OAUSA Net - August 9, 2017 - Tools For The Trail

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA Net - August 9, 2017 - Tools For The Trail

Post by DaveK » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:15 am

This week we explore the tools we carry, or should carry, on the trail and at camp. We initially thought that we would exclude automotive tools, but on second thought, it was clear that no discussion on tools would be complete without covering those that would be necessary to work on the vehicle that gets you safely to and from camp. So, we will discuss them all!

Join us with your lists.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: OAUSA Net - August 9, 2017 - Tools For The Trail

Post by toms » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:03 pm

On Board Welder

It is amazing how often the Premier Power Welder is used once you have one.
Premier Welder in LJ.jpg
Premier Welder in LJ.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 399 times
The PREMIER POWER WELDER is the only onboard welding system with a proven track record since 1979. The current streamlined control box is our 3rd generation with few switches and easy operation. Our system offers battery charging, welding, and a 115 vold DC power source. With a premier high frequency, 100% duty cycle welder, you can ARC weld, MIG weld and TIG weld JUST ABOVE ENGINE IDLE! You can also run power equipment such as grinders, drills, saws, and incandescent lights.

http://premierpowerwelder.com/

Speedy Stitcher
SAM_0295ml.jpg
SAM_0295ml.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 399 times
20151009_141302.jpg
20151009_141302.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 399 times

Micro Start

Micro Start.jpg
Micro Start.jpg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 341 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

KAP
Call Sign: KK6DGL

Post by KAP » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 pm

I always try to think of ways that anything I bring with me, can serve multiple purposes. Your chosen tools should have a specific home and be easily accessible.

Below are a few good choices.
IMG_6688.JPG
A Pulaski Tool combines an Axe and a Mattock. This is a great compliment to a medium handled shovel. Both can be used to repair a trail or improve safety, build or quench a fire.
IMG_6688.JPG (131.26 KiB) Viewed 378 times
IMG_6666.JPG
A headlamp offers hands free lighting when repairing a vehicle, setting up camp, using the facilities at night. They can also make an expedient area lantern by hanging from a tree or antenna mast.
IMG_6666.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 378 times
IMG_6663.JPG
If you are going to carry a propane stove, you may as well bring a torch head. Not only can you use it to help get a camp fire going, you can pre-heat metal before you weld or make a repair or even finish off that Dutch oven Creme Brulee'.
IMG_6663.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 378 times
IMG_1077.JPG
Locking pliers will allow you to position a vehicle part for repair, move a Dutch Oven, twist out a ground rod or grip a tent stake when driving into hard ground.
IMG_1077.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 378 times
IMG_1079.JPG
A Multi-Tool. It's right there in the name. I had to borrow Dave's to set up an antenna. I should have been wearing mine. In a box in the car is not the right place for something that Is so useful.
IMG_1079.JPG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 378 times
IMG_1080.JPG
A light to heavy tarp has many uses such as providing a slick surface when moving around under a vehicle( it will also catch parts from being lost in the dirt. The tarp can be used over a roof rack or even loosely over the entire vehicle to lower the inside temperature. This will greatly reduce the load on your on board fridge/freezer or ice chest. Lastly, we found tarps very useful on Field Day when a sudden thunderstorm threatend to soak our Radio gear.
IMG_1080.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 378 times

lrsrngr

Post by lrsrngr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 am

KK6CTT requesting an early check-in for the 10 AUG 17 Net. Non-critical tools that I would miss if I did not pack them:
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 01.JPG
01: Lifetime folding table, chain for hanging Coleman lantern, USGI canteen cup, striker, steel brush/green pad, carbiners, fuel spot and post level.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 01.JPG (107.48 KiB) Viewed 363 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 02.JPG
02: Example of getting the skillet setup for a food burn.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 02.JPG (86 KiB) Viewed 363 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 03.JPG
03: Cutting board, this one, I believe is a snap together Coleman brand.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 03.JPG (77.24 KiB) Viewed 363 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 04.JPG
04: HF collapsible rake, USGI machete, yard sale find (quality) pruning saw and pruning spray.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 04.JPG (158.6 KiB) Viewed 363 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 05.JPG
05: Of course, the USGI folding shovel and the several years old rake in traveling configuration.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 05.JPG (149.56 KiB) Viewed 363 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 06.jpg
06: An example of how important sewing kits and headlamps can be.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 06.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 361 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 07.jpg
07: Quality knife and a GPS to smooth out the navigation needs. A compass is always nice to have as well.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 07.jpg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 361 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 08.jpg
08: Battery eliminator used until I need to go to battery power (usually have an alternate source of power that I can use to plug into).
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 08.jpg (130.38 KiB) Viewed 361 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 09.jpg
09: Ed Fong rollup J-pole; at least one alternate antenna just in case.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 09.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 361 times
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 10.jpg
10: Maps of any kind very well could become critical.
170810, OAUSA Tools Net 10.jpg (123.77 KiB) Viewed 361 times
[b]HUA[/b] or "Hooah!" = Heard Understood & Acknowledged. In context: "Roger that sir, HUA!"

KK6DYO
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:15 am

My most used "tools" while on the trail or camping:

Apple iPad (or similar tablet computer)
https://www.apple.com/ipad/
With the proper selection of apps, I find a tablet computer indispensable on the trail. Recharges from USB.

Bad Elf GPS PRO
https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail
Provides GPS capability for WiFi tablet and logs GPS data points. Have this running constantly while on the move for later trip review. Great battery life. Recharges from USB.

App: Gaia GPS
https://www.gaiagps.com/
Can download a variety of maps (street, topographic, ...) and mark points of interest, roads, turns in advance of trip for offline access. Unfortunately gone to subscription service $30/year.

