OAUSA Net - November 30, 2017 - Water Sports

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA Net - November 30, 2017 - Water Sports

Post by DaveK » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:48 pm

WATER SPORTS

Water sports is one of those activities that knows no season. Whether the water is in liquid form or frozen form, this sport always has something to offer. The number of activities here is large and we know we cant cover them all. SO...........we need for all of you that engage in a water sport to add to the discussion during the net, and especially, to add to this net preview with your stories and pictures.

For my contribution, I will focus on three types of water activities:
  • River Rafting
  • Lake Boating
  • House Boating
We are fortunate here in the Southwestern US to have opportunities to do each of these activities, and, in some of the most spectacularly scenic places in the country. Many of the tips and discussion on my picks will be discussed on the net.

RIVER RAFTING

I’ve seen the Grand Canyon from the south and north rims. The one view that I had missed entirely was to see the entire Grand Canyon at river level. It was one of the most amazing trips I have ever experienced. Running the river, and the daily side trips, gave us a view into the Canyon that no book or picture could ever hope to match. There was never a time when the urge to snap a picture wasn’t overwhelming. While the pictures below give a good view of the canyon, it must be actually seen to be fully appreciated.

The trip was an 8 day adventure through the entire Grand Canyon, beginning at Lees Ferry, just below the Glen Canyon Dam (which creates lake Powell), and travels 280 miles, over nearly 200 rapids, to Lake Mead. The Colorado River carries a rating for it's rapids, like most rivers, and we experienced them all.

Canyon Views

Canyon View-1.JPG
Canyon View-1.JPG (109.74 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Canyon View-3.JPG
Canyon View-3.JPG (102.17 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Canyon View-4.JPG
Canyon View-4.JPG (161.83 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Rapids

Rapids-1.JPG
Rapids-1.JPG (144.43 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Rapids-2.JPG
Rapids-2.JPG (146.76 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Little Colorado Meets the Muddy Colorado

Little Colorado Meets the Muddy Colorado-1.JPG
Little Colorado Meets the Muddy Colorado-1.JPG (166.57 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Little Colorado Meets the Muddy Colorado-2.JPG
Little Colorado Meets the Muddy Colorado-2.JPG (107.33 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Camp

Camp.JPG
Camp.JPG (160.06 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Waterfalls

Waterfalls.JPG
Waterfalls.JPG (85.34 KiB) Viewed 449 times

LAKE BOATING

The American South West is blessed with some of the most fantastic lakes in the country. Not surprisingly, several of these lakes are courtesy of the mighty Colorado, but regardless of where you go, there is no shortage of boating opportunities.

Without exception, each of the lakes of the Colorado is located in the desert, making them a perfect place for family vacations. Whether its fishing, boating, kayaking, jet skiing, or just floating, it is one of the best places to enjoy water sports. Whatever your preference, there are a number of tips and warnings that the prepared boater needs to heed. More on the net.

Lake Mojave Wakeboarding.JPG
Lake Mojave Wakeboarding.JPG (102.37 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Lake Views.JPG
Lake Views.JPG (69.24 KiB) Viewed 447 times
On the way to the Hoover Dam.JPG
On the way to the Hoover Dam.JPG (80.68 KiB) Viewed 447 times
On the way to the Hoover Dam-2.JPG
On the way to the Hoover Dam-2.JPG (112.51 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Bad weather on its way.JPG
Bad weather on its way.JPG (86.17 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Bad weather on its way-2.JPG
Bad weather on its way-2.JPG (44.71 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Jet Skiing.jpg
Jet Skiing.jpg (951.18 KiB) Viewed 446 times
View of Hoover Dam.jpg
View of Hoover Dam.jpg (859.14 KiB) Viewed 446 times

HOUSE BOATING

Little needs to be said about Lake Powell. It is worth noting however, that it is one of the most exceptional and beautiful lakes in the country. One note of caution - over the course of the last few years, the lake level has been down. Although the rains of last year have helped considerably to raise the lake, it is best to check that out before you make your plans.

Lake Views

Lake Powell-1.jpg
Lake Powell-1.jpg (834.43 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Lake Powell-2.jpg
Lake Powell-2.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 444 times

Nope, he didn't make it. It was crash and burn time!

