OAUSA Net - December 19, 2019 – Christmas Gifts for the Outdoor Enthusiasts

A preview of future nets
toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

OAUSA Net - December 19, 2019 – Christmas Gifts for the Outdoor Enthusiasts

Post by toms » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 am

We plan to open up the net for everyone to make suggestions on gifts for the outdoors.
Maybe you will hear one or 2 ideas that will fit perfectly for a gift for someone you know. Maybe that is you!
We would like everyone to post up suggestions in this preview.

Here is a list of topics to help get your ideas flowing.
1. Ham Radio
2. 4-Wheeling
3. Dutch Oven cooking
4. Navigation (map, compass, GPS)
5. Outdoor medicine
6. First Aid kits, wilderness medicine, first aid courses
7. Camping (tents, sleeping bags)
8. Photography
9. Recovery gear
10. Firearms, shooting, hand loading
11. Survival gear
12. Computers stuff
13. Tires
14. Wine
15. Coffee
16. Books & maps
17. Other communication ( sat phone, cell PLB, spot)
18. Solar, wind, batteries
19. Fire extinguishers
20. Vehicle repair & maintenance
21. Edged Implements
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: OAUSA Net - December 19, 2019 – Christmas Gifts for the Outdoor Enthusiasts

Post by toms » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:24 am

Coffee Box

This is inspired by a ham operator (can’t remember the call sign) who joined in our coffee net two season ago. He described how his morning coffee clutch met on a park bench by the LA river. Everyone walked or biked. Each person opened their individual kit and brewed a cup of coffee before dispersing for the work day. The kit included everything needed – fuel, water, coffee, etc. Each kit is as unique as the person who made it. This not a like a fruit basket or box of meat & jams you buy from someone. It takes a dedicated effort and should be appreciated.

Make a coffee “box” for someone (if someone is worth this much effort) to take with them. With this small box they can have coffeestuck in a snow storm, late at night on the side of the road when fatigue is impenitent, while waiting for the crew to show up in the morning at the meeting point,etc. Pack this all in a small durable box so they can take it everywhere. Total cost of this project without the box is about $165 (without the box) .

rubi-300x300.jpg
rubi-300x300.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 499 times
wrangler-300x300.jpg
wrangler-300x300.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Rubicon Coffee $12 (https://expeditionjoecoffee.com/shop/)
They have Wrangler coffee and several others. Order the French Press grind. You only need about a 1/4 bag of coffee for the travel box but it is
a bit tacky to give some one a used bag of Rubicon coffee.

kuksa-12-oz-3.jpg
kuksa-12-oz-3.jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Kuksa wooden cup $32 (optional but so cool)
Carved out of solid wood and “seasoned” so don’t wash with soap!

French Press.jpg
French Press.jpg (15.98 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Espro Travel Coffee Press, Stainless Steel, 12 oz P7 press $34.99 (bedbathandbeyond.com)
This is commuter press. Once pressed you can drink out of the press on the way to work. Truth is it is way too hot and best to pour it into your coffee cup.

Light My Fire.jpg
Light My Fire.jpg (56.06 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Light My Fire Swedish Firesteel $11.99 ( https://lightmyfire.com/ )
This might not be need if the MSR Pocket rocket is the more expensive one with the built-in igniter.

MSR Pocket Rocket.jpg
MSR Pocket Rocket.jpg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 499 times
MSR Pocket Rocket 2 $44.95 (Amazon)

MSR ISOPRO s.jpg
MSR ISOPRO s.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 437 times
MSR ISOPRO fuel – the small 113g size $5.95
Buy the red fuel bottle - I like red.

Stanley 20 oz cook set s.jpeg
Stanley 20 oz cook set s.jpeg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Stanley 20 oz cook set $14.95 (Ace hardware)
There are two plastic cups inside the cook set. This is an area you might reduce size by sourcing a different pot to boil water. Perhaps the pot can double as a cup. You might even what to "snob it up" and source a stainless steel insulated cup to match the rest of the gear. But the wood cup has just as much snob appeal. Perhaps the stove or the ISOPRO will store in the pot.

