'95 Toyota Land Cruiser, 80 Series

Share your outdoor adventure vehicle with us, give us all the details, show them off, share your mods, and tech information. This is where to put your build threads and upgrades.
BigDave
Call Sign: KI6LYZ

'95 Toyota Land Cruiser, 80 Series

Post by BigDave » Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 am

My latest daily driver and off-road race chase vehicle is a 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser. It has full time four-wheel drive, front and rear factory lockers. I first upgraded the the tires up one size to 285/75/16 BFG TA KO All Terrains from the worn Perelli Scorpians. It came to me with factory front bumper/brush guard and running boards. I have since removed those items and installed a custom built pre-runner stye front tube bumper that a friend and I designed and built. The bumper is not finished yet. Today I sanded and chemically treated it to remove all the rust, then I sprayed a coat of grey primer to pervent further rust. I installed three HID spot lights and two HID amber driving / flood lights to the bumper. The high and low beam headlights have been converted to HID. I refurbished my roof rack from my 4Runner with truck bed liner paint and monted it using rain gutter mounts. It is now sturdier than ever. It has room for 4 more off-road lights, those will come later on after I save a bit more money. Today I was a little bored and decided to paint my fender flares and the bottome half of doors with truck bed liner paint. I think it turned out really well. I have installed a 2m Yaesu and a 2m/440 Alinco radios. I'm planning to soon add my Yaesu 857D all bander and Hi-Q screwdriver antenna. I just need to fabricate a mount for the screwdriver. I have a 2 inch Old Man Emu coil lift to yet install. As an off-road racing photographer I spend most of my weekends pre-running race courses all over the southwest, then camping out on the side of the race course to be ready for the trucks, buggies, UTV's, motorcycles and quads when they start, sometimes at or before sunrise. Most times I am the only person within a 10-50 mile radius. I'm usually only gone a day or two but I go prepared for a week, just in case.
DAV_1254.JPG
My 95 Land Cruiser shortly after I bought it
DAV_1254.JPG (7.62 MiB) Viewed 6669 times
DAV_8154.JPG
Today before doing some work on it.
DAV_8154.JPG (7.24 MiB) Viewed 6669 times
DAV_8156.JPG
Roof Rack installed
DAV_8156.JPG (7.87 MiB) Viewed 6669 times
DAV_8167.JPG
Above view of tube bumper
DAV_8167.JPG (8.01 MiB) Viewed 6669 times
DAV_8169.JPG
Lower view of tube bumper
DAV_8169.JPG (7.25 MiB) Viewed 6669 times
DAV_8171.JPG
Fenders and lower doors with bed liner paint
DAV_8171.JPG (7.52 MiB) Viewed 6669 times
Dave

KI6LYZ

"Shootin' trucks and snortin' dust"

BorregoWrangler

Re: '95 Toyota Land Cruiser, 80 Series

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue May 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Looking good, Dave! I'm sure you'll be enjoying many miles of dirt with your new rig.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue May 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Nice 80, Dave !!!

I look forward to seeing it in person, and in action :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Wed May 16, 2012 7:42 am

Nice Truck Dave, you will really enjoy it. Congrats!

smslavin
Call Sign: KJ6LDF

Post by smslavin » Wed May 16, 2012 7:54 am

Nice looking 80. Great work on the bumper. I just started seriously looking at these. Bec needs her own car and one of these would totally fit the bill and with just a small amount of work, give us way more camping room than my FJ. With Slee 20 min down the road from me, the temptation is practically irresitible. :lol:
BigDave wrote:As an off-road racing photographer I spend most of my weekends pre-running race courses all over the southwest, then camping out on the side of the race course to be ready for the trucks, buggies, UTV's, motorcycles and quads when they start, sometimes at or before sunrise.
I wish we had had the opportunity to meet while I was still in SoCal. Would have loved to have tagged along to one of the races and shoot a bit.
{ slavin photography | KJ6LDF }

Return to “VEHICLES AND VEHICLE TECH”