Lake Powell-3.jpg
Lake Powell-3.jpg (828.14 KiB) Viewed 444 times

One of the many things to avoid

Bad day on the lake.JPG
Bad day on the lake.JPG (115.27 KiB) Viewed 437 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KI7NAI
Call Sign: KI7NAI

Re: OAUSA Net - November 30, 2017 - Water Sports

Post by KI7NAI » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Multi-day float trips

boat types
When considering a multi day float trip there are a lot of factors that have to be considered, often the choice of boat determines the location for the trip, the season, what gear to pack, and how it will be packed.
photo 1.JPG
Kayaking the Multnomah channel
photo 1.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Kayaks
Kayaks are quick on the water, easy to paddle, shed wind well and with the double ended paddle they are very efficient to paddle. The downside to kayaks is that cargo space is limited. I compare planning for a kayak trip to planning a backpack trip, weight and bulk are important considerations. Normally all gear goes inside the kayak, in the photo above I ran out of room inside the kayak and had to lash a dry bag to the deck of the boat. While this is acceptable, it did decrease the stability and aerodynamics of the boat to some degree.
Wilapa Bay 035.JPG
Canoeing Wilapa Bay
Wilapa Bay 035.JPG (3.64 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Canoe
Canoes are easy to paddle and quick on the water, able to carry heavy loads and typically very stable. Downsides to canoes are they don't shed wind well, and the open bow makes them easy to swamp, they aren't normally used in white water except by very experienced paddlers.
Canoe trip 003.JPG
swamped canoe on teh Willamette river
Canoe trip 003.JPG (5.04 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Canoes are more difficult to learn to paddle than a kayak or raft, once the technique is learned canoes glide effortlessly through the water.
Wilapa Bay 007.JPG
Dutch ovens packed in Canoes
Wilapa Bay 007.JPG (3.44 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Canoe camping is like car camping, generally a canoe can carry all the gear a person could need plus most of the things they might want. Heavy and bulky items like dutch ovens, full size camp stoves, watermelons are all easy to accommodate in a canoe.

(no picture)
Raft
Rafts are big, tough and stable, they can carry huge amounts of gear and people, inexperienced paddlers can safely navigate moderate white water, experienced paddlers can safely navigate huge rapids. The downside to paddling a raft is having to paddle the raft, they are clumsy and slow, don't shed wind well and can be dangerous in a capsize.

Rafting is like camping in an RV or it can be like ultralight backpacking, depending on the number of people on the trip and the number of boats. A single raft can hold as much gear as a couple of canoes and a single person can normally maneuver the raft, more people means less space for gear and more people requiring gear.

River rating system
https://wetplanetwhitewater.com/rafting/class-system/
Rivers are rated class I-VI. Class I is a calm slow moving stream or river, class VI is impassible for sane individuals. Class I-II should be safe for anybody in a kayak or canoe with minimal experience most beginners will capsize a canoe or kayak in class II rapids, beginners should have little problem navigating class II rapids in a raft, class III would be safe for inexperienced paddlers in a raft, with a guide, more advanced water demands more experience and guides. Even class I-II rivers can be dangerous, every year people die in rivers because they are not wearing their life jacket (see first picture.)

Life Jackets
Ski vests are made to be used in a lake, not in a river! Swimming in a current is significantly more difficult than treading water in still water, if the water is aerated it is less buoyant. Life jackets designed for paddle sports have additional flotation material and are designed for less restricted movement when paddling, many have additional straps so the vest can be cinched down more completely so the wearer doesn't slip out of the jacket in fast moving water. If you can't afford to buy a high quality life jacket, rent one, if you can't afford to rent a life jacket, you can't afford to go on a paddling trip.

Keeping Gear Dry
Dry bags- really a misnomer, they're damp bags, as in everything inside the bag has the potential to become damp
https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-Waterpr ... +bag&psc=1
This bag doesn't necessarily earn my recommendation, it's just the first result that came up when I searched Amazon for "dry bag." There are lots of different sizes and materials, the cheap bags work 98% as well as the expensive bags, more expensive bags are more durable and may have convenient features like external pockets, windows, lashing points, etc.

