CO2 tank options

Share your outdoor adventure vehicle with us, give us all the details, show them off, share your mods, and tech information. This is where to put your build threads and upgrades.
ssc

Re: CO2 tank options

Post by ssc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 am

Scott, I wish powertank would prove you correct. I just called them and they told me to unscrew the plastic cover and use LT-like you said to secure the screw. The person seemed to indicate this is a common issue. I will do so and hope the face then will straighten out. I informed them the plastic shock boot was cracked. The person (Bob) said, " after a bit they break." He said he would send me one, but it was $4 plus shipping. I did not have my wallet with me and told him. He never offered to send it and I told him I would call back when I got my wallet.

$4 is no big deal, but that can be looked at both ways:
1. buy it for 4 and have a new part. 2. If they know it breaks, then redesign it or get a better part and replace them for free when they break. I am sure the part only costs them .50cents. Lastly, think customer service and this, in my book was a bad way to promote CS. Obviously, this gauge is a cheap substandard part that breaks and screws come out. Why don't they fix the problem? Frankly, last night after reading this post, I had reviewed their site and was thinking of upgrading to one of their digital gauges, which was more than $100. I think I will pass and just keep what I have for the time. Not with standing the above, my set up has performed great and I am impressed with the regulator and the tank and hose. Too bad they cut corners on the gauge.

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am

ssc wrote:Scott, I wish powertank would prove you correct. I just called them and they told me to unscrew the plastic cover and use LT-like you said to secure the screw. The person seemed to indicate this is a common issue. I will do so and hope the face then will straighten out. I informed them the plastic shock boot was cracked. The person (Bob) said, " after a bit they break." He said he would send me one, but it was $4 plus shipping. I did not have my wallet with me and told him. He never offered to send it and I told him I would call back when I got my wallet.

1. buy it for 4 and have a new part. 2. If they know it breaks, then redesign it or get a better part and replace them for free when they break. I am sure the part only costs them .50cents. Lastly, think customer service and this, in my book was a bad way to promote CS. Obviously, this gauge is a cheap substandard part that breaks and screws come out. Why don't they fix the problem? Frankly, last night after reading this post, I had reviewed their site and was thinking of upgrading to one of their digital gauges, which was more than $100. I think I will pass and just keep what I have for the time. Not with standing the above, my set up has performed great and I am impressed with the regulator and the tank and hose. Too bad they cut corners on the gauge.

Cheers, Steve
Sorry to hear this Steve. I agree with you 100% and hope you don't mind if I forward your email to them. That gauge cover is pretty flimsy but is well protected in most cases. The damage occurs when it comes loose and falls off. I taped mine on with a thin piece of scotch around the base and it's been good ever since. Not something you should have to do though on a $500.00 product. :oops:
Image_Image_Image

ssc

Post by ssc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:50 am

Scott, please feel free to forward my post. I agree with your assessment. They make a good and expensive product. The last thing they should do is cut corners on the item that most people will see and handle the most and then expect folks to take it apart and fix it themselves. Further, this is the second unit that did the exact same thing; screws came out of face plate and the plastic shock collar cracked.

Cheers, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:04 pm

gon2srf wrote:
ssc wrote:Scott, I wish powertank would prove you correct. I just called them and they told me to unscrew the plastic cover and use LT-like you said to secure the screw. The person seemed to indicate this is a common issue. I will do so and hope the face then will straighten out. I informed them the plastic shock boot was cracked. The person (Bob) said, " after a bit they break." He said he would send me one, but it was $4 plus shipping. I did not have my wallet with me and told him. He never offered to send it and I told him I would call back when I got my wallet.

Cheers, Steve
Sorry to hear this Steve. I agree with you 100% and hope you don't mind if I forward your email to them. That gauge cover is pretty flimsy but is well protected in most cases. The damage occurs when it comes loose and falls off. I taped mine on with a thin piece of scotch around the base and it's been good ever since. Not something you should have to do though on a $500.00 product. :oops:
If your e-mail doesn't get results, let me know, and I will contact them.

I agree with your assessment of the gauge - it shouldn't fall apart. Those gauges are not made in-house by Powertank, but do carry a warranty. Regarding improvements, they have upgraded new units with a digital gauge, which is more precise, and has no moving parts on the gauge face at all, so the issue might be moot for those new systems. Either way, what you purchased should work correctly, and should not fall apart under normal use. Powertank has always stood behind their products, so I'm sure any issue dealt with during the warranty period will be taken care of.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

