GENERAL PLANNING

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
Hmfigueroa
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Re: GENERAL PLANNING

Post by Hmfigueroa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:28 pm

DaveK wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:39 pm
GEAR REQUIREMENTS, SET-UP, SAFETY

A lot of general stuff here.

2. All - Does anyone need help setting up either Ham radios or APRS?

I have a small portable low power tracker that will run off a cigarette lighter if needed.

3. All - best to tell family and friends where you will be along with our itinerary.

4. All - I doubt that there will be any cell phone coverage once we hit dirt. I will be running Airmail (HF email) for the entire trip, making it possible to communicate with anyone, via regular email, regardless of our location. If you want to send and receive emails during the trip using my Airmail, I will need the addresses you wish to use. I must have them well before the start of the trip. Send them to me at my email address, DO NOT post them here.

I will be running a winmor station link to Winlink.org as well.

5. Anyone plan on bringing a generator?

I will be bringing a 1000 watt generator. . . it saved my bacon in Beef Basin!

6. Unless there is an objection, we will work in pairs to do meals - in other words, each meal will be handled by two campers. We'll work on assignments later.

7. How many refrigerator units do we have? I know that Roger, Hector, Cholla, and I have them.

8. NOTE: Please be fully gassed up (including your Jerry cans) and have all food purchased as we leave home.

Here is a starter list of gear you will need to carry:

1. Lantern. I prefer a Coleman two mantle, but no need to buy one if you don't have one. A good LED lantern, with decent output should do.
2. Cooking gear, including stove, utensils, fuel for stove, cleaning stuff, pots, pans skillets, etc.
3. First Aid kit - with current, non-expired, stuff.
4. Jack (factory) and Hi-Lift, if possible.
5. Spare tire (with adequate tread and fully inflated) within one size of the 4 on the vehicle.
6. Tire patch kit.
7. Recovery straps.
8. Fire extinguisher.
9. recovery points front and rear.
10. Extraction gear - shovel, D-rings
11. Chair.
12. Table.
13. Paper towels
14. Extra automotive fluids
15. Spare vehicle parts.
16. Drinking water.
17. Hand soap and lotion
18. Trash bags.
19. Coffee mug.
20. Wine glass.
21. Binoculars
22. Tent heater (optional).
23. Spare antenna parts, including a complete antenna assembly.
24. Personal meds.
25. Leather gloves.
26. Day pack (for hikes).

This is a good start. More will follow.

Hmfigueroa
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Re: Fuel (Jerry) Cans

Post by Hmfigueroa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:30 pm

JumpingCholla wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am
I ordered four jerry cans from Deutsche Optik (per Dave's suggestion), which seems to have a decent price on what is apparently a sturdy, standard NATO can at four for $156 ($39 each). The Wavian jerry cans seem to be going for around $80 each.

https://deutscheoptik.com/20-liter-jerr ... -four.html

However, I received notice from Deutsche Optik that their cans are on backorder for 2-4 weeks. So, if you need a few and intend to source from DO, better get your orders in.
A very good product at a great price especially if you get the four pack.

LuckyJohn
Call Sign: KM6ROX

Post by LuckyJohn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 pm

DaveK wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:39 pm
GEAR REQUIREMENTS, SET-UP, SAFETY

A lot of general stuff here.

1. Roger - can you bring terrestrial and astronomical telescopes?

2. All - Does anyone need help setting up either Ham radios or APRS?

3. All - best to tell family and friends where you will be along with our itinerary.

4. All - I doubt that there will be any cell phone coverage once we hit dirt. I will be running Airmail (HF email) for the entire trip, making it possible to communicate with anyone, via regular email, regardless of our location. If you want to send and receive emails during the trip using my Airmail, I will need the addresses you wish to use. I must have them well before the start of the trip. Send them to me at my email address, DO NOT post them here.

5. Anyone plan on bringing a generator?

No generator.

6. Unless there is an objection, we will work in pairs to do meals - in other words, each meal will be handled by two campers. We'll work on assignments later.

Sounds good

7. How many refrigerator units do we have? I know that Roger, Hector, Cholla, and I have them.

No refrigerator

8. NOTE: Please be fully gassed up (including your Jerry cans) and have all food purchased as we leave home.

All good on Jerry cans.