Dry Boxes- For items that have to stay dry I don't trust dry bags, I will only put my camera, phone, radio, and other items that have to stay dry in a pelican case. These cases are available in dozens of sizes and shapes, and a few different colors.

Garbage bags- Use at your own risk, garbage bags tear easily and are difficult to seal and almost impossible to lash down. Zip lock bags used to be really good, but in the last 10 years it seems like they always leak at the seams around the zipper.

No matter what you pack your gear in, everything needs to be tied to the boat, I learned the hard way, somewhere at the bottom of the Colorado river is a camp stove, a fishing pole and a bag with tent poles.
Attachments
Canoe trip 020.JPG
Canoeing the Willamette river
Canoe trip 020.JPG (3.66 MiB) Viewed 649 times

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:18 pm

KK6CTT for the online check-in please.

Keep a low profile in the boat. When in a canoe and you find your bow being swung round by the wind, sit in the middle of the craft keeping the keel anchored in the water to track straight ahead. Admittedly, it took me an hour to finally get to shore on a lake in AZ where calm winds were present on the way out but 10-15 mph winds on the way back played havoc with keeping the bow pointed to shore when I sat at the rear third of the canoe.

Looking forward to the net. One of these days I would like to do some camping excursions. Fishing out of a canoe and other minor "cruises" in a canoe have always left something to be desired for some real trekking via watercraft.
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 pm

NEW CALIFORNIA GUN LAWS

For those fortunate enough to live under the divine wisdom of the laws of the state of California, and who own guns, want to own guns or want to buy ammunition, you need to know the details of several new laws that will soon take effect. The California Rifle and Pistol Association has compiled a summary of these changes which can be found here: http://crpa.org/general-summary-informa ... earm-laws/. Here is a PDF of these changes:
2018-New-Gun-Laws-1.pdf
(3.11 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

If you need a more in depth analysis, Attorney Chuck Michel has written a terrific guide, available here: https://californiariflepistol.z2systems ... atalogId=1&

Chuck Michel - CA Gun Laws.jpg
Chuck Michel - CA Gun Laws.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 504 times
DaveK
K6DTK

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 am

Hello Dave, Tom and the Net
Kevin- KK6DGL

First things First- Safety and responsibility.

California Boating Laws and Regulations
Do you need California Boating education?
California
Starting January 1, 2018, California law will require boaters to carry the California Boater Card. The law will be phased in over eight years.

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of California to take this online course.

Elsewhere
Boating education is currently required in several U.S. states and Canadian provinces.

Age and Operator Restrictions
California law requires a person to be 16 years of age or older to legally operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 hp or more, including personal watercraft (PWCs).

Exceptions to this law are:

Persons 12 to 15 years of age may operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 hp or more, including PWCs, if they are supervised on board by a person at least 18 years of age.
There is no age restriction for operating a sailboat under 30 ft. long (with wind as the main source of propulsion) or a dinghy used between a moored vessel and shore or between two moored vessels.
It is illegal to permit a person under the age of 16 to operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 hp or more, including PWCs, without onboard supervision by a person 18 years of age or older. https://www.boat-ed.com/california/

Boating while Intoxicated
The same rules that apply to operating motor vehicles
while intoxicated, apply to most types of watercraft.

Emergency Services
United States Coast Guard and Harbor Masters monitor
Channel 16 VHF (156.8 MHz). It is the marine VHF radio frequency designated as an international distress frequency.
Marine VHF radio refers to the radio frequency range between 156.0 and 174 MHz, inclusive.

Assisting a Vessel in Distress
You are obliged by law to render assistance to a vessel in distress if you can do so without endangering your vessel or crew.

Consider the following measures so that you will be prepared to render assistance.

If you have VHF radio, continually monitor channel 16 when underway.
Keep a constant lookout, watching for signals of vessels in distress.

