Pinzgauer

Share your outdoor adventure vehicle with us, give us all the details, show them off, share your mods, and tech information. This is where to put your build threads and upgrades.
NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Pinzgauer

Post by NotAMog » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Here is my rig. It's an Austrian built 1972 Pinzgauer 710M ex Swiss army.

These vehicles were being imported in the the U.S. for about the last 8 years as the Swiss army has been auctioning the off. The Swiss bought thousands of them in the '70s and early '80s. Most were the soft top "M" models used as troop transports. There was also a closed body "K" model which were mostly used as radio trucks. There is also a 6x6 712 model. Most of these were "M" model troop transports and Ambulances with a large fiberglass box on the back. If you want more in formation on Pinzgauers here are some links -

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/pinzgauers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The supply of first generation Pinzgauers has pretty much dried up from the Swiss army but some are coming out of the Austrian army and Venezuela. Some dealers still have new to the U.S. first generation Swiss Pinzgauers but the market for them is increasingly based on resales of those already in the country. The Swiss Pinzgauers are generally in excellent shape with very low mileage. They were stored in caves so they were out of the weather most of the time and the Swiss would rebody them if much rust appeared.

These trucks are highly capable off road although the driving technique is somewhat different from more conventional 4x4 vehicles. They have 4 wheel independent suspension with limited articulation compared with a highly modified Jeep. They are equipped with front and rear hydraulically actuated lockers, 2 speed transfer case, and a ZF 5 speed manual transmission. Because of the limited articulation it isn't uncommon to lift a wheel on uneven obstacles. I generally throw on the rear locker if I'm in a situation where there is even a remote chance that I'll lift a wheel and I'll use both when I know I will. Here is a YouTube link showing my Pinzgauer negotiating the "On Ramp" to "Freeway Ridge" (aka Black Gulch) East of Bakersfield, CA -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeYDSfDqrmc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a ham radio platform they work very well. Most all were equipped with a heavy duty HF antenna mount on top of the front roll bar. There are two warning signs in the trucks in German and French warning you to "Stowe the antenna before driving" as the antenna is approximately 30ft high. Some have even come from the Swiss army with the antenna holders and antennas. I understand that the correct military antenna is available from Fair Radio Sales. The 710K radio trucks have a heavy duty antenna mount on each side. The "K" model Pinzgauers are ideal for serious off road ham radio operation as they have a table mounted directly behind the front cab and 3 forward facing rear seats facing the table.

Like most military vehicles Pinzgauers utilize a 24 volt electrical system but running 12v radios is easily accomplished by utilizing a DC to DC converter or directly off of the batteries with a battery balancer. The trucks use 2 12v batteries and it's important to keep the load balanced between them so it is inadvisable to tap one battery for 12v power.

I currently have an EPIA mother board PC mounted in a VOOM2 case which I use in the truck for my GPS naviation. I have a Kenwood TMD-700A I'll be installing soon along with a dedicated GPS receiver to run APRS. I'll also be installing a Diamond K9000 mount on a plate which I substituted for the heavy HF antenna mount. Being able to remotely fold the antenna is important as the Pinzgauer is over 7' tall and I hit a lot of overhanging branches lower vehicles miss.

I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some runs with the group.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: Pinzgauer

Post by toms » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey Bruce,
Did you solve the red plague problem?

Tom
KI6FHA
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:13 pm

Tom,

Yes and no. When I looked into my fuel tank through the inspection port the lining was OK. I had expected to see large patches where it had bubbled up and detached from the tank. I later checked with my Uber Pinzgauer mechanic and he said that his experience has been that the red flakes in my fuel filter were probably from my old Swiss Jerry can and not from the tank. It looked like he was right.

Oh well..... better safe than sorry when your going out 100 miles from nowhere. I'll just be sure to carry plenty of extra fuel filters just in case it does happen.

Bruce
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)

martyr

Post by martyr » Sat May 17, 2008 10:17 am

NICE rig, hope to see it on the trails some day. I love Pinzgauers...

NotAMog
Global Moderator

Post by NotAMog » Sat May 17, 2008 10:05 pm

For anyone interested in Pinzgauers, Haflingers, or Unimogs I suggest that you check out the Calico Mogfest which will be held this year Oct 3-5 at Calico Ghost Town. Last year there were about 14 Pinzgauers, 3 Haflingers, and whole bunch of Unimogs.

Running with these folks is a little different to say the least. We even had a guy with a commercial pizza oven in the back of his Pinzgauer 710M making fresh pizzas out on the trail (while stopped of course). Him and his buddy made a wrong turn coming back to camp and ended up going down Duran Canyon at night. The only damage was a small dent on the nose of his truck.

The Mogs make everything look easy as long as they'll fit on the trail. In the Mogs you'll see everything from highly modified rock crawlers to totally stock ex Swiss troop carries and radio trucks. The ages span from just after WWII to only a few years old.

Here is the Mogfest official web site -

http://mogfest.mavericksworld.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For something a little sooner, there will be a Pinzgauer, Haflinger, and Unimog gathering at the AmVet locate at 14910 Los
Angeles St, Irwindale,CA, June 8th from 8ish to 3:00 PM . This is a regular monthly meeting for the SCMVCC and they invited anyone with Euro military vehicles to join them for their June meet. Unfortunately they will only be on static display.

Enjoy,
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i

Return to “VEHICLES AND VEHICLE TECH”