OAUSA Net – 10/26/17 & 11/2/17 – Destination Camping in the Mojave Desert

A preview of future nets
NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: OAUSA Net – 10/26/17 & 11/2/17 – Destination Camping in the Mojave Desert

Post by NotAMog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Please check-in John, KN6VL, and Bruce, KD6GCO.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

k9atk
Call Sign: K9ATK

Post by k9atk » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:56 pm

PLEASE check in
K9atk brian
K9fog trish
Kd0exi cheyenne
Kd0gpe austin
Thank you

JackM-KK6WXQ
Call Sign: KK6WXQ

Post by JackM-KK6WXQ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Looks like a great net!
Please check me in!
Thank you.
Jack M - KK6WXQ

HsuuJrt
Call Sign: Kg5pmn

Post by HsuuJrt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Please give me an early check-in.
James kg5pmn.

KI7NAI
Call Sign: KI7NAI

Post by KI7NAI » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Please give me an early check in

Thanks
KI7NAI

Diesel4x
Call Sign: KF6KOC

Post by Diesel4x » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:30 pm

early check-in please, thank you KF6KOC

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:09 pm

As strange as it is to see members of the OAUSA team snow boarding down the Kelso Dunes, it was equally interesting to see this mini photo shoot that wasn't a photo shoot once I pulled out my camera. Just to prove a point. There are many things going on in the Mojave and making sure you plan, prepare and execute with a plan that provides recovery options when things go bad and action plans that provide resiliency when you run into those trip traits that find you in those moments labeled SNAFU!
161111, Amboy 03 640 HDR.jpg
It was surreal to roll up on this group posing and changing from one costume to the next in front of Roy's.
161111, Amboy 03 640 HDR.jpg (246.13 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Studying TOPOs, both old and new can be part of your reconnaissance spin-up before a trip along with putting the TOPO findings to the test with Google Earth satellite imagery. What you don't see on the map you can follow-up with in satellite imagery. If you use other source documents like the Mojave Trail Guide...book by Dennis Cassebier you stand to put together an epic trip that will leave you with a bucket list check mark you never even knew you needed to conquer.
TOPO, Piute Ridge.jpg
Old Topo example
TOPO, Piute Ridge.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 171 times
Googel Earth, Fort Piute.jpg
An example of the imagery for the same TOPO area.
Googel Earth, Fort Piute.jpg (733.61 KiB) Viewed 171 times
NatGeo, Mojave Homer Mountain Quad.jpg
National Geographic PDF Quads...free: http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads
NatGeo, Mojave Homer Mountain Quad.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 171 times
National Geographic PDF Quads (free): http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

k9atk
Call Sign: K9ATK

Post by k9atk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 am

Tom or dave
My daughter cheyenne kd0exi and I were talking last night during the net and we are kicking around the idea of a camp trip in and around the Mojave. now being on motorcycles we would be limited on water we could carry is there any springs or ground water in the area.
I can carry on my bmw r1200gsawc about 5 gals if need. Cheyenne about 2 gal on her bmw 800gsa.
We have both rode across Africa and chile so desert travel now a new thing to us. Just never explored the idea of a trek thru the Mojave
Any input would be helpful as we like to get info from others whom had travelled and might have knowlage of rescorces
Thanks Brian k9atk

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:04 am

Brian,
The Mojave Road started at the Colorado River and traveled from spring to spring. There are 4 major springs that almost always have water, if you can filter and purify. They are only about 20 to 30 miles apart. East to west they are Piute springs (you need to work down into the weeds along the outflow to find the water); Marl Springs ( the water is in cave and had a pipe at one time. Might need a bucket on a rope to get to it.); Rock Springs (This one may could have a pool in front or nothing - not far west is Government well with a wind mill over the well. I have never tried to get water out of it.) Soda Springs (no access now). There is a well at Indian Hill with a 20 foot vertical shaft. When there is water in it is generally contaminated with dead animals. Once you get into the Mojave River Flood plan you might find running water on the route. Where the rail road crosses the Mojave River there is generally water but by that time you are almost at an I-15 exit.

So there are places with water but the you might be better off planning a route that takes you back and forth to one of the small towns or remote gas stations that border the area. The area is bordered by I-15 on the north and I-40 on the south and there are a multitude of road that can take you out to a junction. But not all have services!
The distance from the Colorado River to Afton Canyon Exit on I-15 is about 145 miles. So baring any issues, you can be out of the desert very quickly.

Those are the water sources that come to mind. Dave may know of a few others.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:23 pm

k9atk wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 am
Tom or dave
My daughter cheyenne kd0exi and I were talking last night during the net and we are kicking around the idea of a camp trip in and around the Mojave. now being on motorcycles we would be limited on water we could carry is there any springs or ground water in the area.
I can carry on my bmw r1200gsawc about 5 gals if need. Cheyenne about 2 gal on her bmw 800gsa.
We have both rode across Africa and chile so desert travel now a new thing to us. Just never explored the idea of a trek thru the Mojave
Any input would be helpful as we like to get info from others whom had traveled and might have knowledge of rescorces
Thanks Brian k9atk
Brian

In the Eastern Mohave there are multiple springs, but in all cases, they are used by wildlife and it would be very unwise to use the water without proper filtering and treatment for bacteria and viruses. There are several such filters on the market that are appropriate for motorcycle carry and I would strongly advise you to consider one if you plan on using this water source.

One note of caution - when the park service took over the administration of the Mohave Preserve, the intellectuals in charge decided to close many of the springs, thereby ending many decades of reliable water sources, available for wildlife. While they have attempted to reverse their poorly thought-out plans, things may not be as reliable as they once were. Bottom line, especially if you plan on using the springs, VERIFY their condition. While there is no substitute for checking it out for yourself, you might want to solicit input from the Park Service, for what that's worth.

Alternative water sources:

1. Bullock Spring (south of Cedar Canyon near the intersection of Kelso Cima) There are two other springs there which no longer supply above ground water, but still have available water inside the caves nearby. They are Chicken Spring and Mexican Water Spring.
2. Bathtub Spring (off of Ivanpah Road.)
3. Hole in the Wall campground (potable.)
4. Mid Hills Campground (potable)
5. The park Service has taken over the OX ranch and Kessler Spring Ranch and each has water. Best to check this out first.
6. Kelso Train Depot
7. Roy's Cafe in Amboy (they have sporadic hours and you should check it out beforehand).

There is another source of water, and it is very reliable - the private property residents that exist in this area. This may require some leads, and you may contact me by PM, if you are interested. In any event, there are sufficient water sources along the Road, even if you are traveling by motorcycle.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”