ssc

Post by ssc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi larry,
I do not know what the warranty period is, but I bought my unit from you in 07. I am willing to say it is beyond the warranty. I am glad they have "apparently" improved the tire inflator. I guess my point is that they sure could have scored some great customer service points by sending a new collar or gauge, knowing that the older one is problematic. I am not saying they were under an obligation to do so, but I probably would have then bought a digital gauge due to their CS. What happens when a digital gauge that one spends over $100 goes bad in a few years? So I guess I will take mine apart and LT the bolts and try to straighten the face and tape it together and maybe glue the collar together. Of course, when I show my powertank to people, they will see this tire inflator in all its glory. Remember, Chris started this thread because he saw Eric and myself airing up with CO2. ( I am assuming this to be the reason.) Me with my powertank with the broken tire inflator and Eric with his system. I do not recall if Chris took a look at my system or not. However, I have had numerous people ask me about my powertank and I like to show it to them. Usually they make a comment that they have looked at them and they are expensive. They always ask if I think it is worth the money vs building their own. I answer as stated above--it is a good system. The tank, regulator and hose are great, but the tire inflator is problematic. I guess from this point forward, I will add that MAYBE the new more expensive tire inflators MIGHT be better, and that their customer service Could be better. Feel free to forward this to Powertank.

Cheers, Steve
Last edited by ssc on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:22 am

ssc wrote:Hi larry,
I do not know what the warrenty period is, but I bought my unit from you in 07. I am willing to say it is beyond the warrenty. I am glad they have "apparently" improved the tire inflator. I guess my point is that they sure could have scored some great customer service points by sending a new collar or gauge, knowing that the older one is problematic. I am not saying they were under an obligation to do so, but I probably would have then bought a digital gauge due to their CS. What happens when a digital gauge that one spends over $100 goes bad in a few years?
I would contact Powertank and tell them what you've told us - they might agree with you, and replace your unit.

I'm not trying to defend Powertank, but while your tire gauge had issues, and Scott's had an issue, I don't know that all, or even a large number, of the tire gauge units were problematic. I've sold dozens, (and there are many dealers larger than I am who've sold hundreds more), and only a few have had issues brought to my attention. As in Scott's case, where he just fixed it himself, Powertank might not be aware of how many of the gauges have issues, relative to the numbers sold, an therefore didn't feel a "fix" was necessary.

Either way, a call to Powertank might resolve the issue...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

ssc

Post by ssc » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:20 am

Larry,
I appreciate the note, but you are missing what I said. I did call PT and they stated the collars break. The exact quote, " Oh yeah, after a while, they break." Then wanted me to pay for the part plus shipping. Had I had my wallet handy, I may have ordered the part. I may still order the part if the glue does not work. They seemed very aware of the gauge/screw issue as they told me to fix it with LT. So, I will fix it and tape it and glue it---and when people ask to look at the unit, I will explain as above stated. I just gave an honest assessment of the PT in answer to this thread and as things go, it is a minor issue. If you or Scott want to forward this thread to PT, please do so. Maybe they will rethink their CS position on this issue the next time someone else calls them. They have a right to handle the matter as they did and we as consumers have the right to report how our issues and CS was responded too. The internet is far reaching and the offroad community is small--something one would think they would consider re: CS. As an aside, the first time the gauge broke, it wasn't too long after I bought the unit. I called you-Larry- who immediately replaced the tire inflator. Larry, your CS is outstanding and there is a reason we like to call you with questions and refer people to you without hesitation. :D

Cheers, Steve

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:58 pm

ssc wrote:Larry,
I appreciate the note, but you are missing what I said. I did call PT and they stated the collars break. The exact quote, " Oh yeah, after a while, they break." Then wanted me to pay for the part plus shipping. Had I had my wallet handy, I may have ordered the part. I may still order the part if the glue does not work. They seemed very aware of the gauge/screw issue as they told me to fix it with LT. So, I will fix it and tape it and glue it---and when people ask to look at the unit, I will explain as above stated. I just gave an honest assessment of the PT in answer to this thread and as things go, it is a minor issue. If you or Scott want to forward this thread to PT, please do so. Maybe they will rethink their CS position on this issue the next time someone else calls them.
My apologies for missing your original statement...(and thank you for the compliment ;) )

I'll give PT a call this week just to see what's up, and if I can change their mind on their original response to you. Either way, they should be made aware that the quality issue of the gauge could directly affect future sales...something they might want to correct for the long term...

W6LPB / WPOK492

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:31 am

Steve-

I emailed PowerTank on Friday regarding your recent experience and added a link to this thread. No reply yet, I'll update you if I hear something.

Scott
Image_Image_Image

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for all the info, I am still unsure of what I will do, but I am leaning towards the powertank regulator kit and my own tank. I almost had a powertank set up off of craigslist, but it sold just before I could get there so I am keeping my eyes open on that route as well.

cruiserlarry, I looked at your site and did not see the regulator setup, only the complete kits, do you sell them?

Cris
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Return to “VEHICLES AND VEHICLE TECH”