Garmin Map Source TOPO US 2008 DVD

Post up your for sale or trade items here.
sdnative

Garmin Map Source TOPO US 2008 DVD

Post by sdnative » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:35 pm

-SOLD-

I no longer need this, so it is up for grabs. Here is the product information including GPS units it will work with.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... 97&ra=true

$60 shipped to contiguous 48.
Last edited by sdnative on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Re: Garmin Map Source TOPO US 2008 DVD

Post by photojeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:12 am

You cannot do that, unless you are going to sell the GPS that the unlock codes are tied to. The way Garmin does this is when you purchased the GPS and then you bought the software or the software (DVD or CD) came as part of the bundle when you installed the software you are required to "unlock" the software. It looks for a compatible GPS unit via the USB or serial port and then it unlocks the software for use. Now the software and the GPS are in effect "married" no divorce allowed, it is for life! So if your GPS gets run over or just dies, well your software is useless. I spent 15 minutes with the person on the Garmin tech support. They also stated that it would not be possible to switch the unlock codes to another GPS if your GPS was destroyed. Yeah I know this sucks! I do like the software but that part is a real sucking point. Now the TOPO maps that Garmin sells is not tied to a unlock code due to the fact that they are using USGS maps and those maps are part of the public domain due to the fact that we the people of the United States paid for them already all they can charge us for is the code that is used to interface with the GPS.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:48 am

It has never asked me for an unlock code or serial number or anything. In my case, I installed the base map source software that came with my GPS, then installed the TOPO maps. No issues whatsoever.

Matter of fact, I used to have the previous version of this software, and when my dad was visting I connected up his GPS (same model 60csx) and downloaded a bunch of maps to his and mine.

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:55 am

Okay you are selling the TOPO, yeah those do not have the unlock codes. I was thinking of the Garmin made maps. Oh well.
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Bass Pro Shop is selling this for $99 plus tax.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

Mine is half the price.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:11 am

Still have this. Make an offer. I would rather sell it to someone here than put it on flea-bay.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:13 pm

-SOLD-

Return to “OAUSA BARTERING FORUM”