SummerFest 2009 Fun Run 1

SummerFest planning section.
BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

SummerFest 2009 Fun Run 1

Post by BruisedFJ » Wed May 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Since not too many people will have hit camp by early Friday. I thought I'd propose an exploratory run over North West Big Bear.

Friday 1:00 PM
From the Big Pine Flat campground, drive North up 3N11 to Wright Mine. After exploring the mine, turn West on 3N17 to South Peak, then to North Peak through the White Mountain area. 3N17 ends on the graded 4N16 near Balanced Rock, where we’d turn South to the graded 3N14. If we're anxious to get back to camp, we could continue South on 4N16 right back to camp, or turn West on 3N14 to 3N59 and head South to Carbine Flat, and/or explore 3N59A West between Round Mountain and Luna Mountain, then back to 4N16 and back to camp. As another alternative leg, before the last run to camp, we can run 2N06 as well.

Since there is a huge group up there this weekend as well, I'll defer to others to propose all or part of John Bull, and what time of day we should hit that one, given the crowd and when OAUSA people are arriving at camp.
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

ssc

Re: SummerFest 2009 Fun Run 1

Post by ssc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:27 am

What large group is also in BB that weekend? If there are crowds, heading east to heartbreak and rattlesnake seems to get away from them.

Regards, SSC
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Sounds like fun. I haven't been on any of the trails in that area yet.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

BruisedFJ

Post by BruisedFJ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:46 pm

ssc wrote:What large group is also in BB that weekend? If there are crowds, heading east to heartbreak and rattlesnake seems to get away from them.

Regards, SSC
Sorry, Steve. I deleted the email that warned me of the big group that will be in Big Bear during SummerFest.
However, a google search showed "Jeep Thrills in Las Vegas" will be there with 19, and Rugged Rocks Online says they're having their Fest there also. (A they're-their-there trifecta in one sentence! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

On another note, NotaMog suggested another light-duty run that might be great at night: 2N10 Skyline Grandview Loop (immediately south of Big Bear Lake). If others are interested, please post a reply with what night you'd want to do it (Fri or Sat) and I'll start a seperate thread for the run.

NotaMog,
3N14 is closed, so that one's out. And with a small turn-out, don't think we'd have enough folks to sign up for a run to Pioneer Town. This sounds like a run we could schedule on its own next month maybe. Your suggestion to do 2N06 I tacked on to this run since we'd be going right by it near the end.
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Check out this link http://www.ie4w.com/

It's going to be very busy up there that weekend.

Runs from this event can reach 30+ rigs. With total attendace in the hundreds.

Sorry
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

ssc

Post by ssc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Hey Big B how you doing? With the numbers we are looking at, it sounds mighty congested. Add in a rig or two with failures and we got ourselves a mess. I reviewed the web site suggested by Braden and maybe a run to jacoby and then to heartbreak, make our way down to Pioneer town then up rattlesnake and back to BB. It would be a long day, but great sites and good wheeling. Might work with a small group.

Food for thought.

Regards, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 pm

I trust your judgment Steve, we had a great time last year while you were leading. Looks like we will have a small group.

Scott
Image_Image_Image

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:47 am

ssc wrote:maybe a run to jacoby and then to heartbreak, make our way down to Pioneer town then up rattlesnake and back to BB.
This sounds fun. I had a great time in this area last year.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:45 am

We'll have to be sure to have at least one person running APRS. Last year there was another group that was tracking our progress and modifying their route to avoid coming head to head with us in a area where passing would be difficult. It's too bad we can't count on all of the groups up there to be running APRS. It could be a great way to avoid congestion on a busy weekend.

I'll try to generate some UIview maps of the area and make sure that my system is up and running. I'll have to try the messaging feature as well. The guy who was monitoring us was sending text messages to coordinate our positions. I haven't tried two thumb typing on the Kenwood microphone yet.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

BruisedFJ

Post by BruisedFJ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:17 am

ssc wrote:. . . maybe a run to jacoby and then to heartbreak, make our way down to Pioneer town then up rattlesnake and back to BB. It would be a long day, but great sites and good wheeling. Might work with a small group.

Regards, Steve
I'm good with this, as the only BB roads I've ridden are Holcomb Valley Rd when I camped at Crab Flats (still taking Penecillin for that one :oops: )

I wrote down all the Inland Empire runs, when they're starting and what CB channel they're on, so we can better avoid conflicts. I'll be sure to bring the sheet with me.
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

Return to “2009 OAUSA SummerFest Event (June 19-21)”