OAUSA Net - November 16, 2017 - Outdoor Photography

A preview of future nets
lrsrngr

Re: OAUSA Net - November 16, 2017 - Outdoor Photography

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm

KK6CTT for the on-line check in please!

Medal of Honor.jpg
The magic of using software to help bring your photos to life. Overcast days diffuse a lot of the light and the only thing similar is the opposite side of the spectrum with harsh bright and dark shadows.
Medal of Honor.jpg (436.01 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Ram 01.jpg
Full on no cropping, letting the camera do most of the work.
Ram 01.jpg (163.31 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Ram 01 Stats.jpg
The stats on the photo.
Ram 01 Stats.jpg (294.72 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Ram 01 Crop.jpg
Trying to get a closer look by simply cropping down from the original photo. Pixelation pretty visible.
Ram 01 Crop.jpg (92.71 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Ram 02.jpg
Zoomed in with the camera for the more clear "crop" vs the software crop directly above.
Ram 02.jpg (122.88 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Ram 02 Stats.jpg
The stats on the zoomed photo.
Ram 02 Stats.jpg (283.49 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Some things I have found over the years:
o If you can't hold a firearm steady you'll have to recognize your "limitations" and know when to use a monopod or tripod...or a field expedient rest for your camera.
o In that same vain, if you set your camera down (expedient rest) and use the timer, this will take the human shake out of the mix.
o If you can't hold it steady and you are at ISO 100, push your ISO to a faster speed. Ask the question, "Do a chance a blurry photo (useless) or do I get a semi-grainy shot, in focus and leave with a photo I can share and awe people with?
o Can I enhance the photo session by flexing more of the manual settings; if you can't...maybe you should consider practicing.
o Figure out your basic load and periphials:
- How many batteries you expect to go through.
- How many storage drives you might need (quality and the right storage device for your camera is a must up front).
- How to protect your storage devices (I like a pelican case I have for the water repellent qualities) https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ard+case+8
- Buy the steadying device you will carry. If you have a great tripod and it doesn't leave the house, it is useless. Monopod/tripod.
- The right camera bag that will carry all your stuff and protect all of your investment.
- Consider a shutter release device wired, wireless, time release and voice activated are some of the variations. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ase+remote
- A tenet: The more you open up your camera and change lenses, the quicker the internals will suffer from dust and debris. For my purposes a wide to tight zoom lens. The super zoom point and shoots do well and a 18-200mm for my DSLR give me the option of getting the right shot. I could have a better lens for the job but I might not carry all the right lens on any give trip and that is where compromise has to be made.

Have fun and remember, the best camera to have is the camera you will carry and become familiar enough with to "work" in order to capture those priceless moments.

161111, Kokoweef 640 10.jpg
The Kokoweef trip of 2016.
161111, Kokoweef 640 10.jpg (37.9 KiB) Viewed 61 times
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”