App: Theodolite
http://www.hrtapps.com/theodolite/
Shows and can time stamp photos with location, altitude, azimuth (compass), and inclination.

App: Clinometer
https://www.plaincode.com/products/clinometer/
Measures slope / orientation with speech synthesis output. Useful for leveling trailer, table, cooking surface.

Streamlight Bandit
http://www.streamlight.com/en/products/ ... dex/bandit
Headlamp is reasonably bright, light weight, fairly long runtime. Headband or clips to hat bill. Recharges from USB.

Olight I3E EOS
https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights ... -eos-black
Sufficiently bright EDC "keychain" 90 lumen flashlight. ("Silver" one is 120 lumens.) Easy to carry additional AAA batteries which are quick to recharge from USB.
Last edited by KK6DYO on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Early checkin please.
Phil T.
W6PET

If people destroy something replaceable made by mankind, they are called vandals; if they destroy something irreplaceable made by God, they are called developers.

Joseph Wood Krutch

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Some suggestions:

PRY BARS

You just never know when you or a buddy will need a pry bar. We've seen them used on all sorts of mishaps from rearranging sheet metal to removing stuck parts. Their small diameter make storage easy.

At least a couple of sizes will help insure that you can cover the big and small size jobs. From Northern Tools, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200344788 and http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200392496.

Pry Bar.jpg
Pry Bar.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Pry Bar 2.jpg
Pry Bar 2.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 322 times

3-Lb. DRILLING HAMMER (or mini sledge) by Estwing (http://www.estwing.com/s_drilling_hammer.php)

This hammer will come in handy for a lot of everyday chores, including driving tent and shower enclosure stakes, persuading difficult-to-remove parts, driving grounding rods, and a lot more.

From the Estwing website:
The Drilling Hammer has a bonded and molded Shock Reduction Grip® which offers the utmost in both comfort and durability, while reducing vibrations caused by impact. The head and handle are forged in one piece and have an attractive blue UV coating, both faces are fully polished. For use with chisels, punches, star drills and hardened nails. Permits heavy blows with limited swing.
Estwing  Drilling Hammer (sledge).jpg
Estwing Drilling Hammer (sledge).jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 317 times

BOLT CUTTERS

Bolt cutters can come in very handy in the most unusual circumstances, from cutting a padlock for which you have lost the key to cutting cables and heavy gauge wire. In emergencies, (such as fires), it can be used to cut wire fences that prevent escape to safety. Well made (in the USA) bolt cutters are available from Home Depot, http://www.homedepot.com/p/H-K-Porter-3 ... /205367456. From their website:
HK Porter Bolt Cuter.jpg
HK Porter Bolt Cuter.jpg (98.69 KiB) Viewed 313 times

MULTIMETER

A high quality multimeter can become your best friend when it comes to trouble shooting automiootive or Ham radio problems. Do your self a favor and invest in a quality unit, made in the USA. Klein Tools makes just such units. Hers is an example of one of their multimeters, http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/multi ... -nist-cert.
Multimeter by Klein Tools.jpg
Multimeter by Klein Tools.jpg (22.56 KiB) Viewed 312 times

NUTS AND BOLTS

I spent a week one day in the charming town of Baker, CA as I was waiting for my vehicle to be repaired. All went well until the mechanic realized that he had everything he needed to get me back on the road, except the one bolt that would make it happen. My options were to wait until he ordered the part from Las Vegas, which would take no more than 5 days, or ........... well, that was really my only option. That is until I realized that I had the foresight to put together a good assortment of bolts, nuts, washers and similar stuff (including some grade 8 bolts.) The one bolt I had that would work was not a perfect fit but it was safe and was more then enough to get me home. End of story. I can offer two pieces of friendly advice: 1)carry some extra hardware, cause you just never know when it will come in handy, and 2) don't stay overnight in Baker.
Nuts and Bolts.jpg
Nuts and Bolts.jpg (395.99 KiB) Viewed 311 times

ONE OF THE GREATEST TRAIL TOOLS EVER INVENTED - DUCT TAPE

It's uses are endless and if it isn't working for you, then you are probably not using enough!! Very little needs to said about duct tape except there are some heavy duty brands, made by 3M, Nashua and Scotch that should be considered. There are some outstanding, so-called, 100 MPH duct tapes that perform quite well, but be careful as there are some knock off brands that are junk.
Duct Tape.jpg
Duct Tape.jpg (208.53 KiB) Viewed 311 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm looking forward to the tool net.

Please put me down for an early check in.

WD6USA
Jeff
WD6USA

JackM-KK6WXQ
Call Sign: KK6WXQ

Post by JackM-KK6WXQ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm

As trail tools go this is just a little trick that has worked really well for me. I was looking for a faster and more convenient way to set up my tent. I started experimenting with a Dewalt Impact Driver. The one pictured is the smaller version with a reported 117 ft. lbs. of torque. I actually like this one but there is a big brother (the XR Version) with about 150 ft. lbs. of torque. In the picture, you see it is a 1/4 inch driver that I have fit with a 3/8 inch socket adapter. Then using a 9/16 socket you can use an 8 inch long x 3/8 inch lag screw as a tent peg. I use 12 inch lags for softer soil. The driver makes quick work of setting up my Springbar Tent and holds really well. It reduced my tent set up time considerably.

I also use these for my canvas Jeep awning. They drive in really quick and come our even faster.
Attachments
Impact Driver and Lag Bolt.JPG
Impact Driver and Lag Bolt.JPG (182.52 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Lag Bolt as Tent Stake.JPG
Lag Bolt as Tent Stake.JPG (157.98 KiB) Viewed 316 times

JackM-KK6WXQ
Call Sign: KK6WXQ

Post by JackM-KK6WXQ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Looking forward to the Trail Tools Net!

Please check me in!

Thanks - Jack M KK6WXQ