New Member from San Clemente

When you join, please say hello and introduce yourself here.
WE4BY
Call Sign: WE4BY

New Member from San Clemente

Post by WE4BY » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi,

My name is Greg, and my call is WE4BY ( stroke mobile 6 ).
I have been off-roading with friends for a few years, and got more serious about it when I bought a Tacoma last year. I have to say, it is great all-around truck for work and play.

Our local offroad club (Capo Valley 4 Wheelers, CV4W) uses 2m VHF radios for car to car communication, so I got my Tech license and a Kenwood mobile VHF-only tranceiver. Works great for the purpose. Then, with my engineering background, I decided I could do a lot more with radios than short range. I learned the local repeater system, where it works, and where it has holes. Then I went for General and Extra class licenses, and have been experimenting on HF, mostly 40m so far.

This weekly net seems to hit 2 of the things I'm trying to learn more about, so I plan to participate as much as possible. I will have to check into Thursday nets via echolink until I put up a stealth VHF antenna in my attic, or somewhere.

I look forward to learning, and sharing what I have learned.

Thanks,
Greg

Hmfigueroa
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Re: New Member from San Clemente

Post by Hmfigueroa » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 am

Greg, welcome to the group, thanks for participating in the net.

Your Tacoma is a good solid performer on the trail it can do some amazing things.

Enjoy your HF exploration it is incredible what you can do with HF. Give some thought to Field Day Summerfest coming in June, a great way to learn about HF, Radio and Wheeling.

Hector
Hector Figueroa
Toyota FJC
Kenwood TS-480HX SCS DR-7800 Tarheel 2
Yaesu FTM-400XDR

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:28 am

Hey Greg

Welcome to Outdoor Adventure USA!!!

Nice callsign! We are so glad you are enjoying the nets. Don't be shy about participating or suggesting subjects that you would like for us to explore. As Hector mentioned, we have several events throughout the year, and you may find them to be a great way to explore the American outdoors and Ham radio.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

WE4BY
Call Sign: WE4BY

Post by WE4BY » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:28 pm

I would so love to be part of OAUSA field day. But, I got my amateur license last year, and joined the local radio club (SOARA). I should spend time working with and getting to know those folks better. Until then, I look forward to the Thursday night nets.
Thanks for the encouragement.
- Greg

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard, Greg !!!

I totally understand getting familiar with your local ham group, but hopefully we can talk you into joining us for next year's events !!!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Hmfigueroa
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Post by Hmfigueroa » Thu May 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Greg,

Be sure to let us know what field day call SOARA will be using and we will note it in our log to ask for you in case our stations have an opportunity to connect on the air.

We will be K6OAU in SJV section.

Hector
Hector Figueroa
Toyota FJC
Kenwood TS-480HX SCS DR-7800 Tarheel 2
Yaesu FTM-400XDR

Return to “NEW MEMBER CHECK-IN”