OAUSA Net - May 31, 2018 - Shooting

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA Net - May 31, 2018 - Shooting

Post by DaveK » Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am

ANNOUNCEMENT

Field Day / Summer Fest is about 3 weeks away. If you haven't made your plans, yet, consider joining OAUSA. Check us out here: viewtopic.php?f=212&t=4154&p=33310#p33310

SHOOTING

Our net this week will cover another aspect of the topic of firearms - SHOOTING. We will do our best to include the high points, but the scope of this discussion is so large that we would need several nets to deal with it all, (although that might not be a bad idea.)

Like so many of our topics, this is one which should include different ways to do things. This is where we need your help. If there is an area that we mention (or fail to mention) for which you have experience, let us know. Pictures are always welcome, but information links, descriptions and instructions are always helpful.

Look upon this as a way of exercising both your First Amendment and Second Amendment rights. Join us!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin

Re: OAUSA Net - May 31, 2018 - Shooting

Post by DaveK » Wed May 30, 2018 11:46 am

DISCUSSION OUTLINE

Here is our opening outline, subject to any additional topics that come up here or during the net.

1. Range safety
2. Range setup
3. Range equipment
4. Sighting in of scoped firearms
5. Range clean-up
6. Transportation of firearms to the range
7. Places to shoot
8. Legal - lead bans
9. Distances at which to sight-in firearms
10. Shooting techniques

We will be posting pictures, links and information related to these topics.

*********SECOND MOST IMPORTANT SHOOTING ISSUE *********

The Second Amendment enshrines one of our most important freedoms, and Americans, by the millions, understand this. Too many people, however, have no concept of the reasons why it exists, and continue in this ignorance bacause they are surrounded by a media and some politicians who are equally ignorant.

Part of your responsibility, as a beneficiary of the Second Amendment, is to educate and inform the ignorant, first, by setting a good example of responsible gun ownership. Spreading the truth about this Constitutional right means more, however. We all have friends, relatives, children, grandchildren, co-workers, bosses, and yes, even people we know who may not understand the Second Amendment. Next time you go shooting, invite one along. Teach them about safe gun ownership, let them shoot, answer their questions, and encourage them to join you again. Be an ambassador for the Second Amendment!!!

You don't need to be famous, rich, a politician, a public speaker or president of the NRA to make a difference.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed May 30, 2018 2:20 pm

RANGE SAFETY

The most important topic involving firearms, at all times, is safety. This applies at all stages of firearms use, including, but not limited to, shooting, hunting, storage, handloading, transportation, and cleaning. There will be an expanded information section here as well as on the net.

Here are some excellent links to range safety and etiquette:

1. NRA - https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2016 ... etiquette/
2. Mag Tech - http://www.magtechammunition.com/resour ... den-rules/
3. NSSF - https://www.nssf.org/safety/rules-firearms-safety/
4. NRA Explore - https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed May 30, 2018 3:21 pm

RANGE EQUIPMENT

To a large degree, your selection of range gear and equipment will be a personal choice, guided somewhat by your budget. For those who strive to squeeze the most out of your firearms, there is a huge selection of shooting gear that can help you be a better and more accurate shot.

For all you Hams out there, I have found that there is curious parallel between your radio gear obsession and the obsession that many shooters have. In both cases, having the right equipment can be an asset to your sport.

Setting up a safe and functional range station involves certain specialized gear. To the extent that your preference for range work is a public facility, you may not need some of the items mentioned below. Make no mistake about it however, if the public range does not supply the types of gear mentioned, you may want to find another. More on the net.

1. Solid Bench

Over the years, I have tried out just about every type of bench to use when I am out in the field for a day of shooting, including card tables, home made contraptions, and the folding leg tables that are often sold in places like Home Depot. While prices did vary somewhat, there was one thing that they all had in common - they were flimsy, unsteady, or incredibly bulky and heavy. The other thing that they shared was that they all had 4 legs. Rarely, if ever, will you find a shooting spot where the ground is level enough where all four legs have good contact with the ground. Few things can make your quest for accuracy more difficult that a shooting bench that is continually rocking back and forth.

The solution to this problem is made by Stukey's Shooting Benches. The bench accommodates right and left handed shooters, incredibly heavy duty, isuitable for rifles and handguns, steady on uneven ground, easy to set up, and easy to carry. It is their triangular leg design that makes this bench so steady and heavy duty. And, one of the best features is that it is made right here in the USA, in Wyoming. Their website contains more pictures and descriptions: http://www.shootingbenches.com/index.html . The table is not cheap, but the cost is mitigated by the fact that this bench should last a lifetime. Quality is not cheap. Choose wisely!

AND, I really like the Stukey motto:
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
From their website:
Shooting Bench in the Field.jpg
Shooting Bench in the Field.jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 250 times

This is strength!!!!

Shooting Bench HD.jpg
Shooting Bench HD.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 250 times

2. Shooting chair

Stukey also offers a similarly featured shooting chair that is adjustable in height and has three legs. Standard seating height chairs do not take into account the physical differences in all shooters. Having a chair that can adjust to accommodate your physical size, makes for more comfortable, and ultimately more accurate, shooting.

