John KM6FXI
Kevin KK6DGL
Thank you

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Be Prepared

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:26 pm

"Be Prepared"

“Prepared for what?” “Why, for any old thing,” he replied.

In 1907, Baden-Powell, an English soldier, devised the Scout motto: Be Prepared. He published it in Scouting for Boys in 1908. (Two years later, in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was founded.)

In Scouting for Boys, Baden-Powell wrote that to Be Prepared means “you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your duty.”

Notice how the initials for Be Prepared and Baden-Powell are the same? That’s no coincidence; it’s just the way Baden-Powell planned it.

In the late 1900s, Baden-Powell wanted young people equipped to react quickly to an emergency.

110 years later, the Motto of Be Prepared holds true and is an important concept in life not only for Scouts, but everyone.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/ ... to-origin/

The Boy Scout "Be Prepared" approach is a great starting point, but for me, I have refined my Be Prepared philosophy to meet my current personal needs and today's society. Here's a few of my thoughts.

1. Camping Gear = Preparedness Gear
Pretty much any gear that you have for camping can also serve as preparedness gear. Things like tents, stoves, water purifiers, first aid kits, axes, shovels, fire starting gear, flashlights, lanterns, dried food, maps, compass, signaling equipment, field sanitation equipment, boots, clothing, rain gear, Ham Radios, water carboys, gas cans, and more can serve a dual role for both camping and being prepared for a variety of situations.

Every camping trip you take gives you the opportunity to practice with your gear and to make sure it gets refreshed and ready for the next camping trip or use during a preparedness event.

2. Bad Guys Don't Prepare
The harsh reality of life is that there are bad people out there. There always has been and always will be. A major and long-duration situation where Being Prepared is needed may turn otherwise good people that failed to Be Prepared into bad people. We can't prevent bad people or unprepared good people from becoming bad people. But, we can Be Prepared to deal with these people. Failing to be ready to deal with bad people is the same as being unprepared. When things start to fall apart, bad people will quickly figure out who is prepared and those bad people will want to "share" in your Being Prepared efforts, whether you invite them too share or they just invite themselves. In fact, government officials may come to share in your Preparedness supplies...I know some say this is the USA and it will never happen, but it has happened in the past and continues to happen through property condemnations presumably to further the needs of the public. Could your supply of fuel or water be declared needed for the larger public good?

Being Prepared means being able to secure your supplies from theft or confiscation. This could mean locking them up, hiding them, being ready to move them to another place if discovered, or throwing a tarp over them and sleeping on top of them. In some cases, the bad people mentioned above may attempt to take your Preparedness items by force, and therefore your plans to Be Prepared need to address protection of your family and self from those that will stop at nothing to take them from you. The key is to think these horrible to think about situations through now and to figure out how you will protect yourself and your family if and when bad people come to take your Preparedness items with their intentions to get your stuff using any method necessary.

3. There is No Perfect Plan
Don't fail to Be Prepared because you are looking for the perfect list or plan of action. The absolute worst thing is to not Be Prepared at all.

If you are totally new to the Be Prepared concept, start by walking around your home and look at everyday things and ask yourself the question, "How would it be to not have ___________________ available for a day, a week, a month, or more?" Based on the answer, you will know if that item should be part of your Be Prepared plan.
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Re: OAUSA Net - March 12, 2020 - Urban Survival - The Corona

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Please check me in.

WD6USA
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

Ionyx
Call Sign: KN6BOZ

Re: OAUSA Net - March 12, 2020 - Urban Survival - The Corona

Post by Ionyx » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:40 pm

Please check me in.

Pablo
KN6BOZ
(Via echolink)

k9atk
Call Sign: K9ATK