Chef Coffee Measure.jpeg
Chef Coffee Measure.jpeg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Chef Craft Stainless Steel Coffee measuring spoon $5.48 (Walmart)

This list will get you started. As you acquire items you may find a substitute to reduce the overall size of the contents.
Any suggestions to make this more compact?
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Re: OAUSA Amateur Radio Net Schedule

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Reading Materials Make Great Gifts for People that Enjoy the Outdoors

The Wild Muir: Twenty-Two of John Muir's Greatest Adventures
The Wild Muir - 22 Short Stories.jpg
The Wild Muir - 22 Short Stories.jpg (63.51 KiB) Viewed 453 times
https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Muir-Twenty ... 1930238371

This is a great collection of 22 of John Muir's short stories. Read John's first-hand accounts of some pretty harrowing outdoor experiences! A few of John's stories make great campfire reading to the kids. All stories are G rated, and that means both Great and Good for kids too of all ages.

The Collected Short Stories Of Jack London
Collected Short Stories of Jack London.jpg
Collected Short Stories of Jack London.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 453 times
https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Short- ... 195&sr=1-3

Just thinking about Jack London's "To Build a Fire" makes me cold. Jack London's works provide outstanding reading next to the campfire or while enjoying a mountain vista. PG rated due to stories of peril.

16 Book Set of Joe Pickett by C.J. Box (1-15 in Series) also Includes (Shots Fired: Stories from Joe Pickett Country)
CJ Box Joe Pickett Series.jpg
CJ Box Joe Pickett Series.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 453 times
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=joe+pickett+ ... _sb_noss_2

C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series is up to 19 books, but this set will get you going with the first 16 books. I highly recommend you read the Joe Pickett series in order due to the extensive development of various characters over time. I'd go with a PG-13 or M rating on these due to stories of peril and crimes against people and animals. Not for ready by City Slickers or guys that wear skinny jeans.

Who is Joe Pickett? Well Joe Pickett is a Wyoming Game Warden that has a knack for getting invovled in all sorts of things, from crimes against game to conspiracies to murder. All the Joe Pickett books are set agains the backdrop of amazing outdoor places that will leave you longing to get out of the house or office and get into the backcountry.
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

ag6if

Post by ag6if » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:46 pm

This year, I'm diggin' little keychain lights and have grown particularly fond of this Olight I1R
About $13, super small and 2 brightness levels. Rechargable, free charge cable if you ask.
73 AG6IF
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-12-17 16-44-53.png
Screenshot at 2019-12-17 16-44-53.png (219.56 KiB) Viewed 473 times

ag6if

Post by ag6if » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 pm

Also on my list is a 13E olight.
i have one of these also, runs on aaa battery and super bright for it's size.
About $10 but I got one free by signing up with Olight newsletter.
73 Jim AG6IF
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-12-17 22-09-23.png
Screenshot at 2019-12-17 22-09-23.png (208.04 KiB) Viewed 468 times

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Here are my suggestions -

Kermit Chair -

Kermit Chairs are a nice luxury camping chair made in the USA. They break down into a very small package for transport and yet are very sturdy and versital.

Chair - $189
Extension Legs - $40

This may seem expensive for a camping chair but these will literally last for decades with a little care and an occasional screw tightening. I have some that I've been using for over 10 years and they are still going strong.

https://www.kermitchair.com/

Nemo Stargaze Chair -

This is great chair for lounging around the campfire and it reclines for comfortable viewing of the night sky or just napping.

