OAUSA Net - January 23, 2020 - Favorite Camp Meal Recipes

A preview of future nets
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

OAUSA Net - January 23, 2020 - Favorite Camp Meal Recipes

Post by DaveK » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Favorite Camp Meal Recipes

ANNOUNCEMENT For all those within the range of the Keller Peak Repeater, all is well and we will be seeing you tonight for the net.

But, for all of our IRLP and Echolink listeners, it appears that we have no internet on the mountain, due to recent bad weather. Unfortunately, access to the repeater site is blocked by snow, and it is so deep that none of the usual vehicles (including the power company) are able to make their way through the 10+feet of snow which covers the roads. One of the downsides of high level repeaters is that we get high level weather, and lots of it!!! BOTTOM LINE - we have no internet, which means no IRLP and no Echolink. Apologies to all of our out of area listeners.

Back to our Net Preview

Consider this a warm-up for our upcoming events. As many know, we are very serious about our food and we never let our remote and primitive surroundings get in the way of great meals. In fact, after a three or four day event, it may be hard to remember which meals were the best.

This is the opportunity for the great chefs and cooks out there to give out the secrets of their best recipes. For those who are considering joining us in the future, this net will give you a chance to see what you may have in store during your stay.

So, don't be shy. Give this your best shot, and make plans to join us. Just a couple of guidelines:
  • all prep work must be done at camp (no take-out food)
  • all prep work must be done with whatever equipment you plan on bringing (remember our camps usually have no facilities, e.g. electricity.)
  • all recipes must contain ingredients that you bring with you to camp.
  • recipes can be for breakfast, lunch, dinner, deserts, or appetizers.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: OAUSA Net - January 23, 2020 - Favorite Camp Meal Recipes

Post by toms » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Kids Menu

1 Jelly Eggs
Kids love this and adults enjoy it too. Use more jelly for kid and less for adults.
Very easy - do not add salt and pepper or or other items into the eggs.
Just follow the pictures.

Make an omlet with one, two or 3 eggs if you want 2 kids to share one. Make sure pan is well greased.
Make Omlet.jpg
Make Omlet.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 227 times

Place jelly or jam in the middle.
Put Jelly in Lm.jpg
Put Jelly in Lm.jpg (260.3 KiB) Viewed 227 times

Roll it up.
Roll it up.jpg
Roll it up.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 227 times

Eat it.
Eat a Jelly egg Lm.jpg
Eat a Jelly egg Lm.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 227 times

2. Cat Tail Eggs

Last night while you kids were sleeping I caught a big cat messing around outside and I cut his tail off.
We are going to have cat tail scrambled eggs this morning.

Start with a hot dog left over from a prior meal.
Cut it into medalions
CatsTail2-2.jpg
CatsTail2-2.jpg (303.05 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Fry them up nice and brown
CatsTail3-3.jpg
CatsTail3-3.jpg (422.36 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Add an egg and sramble it with salt and pepper.
Add hot sauce for the adults.
CatsTail4-4.jpg
CatsTail4-4.jpg (330.01 KiB) Viewed 213 times

3. Radish Bread
My adopted German Grandfather used to make Radish bread for me in the summer time when it was to hot to cook a big meal. We had cheeses and salami, etc. with the meal.

You need cheap fresh white bread
Radishbread1-1.jpg
Radishbread1-1.jpg (330.67 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Put Lots of butter on the bread and pleanty of fresh radishes picked out of the garden that day (or just go to the store)
Radishbread2-2.jpg
Radishbread2-2.jpg (307.15 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Slice the radishes. They can be as thick as you like. It needs lots of salt. Cut to make the open face sandwich easier to eat.
(The radishes want to fall off. For kids maybe quarter it also.)
Radishbread3-3.jpg
Radishbread3-3.jpg (338.89 KiB) Viewed 214 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

Hmfigueroa
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Post by Hmfigueroa » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:35 pm

It is quite surprising to learn just how quickly you can learn to make outstanding food at camp and on the trail.

Resist the urge to open that can of chili there is so much more out there.

I have found a really great cookbook written by a real cowboy and his wonderful wife.

The book is called “A Taste of Cowboy” by Kent Rollins. The book is nicely written beautifully bound and absolutely loaded with great food ideas. There are compelling stories that I can imagine would be equal to those heard around the campfire. Old cookie Kent Rollins has sections related to camp cooking , cast iron, sourdough, appetizers, desserts.

The book is available at https://kentrollins.com website, Amazon, and your favorite bookstores.