Here is a starter list of gear you will need to carry:

1. Lantern. I prefer a Coleman two mantle, but no need to buy one if you don't have one. A good LED lantern, with decent output should do.
2. Cooking gear, including stove, utensils, fuel for stove, cleaning stuff, pots, pans skillets, etc.
3. First Aid kit - with current, non-expired, stuff.
4. Jack (factory) and Hi-Lift, if possible.
5. Spare tire (with adequate tread and fully inflated) within one size of the 4 on the vehicle.
6. Tire patch kit.
7. Recovery straps.
8. Fire extinguisher.
9. recovery points front and rear.
10. Extraction gear - shovel, D-rings
11. Chair.
12. Table.
13. Paper towels
14. Extra automotive fluids
15. Spare vehicle parts.
16. Drinking water.
17. Hand soap and lotion
18. Trash bags.
19. Coffee mug.
20. Wine glass.
21. Binoculars
22. Tent heater (optional).
23. Spare antenna parts, including a complete antenna assembly.
24. Personal meds.
25. Leather gloves.
26. Day pack (for hikes).

This is a good start. More will follow.
All good on this list

John
God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Since it had been a month since I ordered four jerry cans from Deutsche Optik, I gave them a call today. They said that the cans are being transported to the U.S., and should be shipped out within two weeks. That's less than three weeks from our planned departure, so I'm going to keep a close eye on this.

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 pm

JumpingCholla wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:59 pm
Since it had been a month since I ordered four jerry cans from Deutsche Optik, I gave them a call today. They said that the cans are being transported to the U.S., and should be shipped out within two weeks. That's less than three weeks from our planned departure, so I'm going to keep a close eye on this.
Thanks for the update. I also have some on order. I'm going to call on Friday to get an update. They told me when I ordered them they would be shipped in 4 to 6 weeks. I ordered them on the March 13th so it looks like the time line is correct.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks, Phil.

For those intending to hike to the canyon, I came across the following review after noticing that our local Costco had these relatively inexpensive Trekking Poles in stock. Maybe worth a try?
Costco Trekking Poles – 2018 Edition

My own preference is the lightweight Sotol Hiking Staff, available in many places, though I also use a 30-year-old aluminum one that takes down into two sections.
Sotol Hiking Staff

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Voodoo Blue 57 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 pm
JumpingCholla wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:59 pm
Thanks for the update. I also have some on order. I'm going to call on Friday to get an update. They told me when I ordered them they would be shipped in 4 to 6 weeks. I ordered them on the March 13th so it looks like the time line is correct.
Sort of bad news. I call yesterday and talked to Deutsche Optik and the update on the Jerry cans is they will not reach Deutsche until the last week of April or the first week of May. The company is located just south of Carson City, NV and I don't think they will get here in time for out trip. So I'm starting to look into alternatives.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 pm

That would be cutting it too close. The Wavians are twice the cost: Wavian Jerry Cans.

I believe I saw some 5-gallon plastic cans last week at Costco in the rectangular jerry can shape, but I’m assuming that plastic would be dangerously unsafe, especially since I’ll need to carry these inside my vehicle.

Update 2018-04-07: Didn’t want this bothering me so went with the Wavians. They charge CA tax, but no shipping charges.
Update 2018-04-09: Thanks for the information and offer, Roger. The SportsmansGuide.com cans look good, but order already submitted.
Last edited by JumpingCholla on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:56 pm

You might want to try Sportsmans Guide -

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... fuel+tanks

I have a spare U.S. military style 5 gal can you can borrow. It's the kind with the large spin on cap. Unfortunately, they can only be transported upright as fuel tends to leak slightly around the rivet attaching the retention chain to the center of the cap. I have the nozzle to go with it.

Jeepergeo

Temperatures and Rain - General

Post by Jeepergeo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:51 am

I did a little looking into the average temperature and rainfall for the Parashant area, and did not find much. Here are some tables for the Grand Canyon, including the North and South Rims and in the Inner Gorge.
Grand Canyon - Avg Temps.JPG
Grand Canyon - Avg Temps.JPG (83.56 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Grand Canyon - Avg Precip.JPG
Grand Canyon - Avg Precip.JPG (102.48 KiB) Viewed 62 times

Return to “PARASHANT & NORTH RIM EXPEDITION 2018”