Calico?

SpringFest planning section.
gon2srf

Re: Calico?

Post by gon2srf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Is it spring already? I've been holed up in my office for so long I forgot what month it was. Seriously, I respect the boards opinion and look forward to some sort of recovery and a party to celebrate it at SummerFest. ;)
Image_Image_Image

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:17 pm

I am really sorry to hear this. I have never been to Calico and was looking forward to it. Oh well.

On to Summerfest. Big Bear again? I had a great time last year.

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:If you are willing to go check it out, I'm certainly game to listen to what you find :mrgreen:

I've only done the trails within the Calico area, but never the route outside the "main" area...so I'd be interested to see the outlying area as well...
Hmmmm... short memory Larry. Calico Clean Up 2008. That's Coyote Lake in the background, maybe Cheryl was driving. :lol: :lol:
Coyote Lake.JPG
Coyote Lake.JPG (139.83 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Oh look there she is again. :lol:
Coyote Dry Lake.JPG
Coyote Dry Lake.JPG (247.98 KiB) Viewed 3811 times

Well we really did not get near as far NW as John is mentioning and that is a great area to explore. My mother in law lives on 150 acres leading up to the NW corner of General Mountain (bottom center) so I am very familiar with the area. There are lots of ATV's and gun toting weekend warriors out there but it is still lots of fun. Gotta go soon before it starts getting real hot. I've been at the in-laws when it was 122'. Smokin' hot!
Hinkley Calico Area.jpg
Hinkley Calico Area.jpg (176.72 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
Image_Image_Image

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:19 pm

sdnative wrote:I am really sorry to hear this. I have never been to Calico and was looking forward to it. Oh well.

On to Summerfest. Big Bear again? I had a great time last year.
IMO if you were planning on going why not just go. The trip doesn't need a moniker to make it memorable and in fact you will probably get in a lot more time behind the wheel. :)
Image_Image_Image

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 am

gon2srf wrote:Hmmmm... short memory Larry. Calico Clean Up 2008. That's Coyote Lake in the background, maybe Cheryl was driving. :lol: :lol:
Ok, so I have a memory the size of a pea...that was actually a lot of fun when we went out around the backside of Calico, racing down the trail 'til we found civilization (or at least a paved road) again...

I'm game to just make an unofficial weekend run...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:45 am

I'm going to try to still make it out there for that Sarurday. I'd make a day trip of it. I'll try to post a run thread in the Outdoor Adveture Planning forum.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:46 pm

gon2srf wrote:IMO if you were planning on going why not just go. The trip doesn't need a moniker to make it memorable and in fact you will probably get in a lot more time behind the wheel. :)
That's just what i was thinking. Not sure if it'll be a day trip or for the whole weekend.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:41 pm

My buddy and I are heading up there on the 21st for a weekend of camping, shooting and a little wheeling. Might even head up that Friday afternoon, but we'll see...
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

aw12345

Post by aw12345 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:18 am

Might be a bit busy that weekend, They are running an event called idtt that weekend.
But then you can always join the fun

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=13112
2006 Jeep Wrangler
2004 Jeep Wrangler

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:11 pm

I'll be going up early Saturday morning (the 28th) and wheeling as much as possible that day, camping, then tooling around a bit Sunday and heading home.

It sounds like quite a few people are still interested in doing this. If we can decide on a time and location to meet Saturday, we can even do some route planning on the spot with anyone who has experience in Calico and/or a map, then head out together. It might be a nice adventure to do it all on the fly rather than plan everything out.

Either way, let's roll.
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

Return to “2009 OAUSA SpringFest Event (March 27-29)”