Nemo Stargaze Chair - $219.95

Same with this chair. Its made from high quality materials and will likely last a very long time. With camping chairs as with many other things, you get what you pay for. A few truly useful luxury items can make a camping trip much more enjoyable. It's no fun when your $15 Walmart chair collapses half way through your camping trip and you have to do without.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/stargaze-luxury/

Camp Maid Dutch Oven Accessories -

This is a versatile collection of dutch oven accessories with a folding charcoal chimney, dutch oven stand, adjustable charcoal tray, grill / steamer insert, a unique lid lifter that doubles as a lid stand, of a pair of heavy leather gloves. One of the cool functions it has is that it enables you to cook on the underside of the dutch oven lid like a small wok or scottle. It also works well as a pizza oven with the dutch oven pot inverted over the lid with charcoals on the top (bottom?).

All Tool Kit - $119.99 (items also available separately or in various other kits)

https://www.campmaid.com/collections/al ... -tools-kit

Riedel Byo Bag -

This is a must for bringing your impossibly delicate stemware on your off road or overland trip. This padded case holds 4 red wine glasses. Not cheap but neither are the glasses that go in it. Just watch out for wind, rocks, and errant arms and legs when your glassware out of this protective case. It's better than drinking you wine out of a Dixie cup or worse yet, stainless steel (yuck).

Riedel Byo Bag - $99.00

https://www.riedel.com/en-us/shop/acces ... -500000000

Pinzgauer 710M -

Sorry, I always have to get my Pinzgauer plug in somewhere :D
Hydraulically actuated 4 wheel drive, front and rear lockers, portal axles (who doesn't want portal axles?), 14" of ground clearance, gun rack, seats 10 (the ultimate off road party wagon (unless you get a 712M 6x6 that seats 14!))

Pinzgauer 710M - $16,000

https://expedition-imports.com/04192016D
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

KN6FPS
Call Sign: KN6FPS

Post by KN6FPS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:52 pm

I will not be available on the net to discuss this.
For those that enjoy tent camping, and have old creaky bones like me, a cot is the way to go. It's great for getting you off the rocks.
The Helinox Cot One and Cot Lite are great additions to the campsite. They are lightweight and pack small.
The COT ONE CONVERTIBLE offers comfort and flexibility with maximum tension (no sagging!) to keep you off the ground for a comfortable night’s sleep. The optional separate leg extension accessory creates a true bed-like experience.
Packing down to (5.4 lbs) and rolling into a tight cylinder (6.5” wide & 21.5” long) for an elevated bed that sits (6.5” off the ground) and assembles to (27” wide x 75” long) $300, extension legs $90
The COT LITE Packs down to (2 lbs 13 ozs) and rolls into a tight cylinder (5” wide & 21” long) for an elevated bed that sits (5” off the ground) and assembles to (23.5” wide x 73” long) $250
It's suggested that you assemble it a couple of times, and let it stay put together for a few days, to stretch it out a bit and make it easier to set up.
Helinox also make some great camping chairs and tables.
They all are a bit pricey, but very well made and reviewed.
https://helinox.com/products/cot-one-co ... 01dd&_ss=r
https://helinox.com/products/lite-cot?_ ... 0692&_ss=r
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Front_Low_800x800.jpg
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Front_Low_800x800.jpg (18.35 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Right_Low_800x800.jpg
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Right_Low_800x800.jpg (12.24 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Perspective_Low_800x800.jpg
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Perspective_Low_800x800.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Case_Low_800x800.jpg
Cot_One_Convertible_Black_Case_Low_800x800.jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 445 times
DavidH
KN6FPS

k9atk
Call Sign: K9ATK

Post by k9atk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Please check in
K9atk brian
K9fog trish
Kd0exi cheyenne
Kd0gpe austin

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm

GREAT GIFT IDEAS

1. COFFEE

Just about every camping trip starts off the morning with America's favorite beverage - COFFEE. There are lots to choose from, but be careful where you buy, because the last thing you want is for your favorite Coffee Company to be financing and supporting causes to which you are opposed. Sometimes it's hard to know where some stand (politically, that is), but there are clearly some whose politics are well known.

