OAUSA Net - December 20, 2019 - Christmas gifts for the outdoor enthusiasts

A preview of future nets
toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

OAUSA Net - December 20, 2019 - Christmas gifts for the outdoor enthusiasts

Post by toms » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:33 am

We plan to open up the net for everyone to make suggestions on gifts for the outdoors.

Use as many posts as you like to suggest gifts for all the outdoor adventurers you know.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: OAUSA Net - December 20, 2019 - Christmas gifts for the outdoor enthusiasts

Post by toms » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:02 am

Wine Breather Carafe

The New Norm Wine Breather Carafe from MENU makes it easy to serve aerated, ready-to-drink wine directly from the original bottle! Simply press the decanter onto the top of an opened bottle of wine, and flip it over so the wine pours into the decanter. You can serve the wine directly from this exquisitely designed carafe, or flip it back over once it's done to pour the aerated wine directly back into the bottle with ease.
Aerates a bottle of wine in less than two minutes.

Wine Breather Carafe In.jpg
Wine Breather Carafe In.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 854 times

Wine Breather Carafe back to bottle.jpg
Wine Breather Carafe back to bottle.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 854 times

The price range is $49 Amazon to $54 at places like Target.

Note - make sure you have the connector fully inserted into the bottle.

Camp Chef Compact Propane fire ring
Very useful for camping when we have fire restrictions in place. The legs fold in and with the carry bag it easily fits in the vehicle. 15” diameter and about 7 inches high in the storage bag. On the low setting you can make a mid-size (2.5 gallons) tank last for 2 nights.
Comes with base and high-pressure burner, 12 pounds of lava rock, and a carry bag. No need to worrying about smoke or having wood. This propane fire ring is reliable and sure to liven up any outing. Tank sold separately. Camp Chef Gas Fire Pits are allowed for use in most fire ban restrictions.
Retail about $104 but discounted in the range of $64.

CampChefCompactFire pit.jpg
CampChefCompactFire pit.jpg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 854 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

JackM-KK6WXQ
Call Sign: KK6WXQ

Post by JackM-KK6WXQ » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:57 pm

A good camp axe can cost quite a bit. Names like Gransfors Bru, Wetterlings (if you can still find those) and others but you don't have to pay over $100 or more for a good little camp axe. This is one I found and I just love this little guy. It is a Marbles Camp axe and it goes for less than $30.
31yCQ6fx4SL.jpg
31yCQ6fx4SL.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Click Here to find it on Amazon

UPDATE: They WERE under $30... I guess the popularity has caused a price increase... Still a pretty good buy but they are now about $40.

KK6DYO
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:02 pm

A "stocking stuffer" for $8, these Ka-Bar Chop Sticks, are perfect as indestructible, easy-to-clean camp utensils.
KabarChopSticks.jpg
KabarChopSticks.jpg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Good Reads - Gifts that Keep on Giving

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 pm

If you're looking for gifts for an outdoors enthusiast that help fill the time between being out of doors, here's a couple of suggestions.

1-California Outdoors
California Outdoors is an official publication of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. The magazine contains great articles about various species in California, and also covers some of the work done by the CADFW and our Game Wardens.
OutdoorCalifornia Cover.jpg
OutdoorCalifornia Cover.jpg (82.2 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Subscriptions are a bargain at $15/year. Get a subscription here: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Publication ... California

2-The Joe Pickett Series of Books by author C.J. Box
"Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett has now been the protagonist in seventeen novels, starting with Open Season in 2001. Over that time, he’s taken on environmental terrorists, rogue federal land managers, animal mutilators, crazed cowboy hitmen, corrupt bureaucrats, homicidal animal rights advocates, and violent dysfunctional families. Joe has matured, lost some of his innocence and naïveté, and committed acts that continue to haunt him. But through it all, he has remained true to himself and his family. And even when he knows that pursuing justice will bring the community, state, and his superiors down on his head, well… he just can’t help it." http://www.cjbox.net/about-joe-pickett/

If you like wild open spaces, if you have an interest in hunting, and if you like seeing the good guys bring down the bad guys, then you'll be interested in reading the series of books about Wyoming Game Warden Joe Pickett, his family, and one of his really interesting friends, Nate. While the character Joe Pickett is the central character and gets himself into all sorts of things and makes you look forward to the the next book, one can't ignore the sub-character named Nate Romanaski who makes one wonder if "bad" can be "good."

