2019 Arizona and Utah Expedition

Plan here for the multi-day expedition to some of the most spectacular country in the world. Not an Outdoor Adventure USA sanctioned trip.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

2019 Arizona and Utah Expedition

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:51 pm

The expedition this year will be a 4WD trip concentrated primarily in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. The locations we visit will be an interesting mix, some of which are on Navajo Nation land and some of which will be on public land. Some of the trip will involve driving through the destinations and some will involve hiking. Some of the destinations will require that we obtain special permission, and in some cases, we may will need a guide. Regardless of the location, the scenery will be spectacular.

SIGN-UP LIST

1. Davek
2. Jeeper geo
3. Cholla
4. Lucky John
5. Hector
6. Scott

DETAILS:

1. Trip length will be about 10-14 days. Almost all of the locations will be remote, meaning that no facilities will be available. While not every trail will require 4WD, there are parts that will.

2. Dates will be April 22 through May 3

Below are an initial listing of locations. The areas on public land are usually open. Navajo Nation land rules however, have been changing over the years and this may have an impact on what we are able to do. All of this will be resolved as we plan for the trip.

1. HUNTS MESA.

Hunt’s Mesa is located in Monument Valley on Navajo Nation land. If you are a western movie fan, especially John Wayne, you have seen this area many times. It was a favorite shooting location for director John Ford. MV is spectacular to see from the valley floor, but experiencing it from the mesas above is equally so. Its kind of like seeing the Grand canyon from the rim and then seeing it while rafting the Colorado River. This is one location that has seem some changes in park rules. If we are able to drive our own vehicles to the Mesa, then the odds of visiting this area improve.

2. FABLE VALLEY
Fable Valley is located near Beef Basin (Utah). It is a very remote location tucked away in the recesses of the nearby hills, and concealed in the hill sides are some excellent Anasazi ruins, seen by few visitors. The main trail in and out of FV is located on the valley floor, from which many of the ruins can be seen. This will be a full day adventure.

3. BEEF BASIN

Beef Basin will be the base camp from which we explore Fable Valley and the numerous ruins actually located in Beef Basin. BB is in a very remote area, located south of Canyonlands National Park. Using the shortest route possible, it is a little over 100 miles of travel getting to the nearest point of civilization. Aside from the incredible scenery, Beef Basin was once home to ancient Indian tribes and the ruins of their dwellings exist today. Unlike our trips to the Navajo Nation of the past, this area is on public land and guides are not necessary to explore these sites. As sometimes happens, after our last trip to BB, I was able to find some terrific maps of the area which showed the location of some wonderful Anasazi ruins, that I did not have during the trip. This will make for some impressive finds.

4. NATURAL BRIDGES NATIONAL MONUMENT
Bridges was the first national monument in Utah, being established in 1908. This is from the National Park service information brochure:
Natural Bridges sits high on Cedar Mesa, 6,500 feet above sea level. Intermittent streams
have cut two deep canyons and three massive bridges in sandstone formed from what was
once the shore of an ancient sea. At each of the bridges, trails descend into the canyons
from the loop road. A longer trail meanders along the canyon bottoms through oak and
cottonwood groves (shown above), connecting the three bridges in one loop hike.
This site can be a one day trip. Touring the sights is mostly vehicle based with some short hikes to the bridges. Camping at established sites is available on a FCFS basis. With only 13 campsites, we may not find accommodations - we’ll see. Fees are very modest. For more information, see: http://www.nps.gov/nabr/index.htm .

5. VALLEY OF THE GODS
VOTG can either be a camping spot or a 1 hour detour to another location. There are no established campsites, but some spectacular dispersed camping is available. The 17 mile dirt road through the area gives the impression of a miniature Monument Valley. This description is from Utah.com:
Valley of the Gods is a scenic backcountry area in southeastern Utah, near Mexican Hat. It is a hidden gem with scenery similar to that of nearby Monument Valley. Valley of the Gods offers isolated buttes, towering pinnacles and wide open spaces that seem to go on forever.
6. WATERHOLES CANYON
Located in the Glen Canyon National Recreation area and the Navajo Nation. See: http://www.summitpost.org/waterholes-canyon/716826 . Waterholes is very similar to Antelope Canyon but without the crowds. There are 3 different level of difficulty, the easiest being the most spectacular. The other levels require some form of canyoneering (rapelling) skills and the equipment to go along with the skills.

