Calico?

SpringFest planning section.
Frogeye
Call Sign: KI6LHP

Re: Calico?

Post by Frogeye » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:50 am

Yay Calico. I'd like to volunteer for in the field radio coms again.
Chris

snowby4

Post by snowby4 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:05 pm

I've never been to Calico. It sounds great. I know also that monanche Meadows would be AWSOME in the spring. I've been through most of those meadows up there (Kennedy) on a XR 400 in April and in a word, Magnifico!!! :mrgreen:
If you don't know where your going, any road will get you there.

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Do we really want Calico for Spring Fest if we're going to be there for Calico Clean-up?
Just my two coppers...
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:03 pm

The deciding factor could be making reservations if we will be planning on using the camp ground. Staying there would be a good choice to encourage family participation. They host a lot of groups and activities at Calico. The campground is often booked up many weeks in advance for the weekends if you're trying to accommodate a group. The Mogfest reserves and pays for their sites a year ahead.

The alternative at Calico would be primitive camping in the canyons. The only large area I know of is camp rock.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:26 am

As far as dates go, they are pretty locked in. Check out the title og the SpringFest forum. All fest event dates were decided in December of 2008 so people would know what days to keep clear on their 2009 calendars.

We are trying to determine whether or not Calico Clean Up is even taking place this year. As far as I know, it is still planned for President's Day weekend but haven't heard a definitive yeas or no. I'm working that one. Aside from that, even if the Clean Up takes place, it doesn't lend itself to a lot of quality wheeling due to the work taking place. I'd like to go there in an atmosphere where we are relaxed and can explore without worrying so much about everything else.

As far as camping goes, I think the dry lake bed is an option if we get a huge group. Someone will just need to get out there early enough to get us a good spot if we want to use the canyons. There are some nice spots in those canyons for a group. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:35 am

Just as Ollie said, Calico Clean-Up doesn't lend itself to the same type of organized wheeling that SpringFest would be able to. This year they wanted to work on trail repair, so most areas will be occupied by vehicles trying to fix the terrain instead of transverse it.

SpringFest, while at the same location, would allow us, as a small group, to explore in a much more relaxed way than during the hectic, over-vehicle-populated clean-up event, IMO...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:49 am

You guys make a good point with the relaxed wheeling thing... didn't really think of that. :oops:
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm

So, seeing how I haven't been to Calico yet, I've been doing a little research on the trails in that area. I found two here that could be combined to make a stock-friendly day run. It forms a loop just north of Barstow. If there's any interest in this kinda thing I could do a prerun for it one of these weekends. The route is Starbright Trail and Black Canyon road. Along the way, it looks like there's plenty to see- petroglyphs, old stone cabins, mines, wells, a stage station site and a few dry lakes.

63 miles
5.5 hours
Easy

These trails take a circuitous route through the mountains and hills north of Barstow. Along the way the trail travels past mining remains, along dry washes, on ridge tops that offer panoramic views of Superior Valley, an past the dry beds of Coyote and Superior Lakes. The lakes are often used for land yachts.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:55 pm

If you are willing to go check it out, I'm certainly game to listen to what you find :mrgreen:

I've only done the trails within the Calico area, but never the route outside the "main" area...so I'd be interested to see the outlying area as well...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Due to work obligations, travel, the economy, and such, we have let the planning of this event go too long. At the moment we (the BOD) feel that it is best to concentrate our efforts on planning the Summerfest event at this time and let Springfest go this year. We can still set up some sort of unsanctioned run during the planned dates but the logistics for setting it up as a fest event this late in the game would be nearly impossible at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Let the flaming begin....
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “2009 OAUSA SpringFest Event (March 27-29)”