The publisher will tell you that the Joe Pickett series can be read in any order; however, I disagree and highly recommend reading the Joe Pickett series in the order published, which is below. I buy the books on Amazon, but you'll find them in all the usual book stores and in the usual formats.

Joe Pickett Novels in Order
1. Open Season (Putnam, July 2001) ISBN 978-0-399-14748-7
2. Savage Run (Putnam, June 2002) ISBN 978-0-399-14887-3
3. Winterkill (Putnam, May 2003) ISBN 978-0-425-19595-6
4. Trophy Hunt (Putnam, June 2004) ISBN 978-0-399-15200-9
5. Out of Range (Putnam, May 2005) ISBN 978-0-399-15291-7
6. In Plain Sight (Putnam, May 2006) ISBN 978-0-399-15360-0
7. Free Fire (Putnam, May 2007) ISBN 978-0-399-15427-0
8. Blood Trail (Putnam, May 2008) ISBN 978-0-399-15488-1
9. Below Zero (Putnam, June 2009) ISBN 978-0-399-15575-8
10. Nowhere to Run (Putnam, April 2010) ISBN 978-0-399-15645-8
11. Cold Wind (Putnam, March 2011) ISBN 978-0-399-15735-6
12. Force of Nature (Putnam, March 2012) ISBN 978-0-399-15826-1
13. Breaking Point (Putnam, March 2013) ISBN 978-0-399-16075-2
14. Stone Cold (Putnam, March 2014) ISBN 978-0-399-16076-9
15. Endangered (Putnam, March 2015) ISBN 978-0-399-16077-6
16. Off the Grid (Putnam, March 2016) ISBN 978-0-399-17660-9
17. Vicious Circle (Putnam, March 2017) ISBN 978-0-399-17661-6
18. The Disappeared (Putnam, March 2018) ISBN 978-0-399-17662-3
19. Wolf Pack (Putnam, March 2019) ISBN 978-0-525-53819-6
CJ Box Book Out of Range.jpg
CJ Box Book Out of Range.jpg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 836 times

3-The Wild Muir: Twenty-Two of John Muir's Greatest Adventures
The Wild Muir.png
The Wild Muir.png (170.93 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Imagine hiking up to Yosemite Falls in the winter and working your way behind the fall's veil, and then looking out through the falling water at the stars and the moon. What a beautiful sight that would be. But then imagine, the wind comes up and pushes that falling mist of water back into the cavern behind the falls where you're hanging out and getting you all wet...in the winter...when it is below freezing out! And remember, you're wearing winter gear from the early 1900s and not the tech gear available today.

John Muir's account of this adventure is included in this book of short (but true) stories. Yeah...the guy with the beard did a lot of outdoors stuff, and lived to tell us about it. Imagine climbing a tree in the middle of a wind storm, or hiking across an Alaskan Glacier. These stories and more, told in John Muir's own words, are included in this book.

This book is a great read anywhere you find yourself, but it is particularly good to read while out camping.
Get it for under $7 at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Muir-Twenty ... 1930238371
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:49 pm

CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE FOR THE OUTDOORSMAN

1. MARK BROWN CUSTOM AR-15 BOLT CARRIER CARBON SCRAPER

For all the AR shooters out there, you know that cleaning your firearm involves some easy tasks as well as some that are not so easy. With all the combustion gas swirling around the inside of the gun making things work, it is inevitable that carbon buildup will happen. Cleaning off this build-up on exposed surfaces, where there is easy access, is quick and simple. Getting rid of it on the inside of the bolt carrier, however, is a real PITA!

Sufficient carbon build-up can affect function and reliability, neither of which are acceptable for a hunting or self defense rifle. Mark Brown Custom makes a tool that greatly reduces the time necessary to clean this important part of your rifle. It is not a metal cutter, but rather a tool made to break up excess carbon build-up inside the bolt carrier.