7. COAL MINE CANYON

The canyon is located near Tuba City and involves a 1.5 to 3.0 mile hike. There are conflicting stories of whether there are trails to the bottom, but for the adventurous, it may be possible. From early indications, a guide is not necessary, but if a trail is available, we may need the services of a local to get us down to the bottom of the canyon. Extremely picturesque. See http://www.yourhikeguide.com/2013/02/02 ... ne-canyon/.

8. ALSTROM POINT
AP is located on a mesa above Lake Powell with a view of Gunsite Butte. The vistas from camp are spectacular. This can be either a campsite for one evening or a two day rest stop. The picture below says it all!!

9. DARK CANYON -DRY MESA
The dry Mesa area holds some amazing scenery and camping areas. Good rest spot.

We will most likely make some changes to this itinerary, especially if we are able to have Monte Wells join our tour. So, who wants to sign up?

Some teaser shots:

One of our famous chefs preparing dinner at Alstrom Point:

DTK Cooking at Lake Powell (Large).JPG
DTK Cooking at Lake Powell (Large).JPG (114.52 KiB) Viewed 7560 times

Other teaser shots:

Teaser 4.jpg
Teaser 4.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
Teaser1.jpg
Teaser1.jpg (120.51 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
Teaser2.jpg
Teaser2.jpg (168.46 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
Teaser3.jpg
Teaser3.jpg (120.58 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
Teaser5.jpg
Teaser5.jpg (137.64 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Jeepergeo

Re: 2019 Arizona and Utah Expedition

Post by Jeepergeo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 pm

Dave,
Count me in. Jeep TJ.
Jeeper

brentbba
Call Sign: KI6SGO

Post by brentbba » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Probably a little too soon for a real itinerary to know if there's any way to allow us working folks to cut out and head home on the 27th or 28th? All your trips like this are epic. I just can't swing two weeks.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 pm

brentbba wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm
Probably a little too soon for a real itinerary to know if there's any way to allow us working folks to cut out and head home on the 27th or 28th? All your trips like this are epic. I just can't swing two weeks.

Brent

All of the locations we will be visiting are only accessible by dirt trails. But, in order to get to many of these locations we will need to travel on paved roads, all of which will allow you make a quick exit to return home. So, yes, you can depart anytime you need.

Hope you can join us.
DaveK
K6DTK

JumpingCholla

Post by JumpingCholla » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Signing up myself and wife.

LuckyJohn
Call Sign: KM6ROX

Post by LuckyJohn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Hope all are well.
Would love to attend.
Thanks for your consideration.
LuckyJohn
Km6rox
God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

Hmfigueroa
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Post by Hmfigueroa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 pm

All beautiful and rugged areas.

Looking forward to the trip

Hector

SAB

Post by SAB » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:49 am

It looks like my work will not be requiring me to travel! So, please count me in. Im trying to convince the little lady to come along too. As such, I may be bringing my own vehicle and not riding with Lucky John (although I havent talked with him about that yet).

As for the details, Antelope Canyon is a must see! We were in Page for the new year and took two tours of antelope canyon: Lower and X. Both were worth putting up with the tourist experience.

Attachments
IMG_20181229_135917158_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181229_135917158_HDR.jpg (384.39 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
IMG_20181229_140618792.jpg
IMG_20181229_140618792.jpg (375.21 KiB) Viewed 7406 times

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Campers

Welcome everybody!!!

I have updated the first post and we are now at 6 vehicles. Planning starts now.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “2019 ARIZONA AND UTAH EXPETITION”