OAUSA Net - January18, 2018 - Motorcycle Camping and Travel

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA Net - January18, 2018 - Motorcycle Camping and Travel

Post by DaveK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm

MOTORCYCLE CAMPING AND TRAVEL

This week we add a new perspective to outdoor adventures - motorcycle camping and travel. The motorcyclist has many advantages that the 4 wheel crowd doesn't. Exploring your favorite location on a motorcycle is a freedom that no 4 wheeler can experience. At the same time, however, they have a whole new set of challenges to face, such as how to carry all the gear that we need to enjoy the wilderness.

If you ride and camp with your MC, we need your input. Post your advice, suggestions, tips and most importantly, your pictures.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: OAUSA Net - January18, 2018 - Motorcycle Camping and Travel

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Packed bike.jpg
Packed Bike
Packed bike.jpg (388.35 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Here is the Moto Guzzi Norge with the dry bag holding the camping equipment and the 3 liter water bladder. You can also see the 2m/440Mhz ham radio antenna attached to the left pannier. Straps on the dry bag hold it to the hand grips on either side of the saddle. The water bladder is held down by the straps across the top of the dry bag keeping it closed.
Dry bag and water bladder.jpg
Dry bag and water bladder.jpg (351.97 KiB) Viewed 854 times
This is a view from the rear of the bike showing the antenna mount and the dry bag attached to the passenger hand grips. I also use a bungee cord or two across the load for extra security when riding.

The radio is a Yaesu VX-8 with the GPS receiver which allows the use of APRS if desired. Power is provided by a fused 12v power lead running from the battery into the pannier. The radio is attached to the side of the pannier using industrial strength Velcro. The radio isn't used while riding but is there for emergencies and can be used in camp while still on the bike using a blue tooth headset.

Having a ham radio on the bike provides extra piece of mind while riding in remote areas where cell phone service is often unavailable. The radio is programmed using the ARRL Travel Plus along with radio programming software before a trip so all of the repeaters along the way are ready to go if needed.
Packed dry bag.jpg
Packed dry bag.jpg (291.12 KiB) Viewed 855 times
The loaded dry bag off the bike.
Dry bag contents.jpg
Dry bag contents.jpg (253.14 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Here are the contents of the dry bag. From left to right are the sleeping bag, LED light, cot, and tent. The tent bag holds the footprint, tent, poles, and rain fly. Not show is the cooking kit which is also carried in the dry bag. Note that the cot bag has a handy clear plastic pocket on the front to hold the assembly instructions.
Cooking Equipment.jpg
Cooking Equipment.jpg (266.67 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Contents of the cooking kit. This is the smallest pot that can fit the stove inside. The pot and lid are teflon coated to make cleanup easier. The lid can be used as a frying pan. The folded sliver piece under the stove pump is a folding wind block for the stove.
Stove Support Baggie.jpg
Stove Support Baggie.jpg (244.29 KiB) Viewed 855 times
A ziplock bag was used to carry a couple of butane lighters, sharp knife, eating utensils, pot handle, and some tea bags.
Stove Setup.jpg
Stove Setup.jpg (353.57 KiB) Viewed 855 times
The cooking kit in use making some morning tea.
Assembled cot.jpg
Assembled cot.jpg (372.6 KiB) Viewed 855 times
A shot showing the underside of the LuxuryLite cot. Here is their web site - http://www.luxurylite.com The tent can be seen set up in the background. The Luxurylite cot is now a product of Thermarest. They have improved the design making the cot a little higher and added a thermo-reflective coating on the underside of the cot material as the Ultra LIte cot. The original LuxuryLite cost is available as the Mesh Cot. Here is their website - https://www.thermarest.com/cots
Assembled cot upright.jpg
Assembled cot upright.jpg (371.79 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Another shot of the cot.
Tent Interior.jpg
Tent Interior.jpg (220.83 KiB) Viewed 855 times
The complete setup in the tent with cot, sleeping bag, and light. The towel doubles as a pillow when wrapped around the clothes packs. This tent has plenty of screen panels making it suitable for hot weather when used without the rain fly.
Packed Pannier.jpg
Packed Pannier.jpg (342 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Here is an example of a packed pannier. Note the green and mesh clothes pack. These are very handy for keeping your clothes folded and organized with a minimum of extra space and weight. Another ziplock bag is used to hold papers maps on top where they are easily accessed. You can also see a crushable hat, yellow microfiber towel, and the stove fuel bottle. The proximity of the fuel bottle to the muffler looks like a problem but motorcycle magazine tests have shown that there is very little difference in the interior temperature of the panniers regardless of their proximity to the exhaust.
Me in camp.jpg
Me in camp.jpg (462.35 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Camp set up in the woods with a happy camper.

You can see from the gear draped over the windshield that I'm one of those ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) riders. I wear an armored shirt under my jacket. It keeps the important parts of the armor in place regardless of the jacket fit. Admittedly, it feels uncomfortable when you first put it on but once you're on the bike and moving you don't really notice it. The biggest drawback is a sweaty back but that's a small price to pay for the ultimate motorcycling protection short of an airbag jacket.

RESOURCES:

Lightweight Motorcycle Travel.jpg
Lightweight Motorcycle Travel.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Here is good little book that provides inspiration and information for motorcycle touring -

It has basic information on equipment, trip planning, suggested rides, and additional resources.

http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/books/i ... -book.html
Butler Maps.jpg
Butler Maps.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Butler maps are a great resource for planning motorcycle trips. They highlight and rate roads according to riding fun (i.e. lots of twisties) and scenery. They point out enjoyable minor back roads that you might otherwise miss (or want to avoid if driving a car :o )
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Please check me in.
Kevin
KK6DGL

Wildland909
Call Sign: KN6FPT

Post by Wildland909 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Check me in please. KN6FPT

KA9WDX
Call Sign: KA9WDX

Post by KA9WDX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Early check in please - Thanks - Bernie

KK6DYO
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Please check me in tonight. Thanks.

HsuuJrt
Call Sign: Kg5pmn

Post by HsuuJrt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Please give me an early check-in.
James kg5pmn

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 pm

KK6CTT for the on-line check-in please.
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Eighteen States, Law Enforcement, Doctors, and Firearm Rights Groups File Amicus Briefs in Lawsuit Challenging California 10+ Magazine Ban

We will discuss this on the net. Two links for additional info:
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DSREHDER
Call Sign: K6MXZ

Post by DSREHDER » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Please check in K6MXZ.
Thanks
Doug Rehder

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”