The part is available through Brownells at https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... N%2bCUSTOM. Brownells has also produced a video which shows how easy it is to use the scraper, see: https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ar-15 ... ?lid=10349.

Keep in mind that the scraper is not meant to remove every last speck of carbon, but it will certainly make the job a lot easier, and anything that makes cleaning easier, is always welcome!!!

Brown AR-15 Carbon Scraper-1.jpg
Brown AR-15 Carbon Scraper-1.jpg (174.35 KiB) Viewed 832 times
Brown AR-15 Carbon Scraper-2.jpg
Brown AR-15 Carbon Scraper-2.jpg (805.61 KiB) Viewed 832 times

2. AMERICAN COFFEE PRESS / FRENCH PRESS COFFEE MAKERS

One of the areas in which we have seen some very interesting growth recently, is the availability of really high quality coffee, right in camp. There are two undisputed scents which every camping trip should have, and one of them is surely coffee (the other, of course, is bacon.)

For countless decades, camp coffee was the product of an earlier style of preparation (percolators and cowboy style coffee.) Before anyone jumps up and takes issue with this description, be assured that it was not meant as a criticism or a negative. As with so many things in life, someone is always inventing a new and better way to do something. Remember flip phones???

In many ways, there is a parallel between those who appreciate a good glass of wine and those who enjoy a good cup of joe. One cannot deny the ever increasing popularity of coffee houses, which seems to have spurred an impressive variety of coffee brewing methods. For us, there is no reason why we cannot enjoy these benefits right in camp, and we have been doing just that.

Two styles of coffee preparation have recently made their way into our camps - the American Press and the French Press. Both are compact and both easily fit into our camp cook boxes. There are some similarities between the two, but also some significant differences. Each, however, produces an excellent cup of coffee.

American Press

Available from Black Rifle Coffee Company (https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collec ... ican-press.) See the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXayRtzXv4. This is what they say:
Our American Press is similar to a French Press but without the mess (you're welcome, France). The unique design of the American Press features a reusable pod that keeps coffee grounds contained, providing easier cleanup and a smooth, complex cup of joe.

Using an ultra-fine stainless-steel filter, the sleek, 12-ounce design brews up to 14 ounces of coffee or tea and is constructed from shatter-resistant, double-walled Tritan for use in even the most extreme environments.
This item is dishwasher safe and BPA free.
Black Rifle American Press.jpg
Black Rifle American Press.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Stainless Steel French Press

Also available from Black Rifle Coffee Company, https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collec ... desk-press. Video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYwlDY2Sbrw. This is what they say:

Black Rifle Coffee Company went out and found the best French press on the market, and now we've brought it to you. The Espro Press boasts a patented double micro-filter, 9-12 times finer than the average French press filter, and it is double-wall vacuum insulated. This press has 18 oz. (530 ml) of volume, but it can hold up to 24 oz.
Black Rifle French Press.jpg
Black Rifle French Press.jpg (20.62 KiB) Viewed 820 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Hmfigueroa
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Advanced HT

Post by Hmfigueroa » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Hello all,

On the Ham Radio side, there has been a good price adjustment on a popular radio that is at a quite more palatable price point.

The Yaesu FT-2DR is a very nice advanced Amateur Radio Handheld that offers nice APRS connectivity and is a nice entry point for digital FM operations.

While digital FM is not quite ready for true off-road use due to sparse support from repeaters on the air. The APRS and analog FM operation are awesome!

The FT-2DR is a very nice water resistant radio with built-in GPS functionality. It is easy to program from the touch display screen.
hro.PNG
FT-
FT-2DR
hro.PNG (68.85 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Hector Figueroa
Toyota FJC
Kenwood TS-480HX SCS DR-7800 Tarheel 2
Yaesu FTM-400XDR

KA9WDX
Call Sign: KA9WDX

Post by KA9WDX » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Check-In please - Thanks - Bernie

I don't know anything about this product, other than watching the TV commercial and looking at the website on-line, and I haven't purchased it, so I can't really comment on it, also I haven't had the chance to try it out, and I don't normally buy anything that I see advertised on TV, but I'm tempted to purchase this product and try it out. I'm curious to find out whether anyone else out there has tried it or not, and how well does it work? What I mean is, how long does the light last on average, how long does the flashlight work until it's ready for recycling or the trash can so to speak, shelf life in other words, although the ad says 25 years, so I probably won't be living that long, as I'd be 85 years old by then, but if it works well, it seems to me, that it would probably be a good product for outdoor use at night...or for camping...