(From the Stukey website).

Shooting chair.jpg
Shooting chair.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 250 times

3. Rifle rests and sand bags

Sand bags and adjustable rifle rests are a great way to help you sight in your rifle..

Sand Bags

Sand bags are one of those things which you can make your self or buy, already made, and both will work very well. One easy way to make your own is to visit your local shotgun supply store. Often times they sell empty shot bags which can be filled with sand and crimped for permanent closure.

The bags pictured below, which I made, are 20+ years old and have withstood everything I've dished out. One note of caution - IF you use them for shooting handguns, be sure and keep them away from muzzle blast and the flash that exits the barrel/cylinder gap. Either will quickly burn the fabric of the bags, leaving you with a sandy mess.

Sand bags by DTK.jpg
Sand bags by DTK.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 246 times

Sinclair International has a good selection of sand bags and sand bag materials to make your own, see: https://www.sinclairintl.com/search/ind ... &ksubmit=y

Rifle rests

Rifle rests are a great way to sight in your rifle. I will mention only two here, but there are many others on the market. Not all rifle rests offer the same features, but here are some that you might consider:
  • protection of the firearm
  • ease of adjustment for windage and elevation
  • reduction of recoil
  • Robust and quality construction to withstand constant recoil
a. Bench Master Rifle Rest.

I discovered this rest many years ago and it has survived everything from hard bucking magnums to .22 rifles. It is solid, adjustable, padded in the right places, and helps to tame the magnums. Recoil reduction has not always been necessary, but it’s sure is nice to have it for some of the bigger calibers. With this rest, two bags of lead shot, on the front legs, does the trick.

The Bench Master is very affordable and a great value, given it's quality and robust construction, see: http://www.benchmasterusa.com/store/pro ... e-Cadillac .

benchmaster.jpg
benchmaster.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 242 times

b. Target Shooting, Incorporated.

In the world of rifle rests, there are a few that are real standouts. For those who want some serious high quality in a "tough-as-nails" product, that looks like a Ferrari for shooting, the Target Shooting rests fill the bill. Made in the USA and meant to last a long time, these rests have few peers. They have several models from which to choose, and a visit to their website should give you a better idea of what to expect. See: https://targetshooting.worldsecuresystems.com/

TSI 1000LP.jpg
TSI 1000LP.jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 238 times
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm

RANGE GEAR, PART 2

1. Ear Protection

Any one who has been shooting for any length of time knows that one of the most important pieces of protective gear that you can have is ear protection. It's no surprise that many older shooters suffer from varying degrees of hearing loss due to poor hearing protection over many years of shooting. Hearing loss is a cumulative thing, meaning that each bit of damage to your hearing adds up.

Today there are essentially two types of hearing protection - earplugs and earmuffs, and when used correctly, they can be very effective. The effectiveness of these devices is rated by the number of decibels by which the device can reduce noise. This noise reduction rating is reflected by a numerical designation, on a scale of 0 to 30. The higher the rating, the more effective the device. Here are two examples:

Ear Plugs

IMG_1558 (Large).JPG
IMG_1558 (Large).JPG (80.57 KiB) Viewed 219 times
IMG_1565 (Large).JPG
IMG_1565 (Large).JPG (80.15 KiB) Viewed 219 times

Ear muffs

The muffs pictured below are the Electronic Ultimate Power Muff Quads by Walker and include both great hearing protection, but also sound amplification. From the Walker's website:
Four Hi Gain Omni Directional Microphones
9x Hearing Enhancement
Power - 50dB
Adjustable Frequency Tuning – AFT
2 independent volume controls
Sound activated compression (SAC)
Noise reducing rating, NRR 26dB
Compact folding design
Anti-Microbial Ear Pads
Available in Black, Mossy Oak and Realtree finish
Power source 2 Energizer® ‘AAA’ batteries (included)
Walker Ear Muffs.jpg
Walker Ear Muffs.jpg (1013.14 KiB) Viewed 219 times

2. Eye Protection

Eye protection is a must for anyone who shoots. In most cases there is no second chance when it comes to damage to your eyes from fast moving projectiles. For the most part, this is a "you get what you pay for", proposition. This is not to say that you have to spend hundreds of dollars to get adequate protection, but you should know what to look for and be prepared to spend a reasonable amount for decent eye protection. Here are some of the basics of good eye pro:

1. it must be compliant with MIL-PRF-31013

2. the lens must be one piece (as opposed to one lens for each eye).

3. the one piece lens must be connected at the top by a continuous bar

4. a wide, comfortable, and preferably soft rubber nose piece is critical.

5. it must fit well.

Lucky Gunner Labs has written an excellent article on eye protection and it is a must read for anyone who shoots. The article includes testing done on different types of shooting glasses, and can be viewed here: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-pro ... es-review/.

One of the glasses tested was the Smith Aegis, which was in an intermediate price range and which was compliant with both standards. It received TOP marks. It comes with two lenses, clear and gray, and a padded carrying case, all for less than $100.00. What are your eyes worth??? Here is what it looks like.