I am greatly anticipating his new book scheduled for release in March of 2020 “Faith, Family & the Feast”

A favorite camp dish is Huevos Rancheros, easy to prepare and absolutely full of flavor.
892C9454-3ED6-4279-AD49-46E85C7F5B9B.jpeg
Huevos Rancheros — Ranchers Eggs
892C9454-3ED6-4279-AD49-46E85C7F5B9B.jpeg (68.41 KiB) Viewed 209 times
I will let Kent Rollins explain his version for you so you can understand how easy it is. He really has a wonderful way of presenting information, His online videos are truly entertaining and useful with new videos all the time.
Hector Figueroa
Toyota FJC
Kenwood TS-480HX SCS DR-7800 Tarheel 2
Yaesu FTM-400XDR

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:35 pm

GREAT CAMP RECIPES

The question that most campers should ask themselves is, why would you spend so much time preparing great meals at home, and then turn around and serve anything less when camping. Stated differently, would you serve the same meals at home that you serve while camping?

I suppose not everyone will answer these questions the same, but for us, we believe that there is no reason why camp meals should not be as great as those we have at home, and that has been the way we approach all of our trips. So, in the end, it is not a matter of how quickly a meal can be prepared, but how creative and carefully we plan for really good eats.

Meal prep and meal time is is not just about great food (although that is really important.) In addition, there is a social component to this time. A good analogy, and one that makes this point, is something we find in most homes today - the kitchen is a central gathering place when guests are present. At camp, the same is true, and having several helping hands as well as dinner guests, who are all present while the meal is prepared, makes for a great experience.

And, while we are on the topic of the social benefits of group participation, I need to emphasize that all the things I mention above, hold true for appetizers, morning coffee, wine tasting, and after dinner drinks and deserts. Good food should go with good friends!!!

DTK's Take on Camp Meals

This will come as no surprise to those who have listened to our nets or those who travel with us on our various camping trips. My preferred method of preparing camp dinner meals is the pressure cooker. Recently, I had to replace my very well used Fagor Pressure cooker and was disappointed to find that the company was out of business. So, the search began, and ended quickly when I discovered the Cuisinart pressure cooker. Here is why I rely on the pressure cooker:
  • The entire meal can be prepared in one pot
  • the pressure cooker is not affected by altitude
  • since the pot is sealed, more of the nutrients remain in the food
  • the pressure used to cook also infuses great flavor to the food
  • meals can be fully cooked in a fraction of the time by other methods, (saves fuel)
  • meals are served piping hot (especially appreciated when the weather turns cold)
  • the pressure cooker takes up no more room that any other pot
Cuisinart Pressure Cooker.jpg
Cuisinart Pressure Cooker.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 202 times

Favorite Recipes

1. Chicken Adobo (Pressure Cooker)

This one is my favorite, and a favorite of many of our camping friends. This meal is an exception to my "one pot" comment, above, but only if you prepare the meal with my favorite side - rice. Sides can also include slices of avocado, tortillas, or fruit. The ingredient list is simple, but it is the pressure cooker which gives this meal much of its very flavorful appeal. Time permitting, there is a story that goes along with this dish, but for now, the ingredients:
  • chicken (thighs are best)
  • olive oil
  • onions
  • garlic
  • chipotle peppers
  • bay leaves
  • soy sauce
  • white wine vinegar
  • water
  • rice
Chicken Adobo 2.JPG
Chicken Adobo 2.JPG (65.47 KiB) Viewed 200 times

2. Beef Stroganoff (Pressure Cooker)

This meal may share the top spot in my list of favorite camp meals. With a good glass of red wine, this one can't be beat!!! For those with a camp oven, you are well advised to add biscuits, with butter, to make a wonderful addition to this meal. Ingredients:
  • beef (preferably filet, and from Trader Joes)
  • flour
  • onions
  • garlic
  • beef broth
  • mushrooms (lots)
  • tomato paste
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • sour creme
  • egg noodles
Beef Strognoff.jpg
Beef Strognoff.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 200 times

3. Eggs Benedict

This meal is an extraordinary breakfast treat, and it is best prepared with two chefs, working together. The ingredients are simple, and each chef can add the extras as he sees fit:
  • English Muffins, toasted
  • Canadian Bacon
  • eggs
  • Hollandaise sauce
Eggs Benedict.jpeg
Eggs Benedict.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 202 times
Eggs Benedict=2.jpg
Eggs Benedict=2.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 202 times

4. Chicken Acapulco.

I haven't tried this one YET, but the ingredients so fascinated me that it will (I think) become a favorite.

Chicken Acapulco Pressure Cooker Recipe (Large).jpg
Chicken Acapulco Pressure Cooker Recipe (Large).jpg (71.03 KiB) Viewed 201 times

There Is No Shortage of Pressure Cooker Recipes:

Vicky's Pressure Cooker Recipes (Large).jpg
Vicky's Pressure Cooker Recipes (Large).jpg (87.72 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Hahn's Pressure Cooker Recipes (Large).jpg
Hahn's Pressure Cooker Recipes (Large).jpg (67.25 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Cuisinart Pressure Cooker Recipes (Large).jpg
Cuisinart Pressure Cooker Recipes (Large).jpg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 201 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KK6DYO
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Chili Cornbread Pot Pie

Post by KK6DYO » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Chili Cornbread Pot Pie

Can be made completely in a Dutch oven, or chili can be made separately from cornbread.

