many copies of this can, including ones adopted by the military, but they are all using the the German Jerry can design.
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member

Post by toms » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Liquid Transfer

2 brands - about the same
SafetySiphon.jpg
Safety Siphon
SafetySiphon.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Super Siphon.jpg
Super Siphon
Super Siphon.jpg (14.24 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member

Post by toms » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Rick - we got you checked in
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com

odomandr
Call Sign: K0WDE

Post by odomandr » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 pm

http://www.jagmte.com/index.php?route=p ... ry&path=61

This guy has good solutions for some scepter products and dispensing from the containers.

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”