Smith Shooting Glasses.jpg
Smith Shooting Glasses.jpg (956.32 KiB) Viewed 218 times

3. Sighting-in tools

Sighting in your rifle is a complex and involved topic, which could be a net all to itself. So for our purposes now, we will concentrate mostly on the procedures to use in initially sighting in a new scope. More, if time permits.

Getting your scope dialed in is one of those things that every shooter should learn how to do. Assuming that your rifle is capable of delivering acceptable accuracy and assuming that you are using quality ammunition that will deliver consistent results, the rest is up to the you to make the rifle and the ammunition live up to their potential. The following three methods are necessary to begin the process of sighting in your rifle. These steps are only the beginning, but they will will allow you to get your first shots "on paper".

1. Bore sighting (see http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ht/htboresight.htm);

2. Using a collimator and arbor (available on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L ... entries*=0 );

IMG_1567 (Large).JPG
IMG_1567 (Large).JPG (92.29 KiB) Viewed 218 times

3. Using a laser bore sighter.

Laser Boresighter.jpg
Laser Boresighter.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 218 times

4. Laser range finders

Range finders have worked their way into the gear bag of many hunters and shooters. Advances in technology have not only made them quite accurate but have also brought the prices way down. In a certain sense, range finders are like GPS units - total reliance on them can be dangerous and/or very disappointing. In the case of range finders, it can be a mistake to rely totally on them to the exclusion of developing skills to estimate distances. For hunters, there will be an occasion when you do not have the time to use the range finder, and must rely on your ability to gauge distance. For shooters and hunters who will have the time to use the range finder, they can be a valuable part of your shooting gear.

There are a lot of range finders on the market, with different features and sizes, and you will need to do some research. I've discovered one thing about these devices - they have become a permanent part of my hunting gear as well as my shooting gear!!! To my surprise, I found that my 100 and 200 yard targets were off by a couple of yards.

Nikon Range Finder.jpg
Nikon Range Finder.jpg (870.07 KiB) Viewed 217 times

5. Chronographs and Target Camera

A chronograph is one of the last measurements of the quality of your handloads. When consistency and uniformity are your goals, the information from your chronograph can be invaluable.

A target camera can be a real shoe leather saver. Since all of our shooting is done in the desert, and generally during the warmer parts of the year, the value of a spotting scope is sometimes nil, due to heat waves. Target cameras are available for shooters whose targets go out as much as a mile. For us, saving a trip to the 200 and 300 yards targets to get an idea of where we are hitting, is a real pleasure.

Shooting - chrono,  bench, target cam6 (Large).jpg
Shooting - chrono, bench, target cam6 (Large).jpg (182.82 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Shooting - chrono,  bench, target cam4 (Large).jpg
Shooting - chrono, bench, target cam4 (Large).jpg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Shooting - chrono,  bench, target cam5 (Large).jpg
Shooting - chrono, bench, target cam5 (Large).jpg (79.13 KiB) Viewed 217 times

6. Spotting Scope, Cleaning Kit (with tools for repairs), Paper Targets, Target Boards, Staple Gun, Target Dots,
DaveK
K6DTK

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Thu May 31, 2018 7:36 am

Please check me in.
Kevin
KK6DGL

KK6DYO
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Thu May 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Please check me in for this evening.

Adding Shooting Education to the agenda, I'm a firm believer in learning from those who know, so have taken a number of classes on shooting in its various forms. Most--but not all--have been good to excellent. You always learn something new, and I never mind having some range time.

I received an NRA Rifle Instructor certification from the following So Cal organization, which I can strongly recommend. Note the 5-star rating on Yelp after 100+ reviews.

Allsafe Defense Systems, Orange, California

Note: There is an NRA instructor discount available from many manufacturers, which has more than offset the cost of the course.

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Thu May 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Product Spot Light

Gerber Strap Cutter $16.22
Here is a source
http://www.liveactionsafety.com/

Not sure if we discussed this product before but it is one that is on my mind. I plan to order a few.
I do not have a good place to mount a seat belt cutter on the dash , door or console. And I am not sure I could fish one out of my pocket.

I recall seeing these in the MATVs when training the military. I need to find out if they are a bother with day to day use of the seat belt.
The case clips onto the seat belt. You position it somewhere in the middle of your body on the seat belt so you can reach it with a hand.
Alternatively, it can be clipped to a strap hanging from a grab handle or some such.

I hope not to be able to report back on their actual use!
Gerber Strap Cutter.jpg
Gerber Strap Cutter.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 207 times

Gerber Strap Cutter NSN# 5110-01-578-4889 is also a window punch! Seat belt cutter will cut through webbing like using a hot knife on soft butter. Simple as that. No need to worry about cuts or punctures where you don't want them. The design shields the cutting edge, protecting delicate surfaces.

Features:
•Cuts through nylon straps and seat belts in seconds
•Single Bevel Knife Edge with Blunt Hook
•Stainless Steel Construction, Black Oxide Coating
•Textured Back Edge
•Injection Molded Rubber Grip
•Glass Breaker/Lanyard Hole
•Finger Hook
•Extra Large Finger Hole
•Sold Individually
•Made in USA
•Available Colors: Olive Drab or Tan