Easy to make. Ground beef, eggs, milk, and cheese need refrigeration. Beef could be replaced with canned chicken.

006DEAD8-ADB4-485A-A4C1-7F174B470B8D.jpeg
006DEAD8-ADB4-485A-A4C1-7F174B470B8D.jpeg (504.84 KiB) Viewed 150 times

At Horse Springs Camp (Kingston Range) making cornbread in Coleman oven, chili in Dutch oven on stove.

ChiliCornCook.jpg
ChiliCornCook.jpg (270.02 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Made at home in oven; same outcome as using coals with Dutch oven

ChiliCorn1.jpg
ChiliCorn1.jpg (224.64 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Dig in!

EBC98D31-44A8-401D-ADDD-3442F3F0A71B.jpeg
EBC98D31-44A8-401D-ADDD-3442F3F0A71B.jpeg (217.32 KiB) Viewed 167 times

KK6DYO
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KK6DYO

Post by KK6DYO » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:05 pm

Please check me in tonight. Thanks.

JackM-KK6WXQ
Call Sign: KK6WXQ

Post by JackM-KK6WXQ » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Dutch Oven Tri Tip

Ingredients
• 2-3 lbs of TriTip roast
• 2 tablespoons of dry rub
• 1 - 7 oz. can adobo sauce Chipotle Peppers
• 2 cups of red wine
• 1 medium onion
• 1 tablespoon olive oil

Instructions

Preheat a 12 inch dutch oven over 8 charcoal briquettes. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and sear the tri tip on both sides just enough to brown the roast.

Remove the trip tip and place big slices of onions in the bottom of the dutch oven to make an onion trivot. You can also add bell peppers and other vegitables if desired.

Place the roast back into the oven so that it sits on top of the thick onion slices. Pour in about half a bottle of a good red wine (using a good wine is a very important part of the recipe).

Spoon out a half to one full can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce on top of the roast.

Place the lid on the oven and then place about 14 coals on top. This will give you about 350˚ F.

Cook the roast in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.

Of course you will need to drink a glass or two of the wine while you are waiting thus the reason for using a good wine!

This recipe is so easy I hate to call it a recipe.
I use the Costco pre-seasoned tri tip. There are two options at Costco both are fabulous. One is in the meat section in a blue tray with a dry rub. The other is in a sealed prepackaged bag.

Once the meat is medium-rare to medium (still pink in the middle) remove, slice and serve.
Dry Rub Tri Tip.jpg
Dry Rub Tri Tip.jpg (496.44 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Pre bagged Tri TIp.jpg
Pre bagged Tri TIp.jpg (528.81 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Dutch Oven.jpg
Dutch Oven.jpg (529 KiB) Viewed 191 times
UPDATE:

Okay, just wanted to provide a quick update-

After 35 minutes (I like the Tri Tip medium rare) I took it out of the dutch oven and let it stand for about 10 minutes.

Then sliced and served. I hope you all get to try this... It really is pretty special!

Confession:

This was an accident! I was going to try to make a tri tip when Dave (K6DTK) had half a can of those wonderful Chipotle Peppers. I had no idea what they were and thought what the heck... SO I threw them in.

Then I was struggling with the temperature and that's when Tom (KI6FHA) gave me a crash course on temperature control!

The onion thin was purely because I forgot my cast iron trivot... And so that's how this recipe was born (that I really can't take credit for!

Hope you enjoy!
After 35 minutes.jpg
After 35 minutes.jpg (418.62 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Resting for 10 minutes.jpg
Resting for 10 minutes.jpg (229.03 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Sliced.jpg
Sliced.jpg (306.88 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Jack~
Last edited by JackM-KK6WXQ on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackM-KK6WXQ
Call Sign: KK6WXQ

Post by JackM-KK6WXQ » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Check in Please:
Jack M. KK6WXQ
John D. KM6FXI
Kevin P. KK6DGL

Kevin is in Northern Cal but will be listening in and said he would try to get on EchoLink.

Thanks!

Jack - I jumping in on your post.
I followed your recipe last night. The Tri Tip was tastey.

Jack's Tri Tip Receipe 1-1.jpg
Jack's Tri Tip Receipe 1-1.jpg (407.32 KiB) Viewed 187 times

Jeff-OAUSA
Call Sign: WD6USA

Post by Jeff-OAUSA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:12 pm

Please check me in.

WD6USA
Jeff, Highland, CA
WD6USA

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."

- Lyndon B. Johnson
President of the United States

Voodoo Blue 57
Call Sign: W6PET

Post by Voodoo Blue 57 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Early checkin please.
Phil

"Never lost always exploring"

"National parks are the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst"
Wallace Stegner

Return to “OAUSA AMATEUR RADIO NET PREVIEW”