Vessel Towing Services
Memberships in these companies are valuable if you own or are a frequent guest on a boat, especially on the ocean. Think of them as AAA on the water.
https://www.boatus.com/membership/
https://www.seatow.com/marine-services/vessel-recovery

Ham Radio on the Water
Link to Seafarers Net https://www.pacseanet.com/

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 am

General Boating Information

Many years ago, I sold boats boats from 17' to 45' in family runabouts, high performance and also cabin cruisers. I have also owned boats and personal watercraft (PWC's). I would like to offer the following suggestions on selecting or operating a boat.

1. Rent a boat first. Many lakes and harbors offer boat rentals of all types. This is a great way to become familiar with and make an informed decision on what suites you best.

2. If you are new to boating, hire a Captain to teach you and your family how to operate your new boat safely. We used to include this on new Yacht sales.

3. Boaters, like Ham operators, are usually friendly and helpful.
Ask for help or advice if you need it.

4. Know your local boating laws and regulations. Know the rules of the road for boaters.

5. Always have the minimum required safety equipment along with food, water and medications, etc regardless of how long or far you are going out. "Think Gilligan's Island." I have been stuck offshore in the past.

6. Carry an extra set of keys and eyeglasses. You will drop at least one set of keys overboard. You will lose your glasses trying retrieve your keys.

7. Your anchor line will be too short. Carry an extra 100'. At some point, you will need a second anchor. Might as well get one now. Never use polypropylene rope as an anchor line as it floats and can get caught in propellers.

8. You will operate your boat in the sun, vinyl seats get hot. Bring extra towels.

9. A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. But the times you share with family and friends is worth twice as much.

10. If you are going to use your boat in the ocean, always purchase towing/mechanical insurance.

Essential boaters reference- Chapman Piloting
IMG_3599.JPG
Arguably the most complete boaters guide available.
IMG_3599.JPG (2.58 MiB) Viewed 501 times
Kevin- KK6DGL

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 am

PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT

The spotlight this week is on a product that should be of interest to many handloaders - propellants, aka smokeless powder. From the very first introduction of smokeless powder, it suffered from several problems, one of which was its sensitivity to changes in ambient temperatures. Under the best of circumstances, these changes would cause shifts in the point of impact. Worst case scenarios involved failures to ignite or hang-fires. While these problems were not acceptable to the civilian market, it was of particular concern to our military.

Eventually, technology came to the rescue, and beginning in the 1930s, the DuPont Company developed a line of propellants that were considerably less resistant to temp changes. They introduced this line of products under the name of "Improved Military Rifle" or IMR, and they are still manufactured today and are some of the most popular on the market.

These improvements however, while doing a good job of reducing sensitivity, did not eliminate it or reduce it as significantly as was needed, especially by our military. Again, technology came to the rescue, and as a result of efforts, started in response to military needs, there are now powders available on the civilian market that have nearly eliminated this and other problems, (or pretty close).

As an additional benefit to these advances in propellant technology, several powders now come with a feature that should be of immense value to volume shooters and those who hate cleaning their firearms - a copper fouling eliminator. Yes, that's right, these powders will greatly reduce the copper fouling that comes from firing jacketed bullets. FYI, sufficient barrel fouling, can have a significant impact on accuracy, and to some extent, on velocity and pressure, as well. Such a problem was highly unacceptable to our combat troops. Thus, we now have propellants that address this problem.

Currently, there are civilian offerings from three of the top manufacturers/suppliers that have both of these features. There are other benefits as well, but if your shooting requires accuracy, regardless of the temperatures (for the most part) and/or you are a volume shooter, these products deserve your attention. The three companies here are IMR (in their Enduron line), Hodgdon (in their Extreme and CFE lines) and Alliant, (in their Reloader line.)

From the Hodgdon and Alliant websites:

IMR Enduron Powder.jpg
IMR Enduron Powder.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Hodgdon H4350.jpg
Hodgdon H4350.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Hodgdon CFE.jpg
Hodgdon CFE.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Alliant Powder.jpg
Alliant Powder.jpg (20.12 KiB) Viewed 462 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Early Check In.

WD6USA - Jeff
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

KA9WDX
Call Sign: KA9WDX

Post by KA9WDX » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Early check in please - thanks - Bernie

kevinhum55
Call Sign: W6RIP

Post by kevinhum55 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Early Check In