Getting the lead out!

socal_rubi

Getting the lead out!

Post by socal_rubi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:48 pm

It seems like no matter how long I spend cleaning my shotgun it never gets completely clean. I clean it right after I finish shooting it, allways the same day.

This is my routine for cleaning...
Wet patch
Brush, 4-6 passes
Wet patch
Dry patches till it comes out clean
Repeat

But every time I run the brush, the very next wet patch is black. I can run a few dry patches and after about 3-4 they come out clean. Then I run another wet patch and the brush. The very next patch after the brush is black.

I have done this same routine for hours on end. The patches do seem to come out less dirty after a while, but damn, it seems like I could do this all day and it will never be completely clean.

The shotgun is brand new, maximum of 1500 shells through it so far. I shoot about 100-300 in a session. My guess is this is lead build-up. I have tried several different brands of cleaners, I even used a foaming bore cleaner and let the foam soak over night and still it never seems to clean completely.

Any suggestions???
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Re: Getting the lead out!

Post by xtatik » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:31 pm

I don't even bother with conventional cleaning methods on my shotguns. Try a "bore snake". They're buggers to use the first few times, but after a while they'll stretch and conform to the bore. I lightly saturate one with a cleaner/solvent and another with an oil. They each get pulled through the bore twice. They both (for each bore size) get stored in zip-loks.
BTW, chances are it isn't lead that's giving you the residue problems....Just by-products of incomplete combustion.....carbon. I've seen some cheaper guns (usually production guns) with poorly formed forcing cones (usually too short) that will pinch a wad to the point that pellets will lead the wad out of the barrel. Not good.

Edit: Look what I found........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD6Xg4g-v6o

I disagree with the comments regarding it not being a replacement for a cleaning rod. If you occasionally drop them into the washing machine to clean them, they always outperform the kits. But, Hoppe's is in the business of selling kits, and I would imagine they want to continue to do so.
Randy
K6ARW

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:07 pm

I have a bore snake. I use it right after I finish shooting, while the bore is still hot. I make three or four passes with it. I use it dry though. Although I have to admit that using the bore snake is better than using nothing at all, I find it hard to believe that it completely replaces traditional cleaning practices, considering the fact that there is still a heavy amount of residue in my bore when I clean it later. It's also very possible that I am being way too anal about getting every last bit of residue out of the barrel. I watched the video you linked, and then a few more as well. I have to agree with your conclusion that it is carbon, and not lead, that I'm dealing with. Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try the bore snake wet the next time, and see if that makes a difference when I clean it later at home.
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

xtatik
Call Sign: K6ARW

Post by xtatik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:15 am

You're right, just as dragging dry patches though the bore are ineffective....the same goes for the bore snake. Used dry, I'd expect either to leave gobs of junk in the bore. But, running them dry....I'd still prefer the bore snake.
Again, I'd get two for each bore size...one for solvent, one for oil. Start with the solvent and drag it through one time to soak the bore, then let it sit for a few minutes so the solvent can cut....then repeat as needed. After that, follow up with two passes with the other oiled snake. You should see bright chrome and clean (oiled) patches after that.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”