I see what they claim in the ad(s), how many hours of light you should get, and/or how long the fuel cell should last, how long the flashlight is supposed to function, etc.

Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.17.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.17.43 PM.png (705.21 KiB) Viewed 794 times
https://www.hydralight.com/

The following were just viewed on-line, while I was doing a search for things on-line, and can't really comment on it too much.

Portable water purifier:
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.31.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.31.02 PM.png (270.08 KiB) Viewed 789 times
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... 3447645011

Camping food:

Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.37.22 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.37.22 PM.png (451.06 KiB) Viewed 789 times
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.us/c/campin ... /food.html

Well, flashlight at night, maybe this would come in handy during the daytime...My best friend actually had one for years already, or one like it, as his looked similar, but not the same, as his had a clip to hold things, instead of what looks like a coil...but of course you need good Sunlight for it to work:

Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.45.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 8.45.53 PM.png (517.24 KiB) Viewed 785 times
https://trailheadtactical.com/products/ ... for-hiking

Pocket Blanket:

https://www.amazon.com/Matador-Blanket- ... et+blanket

Portable hooded blanket:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrafun-Portabl ... 9851&psc=1

Sorry, I just can't get the last two URL's, and/or photos, to lineup, or be entered in the right spot, as I do have them next to each other, the photos next to the URL's, even deleting them and starting over, or underneath each other, but they just don't want line up like the way that i have the first four products...Oh well.

73 and Merry Christmas...Bernie
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 9.12.44 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 9.12.44 PM.png (404.06 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 9.03.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 9.03.53 PM.png (431.41 KiB) Viewed 751 times
Last edited by KA9WDX on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 17 times in total.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Victorinox Cheese Knife -

Perfect for OAUSA and other evening happy hours. Has a bread knife blade, cheese blade, corkscrew, tweezers, and toothpick -

VSSL Flask -

A flashlight and flask for your favorite survival beverage. Includes 2 collapsible shot glasses, bottle opener and a compass. Also available in cache, first aid, and survival editions -

Nemo Stargaze Recliner Luxury Chair -

This is a great chair for lounging around the campfire or reclining back to gaze at the evening stars or to take a snooze -

Yaesu FT-991A All Mode HAM Radio -

This seemed to be the field radio of choice for many of the operators at the OAUSA Summerfest/Field Day event in 2018 -

Pinzgauer 710M -

I always have to make a plug for my favorite exotic 4x4 (and 6x6) off road vehicle :D . Prices are rising so now is the time to fulfill your dreams of owning the most capable factory air cooled 4x4 made -

Dreamcase Bed in a Box for Tesla Model S -

Hint, Hint, to anyone out there looking to get me a last minute Christmas present (you know who you are) :D . I could use one of these -

Just activate the new fireplace easteregg app and it will be just like sleeping next to a camp fire (sort of, but without the heat and smoke)
(We'll leave "emissions testing mode" for another time (I think Elon took one to many tokes on his doobie when he authorized that one :lol: ))

Last edited by NotAMog on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:56 pm

A Multitool suitable for my excursions is a welcome gift.
I probably have 10-12 multitools I keep I various places.

This SOG model is called the Poweraccess. I purchased as a gift for myself. I always seem to need a screwdriver and this model comes with many tips that can be held on the end. I added the long Phillips bit for extra reach. Another nice thing about this set is that you can substitute or modify a tip to suit your needs. A pin punch and an awl can easily be added or made to remove a slide pin or add another hole to your belt after an OAUSA Dutch Oven Cook Off.

There are many brands and models that cater to specific needs from climbing, boating , hunting or rescue work.
Attachments
0306A505-4F4F-4FD4-A560-BD9357E816BF.jpeg
SOG Poweraccess w/hexbit kit from Costco
0306A505-4F4F-4FD4-A560-BD9357E816BF.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 795 times

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”