Axis Lock

Pushbutton Lock
Pushbutton Lock

KI7NAI
Call Sign: KI7NAI

Re: OAUSA Net - Edged Implements - November 15, 2018

Post by KI7NAI » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Assisted opening vs automatic

An assisted opening knife differs from an automatic because the blade is held closed by spring tension, to open the knife the spring tension must be overcome by hand before the opening mechanism assists the blade opening. An automatic always has spring tension opening the knife but is latched closed with a mechanical latch, when the latch is released the blade opens.

Kershaw Leek is an assisted opening knife

Kershaw Leek assisted opening

A Microtech LUDT is an automatic
Microtech LUDT Automatic

A Kershaw Thistle is a pushbutton lock, but manual opening knife
Kershaw thistle is a pushbutton lock, manual opening knife

Some states, counties and cities have legislation prohibiting assisted and automatic knives. The rules are somewhat vague for example, until 2012, an assisted opening knife was considered a "spring blade" knife in the state of Washington and fell under the same category as a switch blade, it was illegal to sale or carry an assisted opening knife in the state of Washington. In Portland, Oregon it is legal to carry an assisted opening knife, in Tigard, Oregon (a suburb of Portland) an assisted opening knife is considered a concealed weapon, unless the pocket clip is visible.

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:00 pm

KK6CTT for the check-in please.

Much like most things I have found in my life I have champagne taste but an "every man's" budget and find that when I do splurge on a fine tool or edged implement, I tend to carry my "every man's" blade and get good use out of it while the expensive blades collect dust. That said I would like to add the following as an "every man's" list of potential tools:

o Victorinox "Swiss Army" knife line.
o Mora fixed blade for a solid light-medium duty camp knife.
o The Anza line of files turned knife; annealed, shaped, tempered, sharpened and finished for medium-heavy use.
o The Buck line for a solid US made line of production knives (be aware, they also have foreign made knives in their line up) and I'm sure Case knives definitely have a place in this but for whatever reason, I have never had the fortune of owning a Case.
o USGI/USMC "Ka-Bar" knives made by Ontario, Ka-Bar, Camillus and most recently Cutco Cutlery. To include the smaller survival knives and medium sized blades, they are all great fighting and general purpose high carbon knives.
o The USGI Machete for moderate-light/heavy camp chopping chores.
o A pruning saw and in a bind a bow saw but I really think an old quality traditional pruning saw is a great tool.
o Corona pruning shears.
o Leatherman tool company multi-tools and others.
o And usually that is where I hold fast. I do not usually need an axe, maul or other heavy-heavy chopping implement.

Honorable Mention:
o Puma knives with steel from Solingen Germany. Most notably the "Hunter" series of knives and an all-time favorite and unique blade design, the "White Hunter."
o The Canadian Belt Knife for the odd shape but utilitarian handling characteristics for hunting, skinning and dressing.

Safety Examples:

o PPE; Personal Protective Equipment: Eyes, hands, feet and general exposed or "at risk" areas of the body.
o 1st aid kit and trauma kit on hand.
o The "Safety Circle"
o The "Axe Yard"
o The "Thank You System"
o "Coming Through" "Go Forth"
o "The Triangle of Death"
Last edited by lrsrngr on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:19 pm

OTHER EDGED IMPLEMENTS

Knives are not the entirety of edged implements. If you spend time in the outdoors, camping, hunting, or just working on the cabin, there are other tools with edges that require your attention, In this category, there is not the vast selection of metals as there are with knives, nor are the cutting edge angles as varied. And, for the most part, the jobs that these implements are expected to perform, are quite different from knives.

This category consists of mostly axes, hatchets, machetes, and shovels. Every one of them will perform better when properly sharpened. While it is true that sharpening is still sharpening, the methods for keeping this group in tip top shape will require different tools, and the technique will be somewhat different. The cutting edge for a knife is clearly not the same as required by an axe or hatchet.

Sharpening and maintenance techniques for this group are covered in great detail in various articles and videos, all of which are accessible on the internet. Unlike knives, it is not necessary to be an engineer or a metallurgist in order to select the right steel for your machete, axe, shovel, saw, or hatchet. While there may be some options for steel, your selection is very limited.

Sharpening techniques are pretty much all the same for this group. Here are some examples of tools that fall into this category, all of which are of exceptional quality, and all of which should be part of your outdoor gear, or permanently mounted in your vehicle.

COLD STEEL SPECIAL FORCES SHOVEL (https://www.coldsteel.com/special-forces-shovel2.html)
Cold Steel Special Forces Shoivel.jpg
Cold Steel Special Forces Shoivel.jpg (10.53 KiB) Viewed 34 times

ESTWING CAMPERS AX (https://www.estwing.com/collections/axe ... ampers-axe)
Estwing Campers Axe.jpg
Estwing Campers Axe.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 34 times

ESTWING MACHETE (https://www.estwing.com/products/machete)

Estwing Machete.jpg
Estwing Machete.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 34 times

WOOD SPLITTING GRENADE

Wood Splitting Grenade.jpg
Wood Splitting Grenade.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Sharpening techniques generally require 3 tools:

1. Grinder
Grinding, the old fashiones way.jpg
Grinding, the old fashiones way.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Grinder (Small).jpg
Grinder (Small).jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 34 times

2. Mill file (bastard file and finer)
Mill File.jpg
Mill File.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 34 times

3. Sharpening Stone.
Ax Sharpening Dual Grit Stone.jpg
Ax Sharpening Dual Grit Stone.jpg (42.72 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Sharpening techniques are fairly simple, at least compared to knives, and we will reserve the discussion of this for the net. In the event that we don't have the time, here are a few articles that cover the subject quite well.

DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Dave and Tom
Please check me in.
Kevin
KK6DGL

KK6DYO
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Please check me in for the evening.

Not quite the same as a beautiful, sharpenable knife that might last for decades, but Havalon and others make replaceable blade knives. The surgically sharp blade is relatively inexpensive and can be swapped in seconds once it starts to drag.

The Havalon Piranta: 2 3/4" knife blades (12 for $10), bone saws (3 for $13), or gut hooks (3 for $10)
Havalon Piranta.jpeg
Havalon Piranta.jpeg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 33 times

The Havalon Baracuta: 4 3/8" knife blades (5 for $18) or bone saws (3 for $19)
Havalon Baracuta Bone Saw.jpeg
Havalon Baracuta Bone Saw.jpeg (90.19 KiB) Viewed 33 times

I've used the Piranta knife and Baracuta bone saw on deer and pig with very good results. You do need to be careful not to apply too much pressure or the blade can pop out, but the blade is so sharp that pressure is not needed; just let the blade do the cutting. The pig needed a blade swap halfway through.

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Early Check In Request

WD6USA
Jeff
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

KA9WDX
Call Sign: KA9WDX

Post by KA9WDX » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Check in - Thanks - Bernie

k9atk
Call Sign: K9ATK

Post by k9atk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Please check inn