So, I offer a coffee company who leave little doubt where they stand. BLACK RIFLE COFFEE COMPANY. This is printed on the side of every bag of coffee they sell:
A portion of profits go to Veteran, LEO, and gun rights organizations
Their "Mission":
Black Rifle Coffee Company serves coffee and culture to the people who love America.
Chances are pretty good that no other coffee company can offer that, AND who also make great coffee.

BRC.png
BRC.png (132.94 KiB) Viewed 424 times

2. POWER

For some time now we have been experiencing some impressive improvements in stored power from batteries. Along with the LED revolution, new types of batteries have really changed the way we light up our camps. One standout example is the 18650 Li ion battery.

For some different reasons, these batteries seem to be on the leading edge of the technology revolution, and better performing batteries are coming out all the time. Not only is the storage capacity (energy density) continually increasing, but the means to recharge them has seen some very nice improvements, as well.

Here are some examples: A 3,60mAh Panasonic (or Orbtronic) 18650 battery, and a Streamlight 18650 battery that can be charged with a standard USB port. With great (and ever improving) capacity and the ease of recharging, battery options have never been better.

Orbtronic 360mAh 18650.jpg
Orbtronic 360mAh 18650.jpg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Streamlight 18650 Battery - built in charing port.jpg
Streamlight 18650 Battery - built in charing port.jpg (797.31 KiB) Viewed 420 times

3. CUTTING EDGE BULLETS - https://cuttingedgebullets.com/

For all you handloaders out there, CE's bullets are as precise as computer guided CNC machines can produce. Their product line is entirely copper and suitable for both long range target shooting, competition, and hunting. They are packaged individually to protect each bullet. To look at them, brings to mind a work of art. If one has an objective of consistency, Cutting Edge bullets is at the top of the heap (along with a few others.) Incidentally, their line of bullets should be of interest to those who are now required to use non lead ammunition, (and they are certified by the State of California. )

Cutting Edge Bullets.jpg
Cutting Edge Bullets.jpg (775.71 KiB) Viewed 419 times

4. CUISINART PRESSURE COOKER

I had to replace my very used Fagor Pressure cooker about a year ago and was disappointed to find that the company was out of business. So, the search began, and ended quickly thereafter with Cuisinart. While it's never a guarantee, it was comforting to know that the company has been around for a long time. I've had it for a little over a year and the results are favorable;
  • well made
  • heavy duty
  • easy to use
  • lifetime warranty
  • cooks much faster and with much less energy
  • GREAT for camping
The 6 quart Cuisinart, see: https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appl ... rs/cpc22-6

Cuisinart Pressure Cooker.jpg
Cuisinart Pressure Cooker.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 416 times

5. CORAVIN

When you spend your hard earned money on a very good bottle of wine, but are not able to finish off the entire bottle, preserving it for another day always carries the certain risk that it will not be as good, or in most cases, even close.

Over the years there have been a few different approaches to preserving the quality and taste of a just opened bottle, but they were prohibitively expensive or just didn't work. As long as air (or more precisely, oxygen) is introduced into the bottle, the flavor will start to change. Wine Vacs are a good approach to this problem, but, at best, they prolong the flavor for a day, and even then, it still suffers.

A perfect solution now comes from Coravin, https://www.coravin.com/wine-systems.html. Their wine preservation openers offer a unique means to avoid the effects of oxygen on your expensive bottle of wine, thus keeping it available for enjoyment long after the Initial opening of the bottle.

The Coravin system is not for everyone. It is a little pricey, but if you are investing your hard earned dollars in good wine, it will enhance the enjoyment of your purchases.

From the Coravin website:

Coravin.png
Coravin.png (220.45 KiB) Viewed 415 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Diesel4x
Call Sign: KF6KOC

Post by Diesel4x » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Merry Christmas !! thanks for early check in, KF6KOC Randy.

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”