Havasu Hauler

Share your outdoor adventure vehicle with us, give us all the details, show them off, share your mods, and tech information. This is where to put your build threads and upgrades.
ssc

Havasu Hauler

Post by ssc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 pm

I had mentioned that I was thinking of replacing my ford. Its main purpose was taking the family, including dogs and the puddycat to and from Havasu. It was also used for exploring and light wheeling. I have never had an american vehicle make it to 100,000 miles without giving me grief. I just do not want troubles going across the desert with critters, and kids in 120 degree heat etc. It had left us stranded in the desert a few weeks ago--but did start after 45 minutes or so. It had once left me stranded while bear hunting in the mountains and had to be placed on a flatbed. So a few weeks ago I stopped by a Toyota dealer to look at the tundra. We worked a deal and they were appraising the ford, when the guy walks in and asks if I have a cut off switch. :x The ford flatlined on the lot. :lol: They still gave me a great deal and I have the new Havasu Hauler. The puddycat is a happy camper.

It is the 4x4 crewmax with the TRD package. I sold the tires and replaced them with 275-75-18 BFG KO's so I gained an inch. The snugtop is on order and I am researching a front bumper and suspension parts--though I may keep the truck stock for a while. In light wheeling I am impressed.

Cheers, Steve
9J4G0197.JPG
Stock
9J4G0197.JPG (293.49 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
9J4G0202.JPG
With new shoes, at home in Havasu
9J4G0202.JPG (246.58 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

sdnative

Re: Havasu Hauler

Post by sdnative » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Very nice! I think you'll be happy with it. I think a diesel would be better for strictly towing, but the Tundra is an all around excellent truck. My friend at work has one, and have ridden in it a few times. Very roomy.

Curious if you looked at the Dodge trucks with the Cummins? Those engines are legendary, but not sure about the rest of the truck. Can you get those with the Allison as well or is that only in the GM?

ssc

Post by ssc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Eric,
I agree that a diesel is a better set up for towing. If I was towing a heavy load on a regular basis, then I would have considered a diesel. However, for my towing needs, the tundra is more than adequate. Based on my research, all the big diesel rigs are having issues now that they have all the new requirements. I didn't want a 3/4 ton truck as the ride is generally not as nice as the 1/2 ton. The allison comes in the GM. Due to my past experience with GM products and service, I doubt I will ever buy a GM product again. I have never been much of a dodge truck fan. Therefore it came down to the ford f150 vs the tundra. That was an easy choice. The tundra has a proven design, motor, trans and great reliability. Very high customer satisfaction and many of my hunting buddy's--who would only buy American--have gone to the tundra; with great results.

The f150 has three new motors, a new trans, new steering system and problems galore. I have spent time on the f150 forums and they rave about their trucks, but also have as many problems. Of the few friends of mine who have bought the new f150, two have had ford buy them back, one is somewhat happy, though he has had numerous trany issues. Lastly, I could not get a f150 optioned to my specs.

Take care, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:57 pm

I hope I didn't come across wrong, I am not implying you should have got the diesel. The Tundra is an awesome truck. For some reason I thought you mentioned towing in your first post, hence the diesel comment. I had to read it again. Anyway, congratulations! Carry on...

ssc

Post by ssc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Eric, you didn't come across wrong at all. :D It is always a pleasure to hear from you. Hope to see you soon.

Cheers, Steve

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Very nice addition Steve. You have quite the line up of Toyotas in your parking lot there. :lol: I like it. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Congrats, Steve !!

You'll definitely enjoy the Tundra - while listed as a 1/2 ton, it uses a heavier, stronger frame and larger brakes than the domestic 3/4 tons, and has a similar tow capacity (with the 5.7L - although it looks like you might have the 4.6L from the picture ;) ). I work on them all the time, and their reliability is up to Toyota's normal high standards.

The Allison trans is only available in GM trucks, and the Cummins diesel is amazing, but the rest of the Dodge's construction leaves much to desired, IMO...so unless you are going on longhaul tow runs, you're better off with the gas motor, as well as the Toyota's build quality :mrgreen:

Enjoy it...I'm jealous :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

ssc

Post by ssc » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks all. I really like this rig. And yes it is the 5.7. I love that motor. Just say no to the Icon stage 4---just say no. I hate it when the voices in my head start problems. :lol:

Happy Turkey Day, Steve

Return to “VEHICLES AND VEHICLE TECH”