OAUSA Net - December 20, 2019 - Christmas gifts for the outdoor enthusiasts

A preview of future nets
kE6PLA
Call Sign: KE6PLA

Re: OAUSA Net - December 20, 2019 - Christmas gifts for the outdoor enthusiasts

Post by kE6PLA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:44 pm

It sounds like you guys have a lot of fun during the net, how about having some live audience!

KA9WDX
Call Sign: KA9WDX

Post by KA9WDX » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 pm

I tried using chopsticks, at first it was difficult, but the more I used them, the better I got, but to me it would seem that it would take me an hour just to eat a meal using chop sticks...LOL...:D...I wonder how you eat soup, or anything liquid, using chop sticks? Do you eat the solids first, like the chicken, rice, etc, then pick the bowl up with your hands and drink the broth, or pour it in a glass or cup and drink it that way?
KK6DYO wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:02 pm
A "stocking stuffer" for $8, these Ka-Bar Chop Sticks, are perfect as indestructible, easy-to-clean camp utensils.

KabarChopSticks.jpg

KA9WDX
Call Sign: KA9WDX

Post by KA9WDX » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:48 pm

I only started to drink coffee, back in the early 70's, because back then it was the cheapest drink in the restaurant, only 25 cents per cup, and you received free refills, also, coffee, to me, is bitter, and I can't drink it Black, I need a little cream, half and half, milk, French Vanilla Creamer, or something in it, plus a little sugar, but once they came out with Nutrasweet, and those sugar substitutes that are in Blue packets, I started using a little of that, but the coffee tasted pretty good to me with those added to it. However, as far as Starbucks goes, I tasted the Hot coffee of theirs, and it tasted awful to me, even loaded down with a lot of creamer and sugar in it, it still tasted like the worst coffee I've ever had...it was too scalding hot, and just tasted awful to me, even worse than McDonald's coffee LOL...although McDonald's stated that they had changed their coffee, so I'll have to try it someday.
DaveK wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:49 pm
CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE FOR THE OUTDOORSMAN

1. MARK BROWN CUSTOM AR-15 BOLT CARRIER CARBON SCRAPER

For all the AR shooters out there, you know that cleaning your firearm involves some easy tasks as well as some that are not so easy. With all the combustion gas swirling around the inside of the gun making things work, it is inevitable that carbon buildup will happen. Cleaning off this build-up on exposed surfaces, where there is easy access, is quick and simple. Getting rid of it on the inside of the bolt carrier, however, is a real PITA!

Sufficient carbon build-up can affect function and reliability, neither of which are acceptable for a hunting or self defense rifle. Mark Brown Custom makes a tool that greatly reduces the time necessary to clean this important part of your rifle. It is not a metal cutter, but rather a tool made to break up excess carbon build-up inside the bolt carrier.

The part is available through Brownells at https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... N%2bCUSTOM. Brownells has also produced a video which shows how easy it is to use the scraper, see: https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ar-15 ... ?lid=10349.

Keep in mind that the scraper is not meant to remove every last speck of carbon, but it will certainly make the job a lot easier, and anything that makes cleaning easier, is always welcome!!!

Brown AR-15 Carbon Scraper-1.jpgBrown AR-15 Carbon Scraper-2.jpg

2. AMERICAN COFFEE PRESS / FRENCH PRESS COFFEE MAKERS

One of the areas in which we have seen some very interesting growth recently, is the availability of really high quality coffee, right in camp. There are two undisputed scents which every camping trip should have, and one of them is surely coffee (the other, of course, is bacon.)

For countless decades, camp coffee was the product of an earlier style of preparation (percolators and cowboy style coffee.) Before anyone jumps up and takes issue with this description, be assured that it was not meant as a criticism or a negative. As with so many things in life, someone is always inventing a new and better way to do something. Remember flip phones???

In many ways, there is a parallel between those who appreciate a good glass of wine and those who enjoy a good cup of joe. One cannot deny the ever increasing popularity of coffee houses, which seems to have spurred an impressive variety of coffee brewing methods. For us, there is no reason why we cannot enjoy these benefits right in camp, and we have been doing just that.

Two styles of coffee preparation have recently made their way into our camps - the American Press and the French Press. Both are compact and both easily fit into our camp cook boxes. There are some similarities between the two, but also some significant differences. Each, however, produces an excellent cup of coffee.

American Press

Available from Black Rifle Coffee Company (https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collec ... ican-press.) See the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXayRtzXv4. This is what they say:
Our American Press is similar to a French Press but without the mess (you're welcome, France). The unique design of the American Press features a reusable pod that keeps coffee grounds contained, providing easier cleanup and a smooth, complex cup of joe.

Using an ultra-fine stainless-steel filter, the sleek, 12-ounce design brews up to 14 ounces of coffee or tea and is constructed from shatter-resistant, double-walled Tritan for use in even the most extreme environments.
This item is dishwasher safe and BPA free.

Black Rifle American Press.jpg

Stainless Steel French Press

Also available from Black Rifle Coffee Company, https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collec ... desk-press. Video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYwlDY2Sbrw. This is what they say:

Black Rifle Coffee Company went out and found the best French press on the market, and now we've brought it to you. The Espro Press boasts a patented double micro-filter, 9-12 times finer than the average French press filter, and it is double-wall vacuum insulated. This press has 18 oz. (530 ml) of volume, but it can hold up to 24 oz.

Black Rifle French Press.jpg

KK6DYO
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:57 am

Bernie,

The link below describes the process of eating noodles (ramen) with chopsticks including drinking the soup/broth. (Note that ramen soup is sometimes primarily to flavor the noodles and might best be avoided as it can be very high in salt and fat.) The process would be similar for other soups / foods that are substantially liquid and come in a bowl, like hot and sour soup or egg flower soup, which are intended to be fully consumed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ivan-or ... hop-2014-4

You will usually be provided with a spoon such as pictured below that can also be used.
23EE01E8-A3C9-4964-887A-6F8F52F739B7.png
23EE01E8-A3C9-4964-887A-6F8F52F739B7.png (111.38 KiB) Viewed 534 times

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”